PDA

View Full Version : Pool/beach gear for a 16-month old?

mamica
01-21-2007, 11:45 PM
We're getting away from the cold this winter, and dd will be 16 months old at the time of the vacation. What kinds of safety/play gear should I pack for a pool/beach vacation at this age? For example, she seems too young to me for water wings, but I can be a little neurotic, so I'm not sure if she really is.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I'd probably get a life vest instead of water wings or other inflateables. A life jacket will be more reliable. Target usually starts getting their's in around now and they sell baby sized ones. (you can also check places like One Step Ahead). Btw, I got the life jacket rather than water wing recommendation from this AAP link:
http://www.aap.org/family/tipppool.htm

A play pen or something would be nice as they can take off to the water so, so fast.

You may also want to look for a pop up tent so she will have somewhere to play that will keep her out of the sun.

Make sure and get some good waterproof footwear for her too so you don't have to worry about her stepping on anything ouchy. Lands' End has some good water shoes and sandals. Target sells Speed-O water slip ons that are really nice.

Have fun!
Beth

MarisaSF
01-22-2007, 12:12 AM
NOT water wings; those are worthless IMO.
If you will be on a boat at all or she will be close to a pool with any risk of getting into it without you, get an infant LIFE JACKET with a head/neck support and a crotch strap; we got one by Stearns at Target last year. I think it was for babies up to 30 lbs. Like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/132/117.html Keep in mind, a "swim vest" (like the kind by Speedo) are designed to help a kid learn to swim; they won't keep a kid's head above water.

My DD always loved a floaty thing. I'm not sure what they're officially called -- they're inflatable and the kid's legs stick through the holes. We got this at Target last year for way less than $25: http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/442763/117.html Depending on where you are or where you're going, you can get basic cheap ones at the drugstore for a couple bucks.

Sun hat. Shirt with SPF protection? Swim diaper.

If you can't find pool/beach things where you are; you should be able to find them wherever you're going. Good luck and have fun!

As far as pool toys-- DD always seemed happy with some bath toys -- a ball and a rubber ducky to chase around. In pools that don't allow toys, we had fun chasing goggles around. :)

new_mommy25
01-22-2007, 12:20 AM
I would buy her a swimsuit or a swim diaper and swim shirt. They will have towels at the pool if you're staying at a hotel but you might want to buy some for the beach. I like to bring hooded bath towels or the bath robes.

I wouldn't bother with the tent. No way she'll stay under there. Also don't worry too much about beach toys. You'll be able to buy all of that stuff cheap where ever it is you are going.

MarisaSF
01-22-2007, 01:29 AM
On the shoe front, if your DD is sensitive and/or has never walked on sand, bring socks and closed-toe shoes. This was my mistake once. I had only packed sandals and Maryjane sneakers. DD hated walking on sand until we brought her "Super Sand Shoes" -- big ole sneakers -- to the beach.

BeachBum
01-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree that your DC will not stay under a small tent, but she might stay under a family sized one, or an umbrella. Your resort may rent these items.

Our kiddo likes to collect things in a bucket, so that is a must have toy for us. I do think those sun shirts (which are quick drying) are very helpful--but they aren't very cute :( We also find a hat a must. I agree with the suggestion of "bath toys" or similar types work well for the pool.

As for the waterwings/life jacket...only you know your child. I would buy them and see what works. We have an inflatable pool (that we fill with a bucket) for the beach. It keeps him from running right for the waves.

roysmom
01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Be warned...a lot of children do not enjoy the beach at this age. I think it is just overwhelming to them. We took DS last summer, he was 16 months at the time. He enjoyed walking around the pool, being dunked in the pool by me or DH, and playing in the shaded area with his trucks. We got a ring float for him to sit in, that lasted about 15 minutes each day. He just was not impressed with the water. He would absolutely scream hysterically if me or DH got near the sand. We tried taking him out to the edge of the ocean, that was a disaster. I would buy one of those blow up kiddie pools or a cheap plastic one and set it near the big pool. You can usually find one at Wal-Mart, but the blow up kind should be at any gift shop near the beach. Your DD might be opposite my DS, but those are just some words of advice from a BTDT mom!

bluestar2
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
We spent lots of time at the beach when DC were that age and the things I always brought were sunscreen, towels, a brimmed hat, sports sandals and the SPF rash guard shirts. Occassionally we brought an umbrella if there was no shade at the beach we were going to that day. For toys, we've tried a variety of things but I found that a simple bucket and shovel, sometimes a ball, were all they needed. For the pool, they loved the baby boat floats which are like pool rings with holes for the legs and they sit in them. Water wings would not have worked at that age but I've seen the bathing suits with the styrofoam inserts which could work for toddlers. We had a cheapo inflatable vest too but never used it because IMO they were not safe at all. I second the certified life jacket with the crotch strap for boat trips.

luvmypeanut
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
We always bring sunblock, swim dipes, water shoes and hats in the suitcase. Sunblock is always expensive to buy in hotels. My kids like the sand but LOVE the pool. Depending on the hotel, you'll be able to get toys for them there. The Loews Santa Monica gives kids a beach pail set if you ask them. Other hotels I've stayed at have a big box with beach toys to borrow. If you have a float with the leg holes, bring it. If not you can usually get them at your destination. My kids still love to use those in our pool. Water wings are useless.

I've found kids don't need much. In a pinch, I've given them plastic cups and spoons (once the ice bucket from the room, too) and they've been totally happy.