PDA

View Full Version : Q about inkjet printing and scrapbooking

teddy
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
I was wondering how many scrapbooking people use inkjet printers to make headlines, journal entries, and other text for their pages.

I am getting tired of sticker letters - nothing ever seems to be "just right" on my pages. And my writing isn't so hot so I was thinking I could just type my journal entries instead.

I bought this CD-rom with lots of fonts from Jo-Ann in the scrapbooking section and it has lots of potential. But I only have a laser b/w printer so I am going to get a color inkjet soon.

So the question is, do you do this? Are you happy with the results? Anything I should look for in a printer? What kind of paper do you use to print on? Should I be concerned about the inks? I don't necessarily need the scrapbook to last eons, but about 40 years or so would be nice - for the kids of course! Thanks :)

teddy
01-23-2007, 12:48 AM
bump! Anyone?

elephantmeg
01-23-2007, 10:13 AM
I do, so far so good. :)

ETA I print on cardstock and have a deskjet 932C at present

KrisM
01-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't, but my scrapping buddy does this a lot. She buys from http://www.creativedelights.com/letteringdelights/. They have tons of alphabets, including png types.

teddy
01-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Neat site! Thanks for sharing.

masha12
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I am new to scrapbooking and have no advice for you, but I will share something I heard at an intro scrapbooking class last week.

The instructor highly encourages including your own handwriting in your scrapbooks no matter how bad or illegible it is because that is something that will be treasured by your children down the road.

She shared a story about a woman who lost her mother when she was 12 and the woman scrapbooked every piece of her mother's handwriting she had because it was so important to her to have that part of her mother preserved.

I do not have great handwriting either, but that story made me decide to include some of my writing on every page I put together. It actually does not look that bad. I do little squares with journal-type descriptions of the pictures; nothing fancy, but it is a part of me I want my children to have.

I share this not to discourage you from using your printer for headlines etc. (I would do it if I had the capabilities), but to inspire you to include your own handwriting, too.

KrisM
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree. My friend does the major journaling on the computer, but it's a big part of the page and would be hard to fit in most people's handwriting. She does do a lot by hand, but mostly captions on photo's, etc.

babyready
01-23-2007, 07:58 PM
I use my printer all the time for titles, journaling, etc.

I print it on the cardstock, textured or not, doesn't matter. I try to do the quality at normal, any less and you'll have quality issues, any higher and you run the risk of smudging.

If you want fun fonts, check out twopeasinabucket.com, there are also tons of free fonts sites but these are great and marketed right at scrappers. Plus they have lots of other fun stuff to look at.

Here are some ideas for printing journaling and titles:
http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Computer_Center/Printing/

HTH!

teddy
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I understand what you mean about using my own handwriting. I certainly do that for my captions.

I guess I just want my titles to look "cuter" than some of the sticker letters I've seen at Hobby Lobby!!!

Anyone like Susan Branch stickers? I love that look. :)