PDA

View Full Version : Three kids across the back seat of a car -- Suggestions needed (m)

JBaxter
01-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Ihave the volvo xc90 and I really like it. I only have 1 in a carseat but the center seat has a built in booster also. I can take a 6ft 15yr old a 5ft3 12 yr old and a 3 yr old fairly comfortably. The 3rd row seats are more comfortable for a shorter person but we rarely use them. I have gone on vaction for 9 days to the beach in my volvo w/ 3 kids ( we did use a soft roof rack)

More often its a weeks worth of groceries or 2 bags of football equipment :)

Definatly take a look at the volvo. I have had almost no trouble with mine in almost 4 yrs.

bisous
01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I saw this question and wanted to chime in--then I read about the models you are interested in. I was going to say that my Honda CRV is quite spacious across the back but it looks like you are looking for a little classier car. If you are at all interested, I love the CRV because it is actually quite small as far as amount of space it takes up in a parking space but fits quite a lot of cargo and many kids and adults comfortably. If it helps, I've fit a Marathon, Roundabout and Graco Booster across the backseat with just a little room to spare.

hobokenmom
01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
thank you so much for the suggestion. I like the CRV, but unfortunately I'm fairly certain that DH would never buy a Japanese car. I think he'll buy a German or Swedish car, but not Japanese. Why? I have no idea.

We've always bought American, so we'll see if he can actually pull the trigger on that and buy a foreign car.

I appreciate your thoughts, though, for sure, because it's nice to hear what others have fit in their cars.

hobokenmom
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
thanks. My friend just got one of those, so I'll have to check hers out. Do you know how big you have to be to fit in the booster in the center? Just wondering.

Marisa6826
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Amy!

We have a 2005 Volvo CX90 and LOVE it. Honestly, I can't say enough about it.

I have two Marathons in the back (they will fit side by side, btw), and there is also an integrated booster in the second row that I've never used.

I've fit three Britaxes across the back. It's tight, especially getting the third one installed, but once in, everything was fine. I've had two Marathons and a Wizard, as well as two Marathons and a Roundabout, and on one other occasion the two Marathons and one of those carseat/stroller hybrids.

I have also had a third carseat (a Roundabout) in the third row at the same time, with enough room leftover for cargo.

I don't have a problem fitting it in parallel spots, and it also has the nifty backup sensors to help navigate those Hoboken streets.

If you'd like to see the setup in person, LMK and I'd be happy to come show you.

HTH

-m

hobokenmom
01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks Marisa. I'm definitely going to have to check the CX90 out. I'm thinking it's only going to get easier to sit three across as they get older, right? But then they can beat the crap out of each other, right? I can only imagine.

On a different note, I don't know whether you had heard this, but Amy K. (the one married to Jonathan with a son Will) who lives uptown on Bloomfield, had another son this past November. Very exciting for them, as it was bit unexpected, I believe.

Hope all is well with you. We're still here in Hoboken (obviously) and believe me when I say I was so thankful for my A/C that Mike put in last summer (well, he GCed the job -- someone else actually installed the air) He's been great, especially since we have had some issues with the roof leaking through the a/c ducts (long story).

jacksmomtobe
01-23-2007, 10:30 PM
You might want to check out the Landrover LR3. We just got one since we couldn't fit the kids, dog and stuff all in our prev car. I was able to fit a Marathon in the center and a Boulevard in the side in the 2nd row. Since the seats are something like 18, 17 and 18 inches you should be able to fit 3 seats across or the 3rd row is supposed to be able to fit someone 6ft 2. It seats seven and all the seats in the 2nd & 3rd row fold down (we have the 2 carseats together so we can fold down the side behind the driver's seat to get into the 3rd row easily) individually so it gives you flexibility.

Good Luck on your car hunt!

Marisa6826
01-23-2007, 10:37 PM
That's AWESOME about Amy! Please send her my congrats (she will remember me from Michael). How did Will handle it? They're such great people.

