PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for crockpot chicken recipe

Lynnie
01-23-2007, 11:26 AM
I can't remember who posted it, but thanks !! I made a whole chicken in a crockpot yesterday, just shoved it in there, sprinkled some seasoning on it, and turned it on low on my way out the door.

When I walked in the house with the kids after work/school, my ds1 immediately said, " wow, mom, why does the house smell so delicious ?" !! After the initial pangs of mommy guilt for so rarely having a home that has the wonderful smells of dinner, I did feel quite happy, and thankful for the simple instructions/recipe that somebody posted !! Even DH was impressed when he walted later, and said we need to use the crock pot more often. (yeah, right, "we"). Anyway, gotta love the BBB - thanks ! :)

ps anyone know if they have crockpots with timers ?? it was a late day yesterday, and 11 hours is a *little* long to cook a chicken...

o_mom
01-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I am making this today! I can't wait!

I saw one at Costco that had a timer - it would turn down to 'warm' I think when it was done. There was a coupon for it, but I think it may have passed already.

Here are some that are programmable:

http://www.crockpot.com/programmable.aspx#

Pennylane
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I must have missed this one. Would you mind re-posting it?

Thanks!
Ann

Lynnie
01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
1. Buy chicken
2. Get crock pot out of cupboard
3. Rinse and dry chicken; remove that stuff in neck cavity
4. sprinkle chicken with poultry seasoning or some spices that look yummy
5. put chicken in crock pot (add no liquid)
6. turn crock pot on, low 8 hours (or 11 if it is a long day, but that's too long really)
7. go to work
8. come home to delicious smelling house
9. make rice (and swear you are going to break down and buy a rice cooker cause you just can't make it right on the stove top.)
10. serve chicken with the rice and a salad (and think about learning how to make gravy out of the great drippings/liquid in the crock pot, but put it off till later)

I am sure it would be great with onions or something stuffed inside, but let's face it, if you are trying to get out the door before 7, and had not planned the meal the night before enough to have peeled and cut the onion, it ain't gonna happen.

Lovingliv
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I made this thanks to Amy (daisymom) a few weeks ago and it was a big hit!

Lynnie
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Glad to know who to give credit to !!

(could have gone back to search, but just too lazy.)

Thanks Amy !!

Now, about spaghetti sauce in a crock pot ?? possible ??

nfowife
01-23-2007, 05:54 PM
You can also buy a timer for your crockpot, they sell really cheap appliance/lamp timers that work just great!

ilovetivo
01-23-2007, 05:59 PM
-I don't even dry mine anymore.
-I put it breast side down.
-I make it w/ different seasonings each time. Lately been trying just 1 jar seasonings like Old World 3rd Street or Fox Point from the Spice House. Tonights msg free Lemon Pepper.
-My crock pot is 4.5 hrs on high for 4lb chicken roaster. Low is 7-8 hrs. I think crocks do vary, which is frustrating for me

ETA: took out already suggested item (onions, lemons)

Marisa6826
01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Lynnie-

If you're just going to stick it in the cavity of the chicken, you don't have to peel the onion. Maybe just cut it in half with the skin still on, but you don't have to cut it. ;)

I found this rocking stuff years ago called "Spike". They have it at Whole Foods. I LOVE it. It seriously has every single spice under the sun in there. I put that on the chicken, and splash on some Lea and Perrins. SOOOOO good!

-m

writermama
01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Rival makes one you can put on an existing crockpot.
http://tinyurl.com/yqg42v

Also, with most crockpot recipes, you can put everything together the night before, put the stoneware crock in the fridge overnight, and just turn on the pot and put the crock inside in the morning. That would give you more time to stuff things in the chicken (lemons, oranges, any citrus, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, any aromatics.

writermama
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Posted in What's Cooking, here:
http://tinyurl.com/343mgx

I have a crock pot cookbook that I think has a recipe. I'll try to find it.

o_mom
01-25-2007, 04:55 AM
OK, so I had a 3.75 lb chicken on low for 8 hours and it was way too done. I'm not sure if it is my crockpot or what. It is a smaller one and the chicken barely fit, so that could be it.

sdoyle
01-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a great Crock Pot lasagne recipe if anyone is interested!

Stacy

MommyAllison
01-25-2007, 07:54 PM
I made one yesterday - a 4lb chicken, cooked on low for 9 hours and it was just perfect. My crockpot is large and oval though. Sorry yours didn't turn out! :(

And thanks for posting this, Lynnie! You inspired me :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

Jenn98
01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Oooh, me me me! I want it :)

DrSally
01-25-2007, 08:41 PM
This sounds good, I'm going to try it!

Pennylane
01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Can't wait to try this out!

Ann

Lynnie
01-25-2007, 10:48 PM
yes !

will you post it either here or in what's cooking ??

thanks !

mommyto4
01-26-2007, 02:14 AM
I do spaghetti in the crock pot often. This is the only spaghetti my kids will eat. Here is the recipe:

2 lbs. ground chuck, browned
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 oz.cans tomato sauce
2-3 tsp Italian seasoning
6 cups tomato juice
1 16 oz pkg dry spaghetti, broken

Combine all ingredients, except dry spaghetti, in crock pot
Stir well. Cover, cook on low 6-8 hours (high: 3-5 hours)
Turn to high during last hour and stir in dry spaghetti.
Makes 8-10 servings.

Lynnie
01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
so sorry, how disappointing.

mine was a bit overdone too, seeing as how I cooked it 11+ hours, but we still ate it gladly when we walked in the house at 6 and actually had it there smelling great.

maybe tweak the time next time ?

my sil has one of those rotating spit roaster cooker things and swears by it for chickens. of course, don't think you could stick it on there and leave for the day....

o_mom
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I will definately try again and maybe only do 6 hours. It's not a huge deal since I'm home during the day to do a shorter time. The taste was wonderful, but just dry from being overcooked.

I need to find the manual for my crockpot and see what it says for how long to cook things.

gina
01-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Wow I will try this. I didn't know you could cook without any liquid in it. I have done this with a turkey breast before but it had chicken broth added. It was great but the turkey was so moist it was falling apart. How does the chicken turn out without the liquid? Is it falling apart?

Gina E

DD 15 yr
DD 11 mo

sdoyle
01-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Brown 1lb ground beef with 1 onion and 2 cloves garlic
Add: 1 cup water
6 oz tomato paste
29 oz tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
In seperate bowl mix:
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
12 oz cottage cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 pkg oven ready lasagne noodles

Layer meat-noodles-cheese 3 times. End with a final meat layer.

Cook on Low for 4-6 hours. (May need to alter time depending on crock pot)

YUUUMMMM! Maybe I'll make tonight. It's been a while!

Stacy

MommyAllison
01-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Mine was falling off the bones as I took it out of the crockpot - after 9hrs on low. It was so yummy and moist!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05