PDA

View Full Version : All-Day Sickness--Help Please!

kfk
01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I was sick for the entire 36 weeks of my twins' pregnancy. I'm at week 13.5 weeks with our little surprise and still so pukey that DH is getting concerned. I've promised him that if it's still like this at my next appt. (early feb.), I'll talk to the dr. By the way, I have "preexisting conditions" of IBS and heartburn, just to complicate things.

But until then, I'd like any and all advice on the subject. Really, no matter how far-fetched or old-wives-tale it seems, I'm game. I mean, really, I'm eating a "big hunk" candy bar (plain nougat and peanuts) right now, because I puked up the healthy "pregnancy approved" trail mix snack I ate earlier.

Thanks so much!

Puddy73
01-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Hugs! I hope that your sickness passes soon! I found that sipping ice-cold gingerale or chewing on crystalized ginger helped ease the nausea a little. I had a friend who got some relief from motion-sickness bands, but I never tried them.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

wencit
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Morning sickness just plain sucks, doesn't it?

In the beginning, anything super sour helped ease the queasiness a bit. Lemonade, salt & vinegar chips, sour Altoids. Also, sniffing a cut lemon helped me, too. I got a lot of strange looks, but whatever.

Don't stress too much about your candy bar. In general, I found that if I ate what I felt like eating instead of the "pregnancy approved," healthy stuff, my body responded to it a lot better. I rationalized that the BABY must have wanted it. Yeah, that was it. Interesting how my baby wanted a lot of McDonald's chocolate shakes, too. ;)

Hugs! I hope you feel better soon!

Wife_and_mommy
01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Eating high-protein snacks whenever the nausea started always helped me. Some ideas for you: string cheese, lunch meat, almonds, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk

I've been getting baby lust lately and I think you've cured it for me when I think of being so sick again.

Here's hoping it's very short-lived this time! Many hugs to you.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/dBwAm5.png

ShanaMama
01-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I have one word for you: Zofran.
I did not officially have HG, but was so sick that my midwife prescribed it for me. This is after trying Ginger Ale, protein snacks, a combo of Vitamin B6 with something I forget, etc.
Before I ate anything, I'd think- how bad will this feel coming back up? FYI- peanut butter is the worst! TMI, I know!
I will warn you that it's expensive, so insurance doesn't run to cover it. But if you decide it's appropriate, I think it's a miracle drug.
Good luck!

s_gosney
01-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Morning sickness is no fun, but I can't imagine trying to keep up with twins too. I don't have much personal experience to share, but I remembered seeing this website posted here before helpher.org. I looked around there a little one time to gather some info for a friend and it looked good. Hope you find something that helps!

MartiesMom2B
01-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I second the zofran. It was the only that helped me. I still felt nauseous though.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

g-mama
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Zofran.

I tried *everything* else anyone could recommend to me and none of it helped one bit. I took the Zofran and while it didn't relieve my all-day sickness 100%, it helped it by about 80% and I was thrilled with that.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

blueeyedb
01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
A third recommendation for zofran. It is expensive even after insurance and I have great insurance, but it is so worth it! And if eating a Big Hunk makes you feel better, eat one!

ETA: looks like this is the 4th recommendation!

kdeunc
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM
I also used Zofran and hightly recommend it! FWIW, my insurance covered it and it only cost me $5.00 a bottle so you might also be lucky! Hope you are feeling better soon.

randomkid
01-22-2007, 03:40 PM
I so feel your pain! 24 hour/day nausea for my entire pregnancy. The only time I wasn't nauseated or sick was when I was sleeping. Don't worry about what you are eating, you just have to do the best you can. I ate whatever I felt would stay down - Coke Slurpees and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream come to mind.

FWIW, I tried everything that everyone else said helped them (even acupuncture). Nothing really worked for me. Everyone is different, so really asking what worked for others will just give you things to try, but don't get your hopes up. Zofran did nothing for me - hopefully, it will work for you. My friend was on IV Zofran and that helped her - I never tried IVs, but now wish that I had. I found that Phenergan helped me a little, but I was still nauseated and nothing tasted right. About the only thing that helped was actually sucking on a lemon. I felt better while I had it in my mouth, but once I stopped the nausea returned.

Here's hoping you can find something that works for you. I know several women who were sick until 20 weeks, then got better - maybe that will happen for you. Talk to your OB about IV therapy if you are really sick. That's what I would do if I were to go through that again!

BIG (((HUGS)))!!!

Lilysmom06
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I also recommend Zofran!!!

I was sick the first 25 weeks of my pregnancy, and had lost 10 lbs. by that point. I think I tried everything! Zofran helped more than anything, Reglan was also pretty good. There is a drug approved in Canada called Diclectin (I think) which is not approved here, but the ingredients are vitamin B6 and a Unisom sleep tablet. I am not 100% sure of the amounts, but you could easily Google it. I found it helped somewhat, and I know others who had great success with it.

