PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Foods for Superbowl

Jen841
01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I know, kind of a weird request.

DH is there for business this week. On the list to get right now is...
Twin Anchors BBQ Sauce (is Sam's Wine the only place to get it other than TA?)
Vienna Beef Chicago Relish
Vienna Beef Sport Peppers
(Are the VB items at Dominicks? Jewel? I know Cubs in Western IL have them.)

Any guidance on where he can find these, or other things he should get that can EASILY be brought home let me know. I am working with the Beer Distributor in hopes of getting some Goose Island here. May order an Eli's Cheesecake. We have Uno's around the corner, but that is my last resort. Right now I think we are going to do ribs and Chicago Style Hot Dogs.

I realize many things are available on-line, but my splurge on food lately is Super Suppers and since I have a session scheduled I am trying to find lesser expensive options. I am happy to cook things here (vs TA ribs for $100+)...

Thanks!
Jen
Formerly Jen in Chicago, but now in Philly

LarsMal
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Are Beer Nuts a Chicago thing, or an Illinois thing in general? DH has a Beer Nuts t-shirt, but I can't remember what that deal is with them.

mmmmm....too bad he can't bring back some Giordano's Pizza!

dules
01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know but what a fun party! I am a Patriots fan so now will be rooting for the Bears - go go go! :)

Mary

kristenk
01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
What about Garrett Popcorn? I don't know how long it would stay fresh, but I think long enough since they ship it. That's one of my first stops when DH and I eventually go to Chicago!

Sillygirl
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Second the rec for Garrett Popcorn, especially their mix of cheese and caramel corn. I had some when I went to a convention in Chicago last year, and it was the best thing ever. You think it would be disgusting, but it's incredible.

teddy
01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
If you can't get Goose Island, definitely get Miller Lite. And for your Chicago dogs, you must not forget the black poppy seed buns, celery salt, tomato slices, and the pickle spear (along with the Vienna Beef bright green relish and yellow mustard).

What about Italian beef sandwiches? That's easy also.

Jen841
01-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Garretts... they are building on in NYC! Ironically it is in the office building that I go to every 1-4 weeks : ) I could not go this week due to DH traveling.

Jen841
01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Not sure where to find the buns here, I forgot about that detail. Jewel? Dominicks?

Lovingliv
01-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Go Bears!!!!! (pats fan here)

table4three
01-23-2007, 06:10 PM
jewel/dominicks should have the poppy seed buns.

mmmm...hot dogs! i think that's what we'll do for the game too. Mmmm....

DebbieJ
01-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Jewel definitely has the poppy seed buns. They're by the deli.

I'm pretty sure they have the sport peppers, too. Not sure on the relish.

When I lived in CA, Trader Joe's carried Goose Island. You may want ot check if you have one near you.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

C99
01-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Are Beer Nuts a Chicago thing? I had no idea and I've lived in Chicago(land) for the vast majority of my life.

Jen841
01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll go to Trader Joe's tomorrow, thanks!