PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Bush firing attorney generals for fear of prosecution

kristine_elen
01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
This is so disturbing I just had to post it.

Surging and Purging -- By Paul Krugman -- The New York Times-- Friday 19 January 2007

There's something happening here, and what it is seems completely clear: the Bush administration is trying to protect itself by purging independent-minded prosecutors.

Last month, Bud Cummins, the U.S. attorney (federal prosecutor) for the Eastern District of Arkansas, received a call on his cellphone while hiking in the woods with his son. He was informed that he had just been replaced by J. Timothy Griffin, a Republican political operative who has spent the last few years working as an opposition researcher for Karl Rove.

Mr. Cummins's case isn't unique. Since the middle of last month, the Bush administration has pushed out at least four U.S. attorneys, and possibly as many as seven, without explanation. ...

link to full story:
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/011907A.shtml

DDowning
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Wow. There are no words. November 08 can't get here soon enough - and, I say this as a registered Republican.

jeminaal
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow...never thought of it that way.

Our local US Attorney was also fired without explanation. The local paper claimed that it was because TPTB felt she wasn't pursuing enough cases relating to immigration issues. The funny thing about it is that during her tenure here, she had some big profile cases which focused on in fighting political corruption. One made national headlines: a certain former Republican US Congressman (a senior member of Congress at the time) who is now in jail convicted of tax evasion and taking bribes.

Oh dear. Scary.

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

kristine_elen
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Jeanette, was it Carol Lam?

The list [of fired AGs] includes Carol Lam, the U.S. attorney for San Diego, who successfully prosecuted Duke Cunningham, a Republican congressman, on major corruption charges. The top F.B.I. official in San Diego told The San Diego Union-Tribune that Ms. Lam's dismissal would undermine multiple continuing investigations.

jeminaal
01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Yes, it was. I liked her. :(

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

barbarhow
01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Scary, scary, scary. Am thinking about starting to use smoke signals for communication to avoid the risk of a phone tap. kwim?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!