Just know I feel your pain, and hope you feel better REALLY soon!!

Kathy

emily_gracesmama
01-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I am currently on zofran, 4 mg pills, and it has made a huge difference, I did not want to eat or drink just knowing it would re-appear halfway through my meal. I am also still using my sea-bands and don't feel quite so sick and am no longing vomiting after every meal, maybe 3-4 times a week now. My doc prescribed the zofran with the ability to sub the generic and generics are still is extremely expensive without script coverage. A 30 tablet supply of generic,taken 3X a day so really only 10 days, is listed as $430, luckily my script covers it and they are running a free generics for 3 mths so I am getting it free. If you can get it go for it!

ShanaMama
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I will honestly admit that anticipating 9 months of naseau is one of the big reasons that I am not yet ready for #2. I always wanted a big family, but I am almost dreading the next pregnancy...
I personally would do labor twice instead of pregnancy.

chlobo
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
"I will honestly admit that anticipating 9 months of naseau is one of the big reasons that I am not yet ready for #2."

So with you on that one. I was sick for 4 months with DD. Never threw up but nauseous the entire time. Being constantly nauseous sucks.

Some of the non-prescription suggestions given to me were:

Papaya enzymes (they come in tablet form)
Large dose b-complex vitamin taken at night before bed
Real gingerale (with actual ginger in it)
Ginger crystals
Ginger tea

Good luck. If I were as sick as you sound I'd definitely go for the script.

val01
01-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first. I have had terrible nausea. I battled it on my own for the first 5 months, determined not to take any meds. I was miserable. The only thing that would stay down was greasy goods - seriously.

At my 20 week appt, DH insisted that I get some help. I was put on Zofran (4 mg). My co-pay is the same whether I get the 4 or 8 mg pill, so my OB wrote it for the 8mg and I cut them in half. I get by with taking 4 mg a day vs every 4-6 hours as prescribed.

It has really helped.

Valerie

alexsmommy
01-22-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure of dosage, but several of my clients who didn't have full blown HG have sworn by Unisom. and vitamin B6. The helpher site listed above should have the dosage. If your insurance won't cover Zofran it is really, really expensive. Good luck.

megs4413
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
i'm sorry i'm just seeing this now....i don't know how i missed it!

how often are you vomiting? are you taking anything for your reflux (you probably should be)? how are you doing with fluid intake? are you showing signs of dehydration? have you lost weight? what's your avg caloric intake? did you try any meds in your first pregnancy?

severe morning sickness is something to take seriously. dehydration can lead to many problems and malnutrition can result if sickness is allowed to spiral out of control. you're not a wimp if you need help for this. a lot of people will tell you to suck it up and move on, but that's just really bad advice. your baby needs you to take care of your body. (lecture over)

i had severe HG with DD and was fed through a central catheter for 4 mos. i had HG until delivery with her, lost 40lbs (at my lowest point), and went into kidney failure from dehydration. i know every trick in the book, so i've got tons of suggestions for you, depending on where you are now. a good place to start is B6/unisom in combination. talk with your doc about it. it's enough for some women. if you want to go without drugs, accupuncture is something to consider as well as ginger tabs, etc. (i'm not anti-drug, though....)

ok i guess i'm gonna lecture you ONE more time....

if you are showing signs of dehydration NOW, you need to go to the ER. NOW. seriously. do not pass go. do not soldier it out until your next appt. your baby needs you. signs of dehydration:
-dark, concentrated urination
-infrequent urination
-dry skin and lips
-dark, sunken eyes
-headache, dizziness, fatigue
-nausea
-a feeling of "hopelessness"
-rapid heart rate

check out helpher.org. TONS of great information, even if you don't "techincally" have HG (though i think you do). let me know how i can help! big big big hugs!

Edited to add:

BTW a generic zofran was just introduced this past month for all you zofran lovers. it is cheaper than the regular zofran and is more easily covered with insurance. it's not a ton cheaper yet, but this is very good news for the future! meds aren't as expensive!!!

kfk
01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all of your advice. I guess I'm stuck in the soldier on mentality because I did that for my entire pregancy with the twins. My doctor never intervened, and was happy with my weight gain (31 lbs.). But, I ate like a teenage boy for the first 6 months after their birth!

Right now, the extreme horribleness of the first 10 weeks has lessened. I do not vomit up all food and drink. It's way more random than that. For example, I did great all day yesterday (and even managed a sandwich with veggies for lunch--disguised with lots of pickles!), but then totally lost dinner (middle eastern food). I am constantly thirsty, and at this point only cold water (plain and fizzy) or diet coke (though I limit that) appeal to drink.