Yes, if there's one thing you can say about him, is that he's reliable and will always come through for you. I really do miss him, as well as working with him. He really remains one of my all time favourite people.

So, yes, definitely check out the XC90. We ended up getting ours at Garden State Volvo in Manalapan. It's a PITA to get to, but we saved a ton of money by getting a demo. Another good friend of mine got hers from them and has been really happy with the dealership. Don't bother going to Montclair Volvo. NOT pleasant people, crappy prices.

Smythe is pretty snobby, Prestige in E. Hanover isn't bad. In fact, that's where I go for service, since it's only 10 minutes from here. They've been awesome everytime I've had to deal with them.

LMK if I can do anything to help.

hugs

-m

JBaxter
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I think I remember 33lbs and 39 inches. I probably wont have Nathan use it until he is 5ish. My XC90 is in for service so I dont have the manuel ... so how something got stuck in the cd player. When I asked Nathan what happend he just said "all broken mommy" LOL
I can check it tomorrow when I pick it up.
http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2004/2004_XC90/04xc90_01b.htm#pg17

Here is a site to the booster seat section it says 3-10yr olds I would NOT put a 3 yr old in the booster more like 5 -6 yr old .

luvmypeanut
01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
I have an XC90 as well and love it. Your kids are older so you'd definitely be able to fit all three in the back seat. The third row seats are actually for people 5'2" and under. I'm actually going to get the GL450 because it's roomier inside. The third row will actually seat adults comfortably. I don't use the third row day-to-day but we live in Hawaii and everyone wants to visit so I need to be able to seat more if I need it. I like that I can use the booster seat in a pinch, but I wouldn't put my very tall and heavy 3 yr old in it every day.

Try it. I think you'll like it.

shishamo
01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
I absolutely love my XC90. You can easily put the Marathon in the middle of the 2nd row and put the boosters on either side. With the third row folded down, lots of cargo room in the back.

The nice thing about XC90 is the 2nd row seats move forward and backward, so you can put the middle seat all the way forward and put the other two seats all the way back, that way the kids won't bother each other too much even when they are sitting together in the same row :-)

shishamo
01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
I absolutely love my XC90. You can easily put the Marathon in the middle of the 2nd row and put the boosters on either side. With the third row folded down, lots of cargo room in the back.

The nice thing about XC90 is the 2nd row seats move forward and backward, so you can put the middle seat all the way forward and put the other two seats all the way back, that way the kids won't bother each other too much even when they are sitting together in the same row :-)

luvmypeanut
01-24-2007, 12:32 AM
I forgot to mention that you can use the Ford Friends and Family code to buy a Volvo.

luvmypeanut
01-24-2007, 12:32 AM
I forgot to mention that you can use the Ford Friends and Family code to buy a Volvo.

daniele_ut
01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
>Thanks Marisa. I'm definitely going to have to check the
>CX90 out.

All I keep thinking is "Where the heck are you going to park an XC90 in Hoboken?!" My happiest moment in life was when my sister's boss told me that I could permanently park my car in the lot at their office at the old Maxwell house plant. It gave me back an hour of my day, nearly every day!

Seriously, though, I would loooove an XC90 and it sounds like it would fill your needs. If you're looking for American cars, the Chevy Impala will easily fit 3 carseats across.

daniele_ut
01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
>Thanks Marisa. I'm definitely going to have to check the
>CX90 out.

All I keep thinking is "Where the heck are you going to park an XC90 in Hoboken?!" My happiest moment in life was when my sister's boss told me that I could permanently park my car in the lot at their office at the old Maxwell house plant. It gave me back an hour of my day, nearly every day!

Seriously, though, I would loooove an XC90 and it sounds like it would fill your needs. If you're looking for American cars, the Chevy Impala will easily fit 3 carseats across.

pinkmomagain
01-24-2007, 09:51 AM
I have the Lexus GX and I fit my 1 yo (in carseat), 10 yo, and 7 yo (no boosters) across the 2nd row. The booster is not in the middle, it is behind the passenger seat. This car has been working for us fine, but it's not designed perfectly. The third row is a bit of a pain when we want to bring other kids along. I have to say though that nothing beats Lexus reliability. It's our second and we love Lexus cars.

