PDA

View Full Version : should I let SIL bring over a PUPPY even though I have a cat ?

TraciG
01-22-2007, 10:42 AM
I think my SIL is coming over tomorrow, she has a cute puppy that Sydney loves, she's still so little BUT I have a cat who is a scaredy cat and I don't know if it's smart to just bring in an animal when it's my cat's territory, what do you think ???????????

sdbc
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think it's a big deal if it's a short visit. Your kitty will just hide.
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

writermama
01-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Does your home layout give your cat a choice of places to go where the puppy can't follow? Would your cat still have free access to food, water and litterbox without having to go past the puppy?

Does your cat carry grudges and express resentment by peeing on or scratching up prized possessions?

Has your cat been around dogs before?

I might do it with my cats, but I couldn't answer for another cat or another situation. My guys would probably be a little curious to get a look at a puppy, then stalk off in disgust to take a nap. I'd make sure they had a place to go and a special treat there (new toy, catnip, treats),

npace19147
01-22-2007, 10:59 AM
And if you do let your SIL bring her puppy over, you might ask her to keep it on a leash until you see how everything goes. At least that way there will be a chance of catching one of them!

TraciG
01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
they would probably be here for hours with the puppy, but the puppy will sit in my SIL's lap. Yes Zoey ( cat ) would have access to her litterbox & food, she has NEVER been near a dog but was born outside so maybe she has seen one before I got her, not sure . Probably my cat would hide in my bedroom like she does when a lot of people are here . I would feel bad for her though BUT Sydney would LOVE to see Summer ( puppy ) .

thanks for responding :)

writermama
01-22-2007, 02:15 PM
I would probably do it, then, just making sure that the puppy is relatively confined and the cat is relatively free so he/she doesn't feel threatened or overly annoyed.

Sounds like fun. My DDs would love to see a puppy too. :)

kedss
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Since you know ahead of time about the puppy, I would put the cat in a separate room where she can get to her food and litter box for the short time the puppy is there.

But if you don't want the puppy there, ask your SIL to leave the puppy at home.