The signs of dehydration are really helpful. My only signs are the dry skin/lips, headache/fatigue (I've been blaming my job/twins/DH for this), nausea and circles under my eyes. I am also slightly anemic, which I'm sure doesn't help.

I did lose a few lbs. at the beginning of the pregnancy, but I haven't stepped on a scale since. I know that I'm not showing at all, other than looking like I have a bloated tummy (kind of like when my IBS flares up). I haven't been keeping track of my calories, either.

I plan to check out helpher.org. I am not drug adverse, if it's for the "greater good" of a healthy baby. But, I am concerned about the B6/unisom combo only because vitamins make me really nauseated since they trigger my acid issues. I haven't been taking vitamins for that reason.

Ceepa
01-24-2007, 04:23 PM
>Edited to add:
>
>BTW a generic zofran was just introduced this past month for
>all you zofran lovers. it is cheaper than the regular zofran
>and is more easily covered with insurance. it's not a ton
>cheaper yet, but this is very good news for the future! meds
>aren't as expensive!!!

Geez, where was this before my hospitalization for dehydration and before I was put on Zofran (costing $100 per bottle after insurance!!)

Makes a stronger case for considering another pregnancy, because after the last one, DH and I are both reluctant to go through that kind of household-wide debilitation.

-Ceepa

deenass
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I was sick for 26 weeks with my first (and for my first trimester with my second). I HIGHLY recommend a "relief band", it was created for chemo patints to help with nausea and can be used for sea-sickness and in my case morning sickness. You wear it around your wrist and it delivers a small electric shock every 4 seconds (sounds MUCH worse than it is and IS WAY BETTER THAN PUKING). Apparantly the signal messes with your brain's ability to process nausea - similar to the "seabands" (the elastic with the big bump) in that it affects the same nerve but this worked for me.

Apparantly you can find them at morningsickness.com (?) - I got mine through mu midwife 4 years ago, but when I wore it for my second pregnancy a friend noticed it and said that she found one on that site.

megs4413
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
ginger tabs might be a way to go. mint is also good. but i think you really need something to stop vomiting. i would consider going on a prescription anti-emetic like zofran. definitely bring it up with your doctor.

from what it sounds like, you probably are dehydrated. talk to your doc about it. dehydration can lead to all kinds of problems in pregnancy and really shouldn't be ignored. off the top of my head: low fluid levels, irritable uterus, PTL, UTI, kidney infection, etc.

it will also be difficult for you to get your anemia under control if you are dehydrated/malnourished. i'm sure you can't take iron pills cause of your tummy issues...this too needs to be discussed with your doc.

i'm glad you seem to be over the worst of it. and it's good that you made it through a pregnancy already and were OK, but that doesn't mean you should keep "fighting through it". this pregnancy is going to require even MORE from you physically, because you have two children to take care of at home! remember that your well-being, is their well-being. all 3 of your kids need you well!

can you keep a journal about this? it will help to show your doc what's going on. try to track your intake (calories and oz/fluid) and track your vomiting if you can. also keep notes about how often you're feeling nauseated and see if you can see a pattern in time of day. a lot of women with severe NVP or HG have "triggers": things that make them sick. through journalling you might be able to identify some of those (if you have any).

get going on this...there's no reason why you should suffer to the end again. you may just be able to feel BETTER this time! hang in there!!!!

megs4413
01-24-2007, 04:40 PM
if you're considering another pregnancy, i highly recommend going to helpher.org and checking out the mother's q&a forums. they can help you put a protocol together and even prepare for HG! my first pregnancy was horrible, but i got hooked up with the HER foundation and got a protocol together and even took some steps PRIOR to conceiving to help with my pregnancy...and it WORKED. no i didn't magically escape morning sickness or HG, but i was able to have a manageable pregnancy this time and was never in danger of losing my life.

there's hope out there and there's help out there! i would never have attempted another pregnancy if i hadn't found the forums over there.

Corie
01-24-2007, 09:43 PM
My doctor told me to eat whatever sounded good to me. If a big bean burrito
sounded good, then go for it. I ate a whole can of Pringles in one sitting.
And guess what? It stayed down!

From about 6 weeks to 14 weeks, I was sicker than a dog. I couldn't keep anything
down. Ended up in the hospital a couple of times for each of my kids. It was
horrible.

If you are keeping the candy bar down, then don't worry about it. My staple bland
food was dry Cheerios and Ritz crackers. Then, some sips of water and/or Pepsi
since I was so cotton-mouthed from being sick.

Good Luck!! You can do this!!