That being said, we are looking to possibly get the Mercedes SUV in the spring. I don't think we are going to get that much more room, but it is nice that the third row seats are power so that when I am switching from carpool mode to shopping mode, it's much easier to adjust that third row.

HTH,

Gina

dules
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Most Hondas are (or were, when I had my 99 Civic) mf'd in the U.S., if that helps persuade your DH. Same with Toyota. :)

Mary

hobokenmom
01-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I honestly don't think it's a manufacturing issue. According to DH, the profits still go back to Japan to the heads of the companies, and my DH really really dislikes Japanese business practices, and therefore wouldn't support any Japanese company even if they are employing lots of Americans (and treating them well as I assume they are).

I'm going to suggest the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and see if he crosses that off the list right off the bat.

lmintzer
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
We're thinking about this right now too. We only have 2 kids, but we are getting to "carpooling age" and need to be able to tote another kiddo in a seat (or at least a kiddo in a booster).

We have a Nissan Murano. Right now, there's no way we could fit a 3rd seat in the middle between our Marathon and our Roundabout.

We're very curious about the new Mazda CX-9 (crossover vehicle with 3 rows). It is touted to have the roomiest 3rd row of a car in its class. Depending on how you access the 3rd row, it might be a good option for 3. I don't know how cargo space is with the 3rd row in use. I also am not sure, but maybe you could fit all 3 across the 2nd row. It's' a nice looking car and worth checking out, I think.

muskiesusan
01-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Marisa-Are your MAs FF or RF? I have tried to get two MAs FF side by side in my XC90 and haven't been successful. Maybe I should try again as I would really love to have access to the third row when relatives are in town.

Also, FYI, Volvo send out a supplemental manual last year on child restraints in their cars and it states that only boosters can be used in the third row of the XC90. Not that it has been a huge issue, but it did make me mad since that is not what I was told when we bought the car.

To the OP, I do love my XC90. I would be happy driving it forever!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Marisa6826
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Susan, one is RF, the other is FF. I've not tried doing both FF next to each other, because the girls would kill each other first! ;)

I didn't get that supplemental manual last year. As I mentioned, I've had a RA in the third row with no problems.

Can't you just slide the seat forward with a FF MA since the rear tether is attached to the back of the seat?

-m

hobokenmom
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi. I hope this post stays here and doesn't get moved. I think I'm in the market for a new car (soon). I have three kids - 10, 7 and 2 1/2. I really don't want to get a minivan, as I don't do much (if any) carpooling. We live in an urban environment and walk everywhere.

Anyway, I'd like to put all three kids across the back seat of a station wagon, or SUV. Any great suggestions? My 2 1/2 year is in a Marathon, but we could swap the carseat with the Scenera that's in my husband's car that we never use. My two older kids are in little Graco boosters (just the bottom of the turbo booster).

I'm eyeing that new Mercedes GL SUV or a Jeep Commander. Anyone check either one of those out?

Right now I have a Pacifica, which I love, but we have to use one of the third row seats and we have very little cargo room. It's tough to fit everything for a weekend trip.

What about Volvos? Anyone love theirs?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

muskiesusan
01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
My boys would also kill each other if side by side all the time! There are just a few times it would come in handy. I tried moving the middle seat forward, but it was just too tight of a fit. I should probably try again as my patience was wearing thin the times I did attempt it (not a lot of working room in there for an adult!).

The manual supplement was interesting. It dealt only with installing car seats in several of the Volvo models (it did apply to all the model years of the XC90). I don't know what the issue would be with having a car seat in the third row, but there was a blurb about it for XC90 owners without any explanation. I have been meaning to ask the dealer about it as it states only cushion boosters could be used and I wasn't sure if that meant just backless or what.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Lovingliv
01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I will be watching this thread for ideas....wondering the same thing myself.....