Ceepa
01-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Megs,

Thanks for the site. I'm sorry (but thankful for the advice) that you're such a morning sickness expert! :)

-Ceepa

fauve01
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Great suggestions from everyone. when my aunt was pg, she was at an asian restaurant and couldn't eat her meal when it arrived. the owners brough her umeboshi plums. worked great for her, and i used them too. my sister who takes some prescription for her lupus takes them for her naseua.

umeboshi plums are very alkaline (they're sort of pickled and taste weird, but they totally work) and the alkaline-ness helps get rid of acididy in your stomach. here is some info:

http://home.iae.nl/users/lightnet/paramahamsa/umeboshi.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ume

i got them at a health food store. they work really well! and we use them still when we have stomach icks. DD too.

also, when i was pg, i used the seasickness bands--not the ones with the little zap, like the PP mentioned. i just used DH's that he uses every time we got on a boat. they are like OTC (DH's were $6) at any pharmacy.

GOOD LUCK.

Anne + DD 10-03

kfk
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their great advice and support. Things have settled down a bit. I'm still vomiting occasionally, but will go entire days without being ill. I saw the nurse practitioner yesterday, and am measuring fine, despite only having gained one pound. But I've actually gained 3 pounds, since I lost a couple with being so ill. She would like me to gain more weight before the next visit in 4 weeks, though.

I've managed mostly by drinking lots of cold water or watered down lemonade (and the occasional diet coke or snapple--bad, I know), and keeping breakfast very mellow. At lunch I manage to eat a healthy sandwich with cheese avocado and veggies. Dinner, is mostly a snack, and then some sorbet. I've gotten sickest when I overdo the afternoon snacking or try to eat a "real" dinner.

I'm hoping things continue to get better, but at least they're not as bad as they were. Unfortunately, I have a real aversion to mint and ginger this time around. Though sour things do seem to ease the queasiness a bit. I've yet to try the u. plums, but I've seen them in my health food store!

kfk
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their great advice and support. Things have settled down a bit. I'm still vomiting occasionally, but will go entire days without being ill. I saw the nurse practitioner yesterday, and am measuring fine, despite only having gained one pound. But I've actually gained 3 pounds, since I lost a couple with being so ill. She would like me to gain more weight before the next visit in 4 weeks, though.

I've managed mostly by drinking lots of cold water or watered down lemonade (and the occasional diet coke or snapple--bad, I know), and keeping breakfast very mellow. At lunch I manage to eat a healthy sandwich with cheese avocado and veggies. Dinner, is mostly a snack, and then some sorbet. I've gotten sickest when I overdo the afternoon snacking or try to eat a "real" dinner.

I'm hoping things continue to get better, but at least they're not as bad as they were. Unfortunately, I have a real aversion to mint and ginger this time around. Though sour things do seem to ease the queasiness a bit. I've yet to try the u. plums, but I've seen them in my health food store!

megs4413
02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
i'm glad things are going better. I hope you're more yourself in no time....

infocrazy
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't read the other posts yet but I hear ya! I was sick with both boys until 18 weeks and lost about 9 lbs each time!

Lemon was my saving grace. I drank lemonade (the real stuff, not the drink) and sucked the strongest lemondrops I could find. It really did help. I would eat, then pop in a lemondrop. Don't know why it worked but it did!

Good luck, and I hope the end is near!

colleenfs
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Zofran worked for me too. It is expensive, but it was a lifesaver. See if your ob can give you some samples...

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."

betsydenny
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh I am soo glad to have found this thread!!
I just found out I am pg with #3 and had awful morning (all day) sickness with the first two from week 7-16. I am dreading it this time as both kids now have to get to school (last time DD was only 1.5 so she just watched a lot of Sesame and Noggin while I lay on the couch or ran to the bathroom) But now I have to function- every day!

I am so glad to have all the suggestions from you all!

My only addition is Limeade. Lemonade didnt do it for me but I lived on Limeade both times.

Also, my doc said eat whatever stays down. I found that anything What to Expect said to eat made me nauseous at the thought!

Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions and I am with those who would rather give birth multiple times than endure pregnancy- amazing how I forgot that now twice and am doing this again. Thank god I love the results! ;-)

Thanks!
Betsy

ShanaMama
02-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Interesting that you bring up lemons. Sometime in my second trimester (don't remember exactly when) we flew internationally. The flight there was really fine, the flight back was horrible. I was so nauseous the entire time. DH went to the stewardesses to ask for water & they gave him some fresh lemon, sliced. I just sat there & inhaled it for a couple of hours & it really helped.
Even now, whenever I get a stomach bug, I inhale lemon or cinamon tea, & the scent seems to soothe the nausea.

ShanaMama
02-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope this one turns our easier than the first two, with a result just as pleasing! ;)