PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about my child's health!

bisous
01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi ladies! I'm writing tonight to ask for some help in trying to figure out what is going on with my son. He is 3, and diabetic. He does not have normal symptoms of a cold but has had a low grade fever for the past 4 days or so. He sleeps extremely fitfully at night. I finally gave in and gave him some tylenol last night and it really seemed to help him sleep. During the day he is generally happy but seems to have a "shorter fuse" than normal. If I disagree or say "no" he'll flip out. Also, he doesn't look healthy to me. His color is not great and he has dark under his eyes. His blood sugars have been high all week (but they do that when he has any little cold) but he has no ketones in his urine. Everyone around me thinks that he is just fine and I shouldn't worry but I am terribly worried and I'm not sure why. Tomorrow I'm calling the doctor but unfortunately, this doctor has never seen him (we're in a new area) and I'm afraid they'll look for the obvious and dismiss it out of hand. Do you think I should call his new pediatrician who doesn't know him at all or his pediatric indocrinologist who knows his diabetes really well but isn't a general physician? What would you do? Any clues to what could be afflicting him? Any advice would be ever so appreciated.

TIA

Jen

ohiomom
01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Trust your Mama instincts. If you don't think he is well then he is not well. End of story. ?ear infection? just some random virus? There is so much "crap" going around. Who knows, but I'd definitely take him to he new pediatrician. If I didn't like what that doctor says, I'd call my endocrinologist. As I'm sure you know, once you treat the underlying problem, his glucose will return to usual levels.
Trust that instinct.

brittone2
01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
No idea but two random things to consider:

Earache? Sometimes they won't always indicate they have ear pain

Sore throat? Can he tell you if his throat (or ears) hurts?

Couldn't hurt to call the endocrinologist no matter what I would think.

I hope your little guy feels better soon. UPdate when you get a chance.

Marisa6826
01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Sounds like he may have an ear infection, especially if he's not sleeping well. The only other thought is whether or not he has all his teeth. That could cause a low grade fever, esp. the molars.

I assume you've already checked him for any wounds you weren't aware of, or any sort of cellulitis/skin inflammation. That was how they were able to dx my DH. He ended up on IV antibiotics in the hospital one floor below me 48hrs after delivering Sophia.

I would take him to the new Ped (you're going to have to meet him sooner or later, right?), and if you're not happy with him, then give the endocrinologist a shout.

Obviously as long as his sugars are high, he's not going to feel great, or be in a good mood (I know that's certainly the case in this house!).

Please keep us posted on what happens tomorrow.

Oh, and Jen, definitely trust your instincts. If he suddenly gets you up in the middle of the night, and your gut says there's something wrong. Take him to the ER. No one will ever fault you for trusting your Mommy Gut.

hugs

-m

BTW, you can also try Motrin. It lasts much longer than Tylenol and may help him get some extra sleep.

bisous
01-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Thank you for replying. You are right, there is really SO much going around right now. I'll go ahead and call the new ped. I suppose there is no reason to dismiss him without giving him a chance. :)

bisous
01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
It sounds so simple--ear infection or sore throat but I'm hoping that it is something simple like that! I suppose I'm getting all worked up because last time I suspected a problem we ended up with a diagnosis of diabetes which was a pretty big deal. I'm going to go see the ped. but leave a message and let the endocrinologist take a stab at it as well. I will certainly update everyone. Thank you for taking the time to answer this call for help!

bisous
01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Okay I'm totally going to check out his whole body tonight to look for any wounds on the skin. That is a good lead. Its been cold so he has been pretty covered up and I haven't really checked him lately. He has had all of his teeth for a while. I was going to ask when the next teeth come in but I was thinking it isn't until kindergarten or so? Is this right? He has twenty teeth right now. I'm really hoping that the cause is something simple and treatable like an ear infection. My biggest clue is that he responded so well to pain medication. Evidently he is in pain! Thank you for the tip about Motrin--I'll try that tonight. And thank you even more for the support. It is good to be reminded every now and then that I'm not neurotic. :)

Marisa6826
01-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Aw, Girlie. You're not neurotic, you're a MOMMY!! :)

Just in case you need it, www.askdrsears.com is an awesome resource for meds and their appropriate dosages. I've referred to it a gazillion times in four years. :)

As long as you know a ballpark weight on your little guy, you're golden.

Here's the one for Ibuprofen:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp#T088901

Hope he's on the mend soon

-m

Tondi G
01-24-2007, 12:53 AM
You are so not neurotic!!! You are a mommy who knows your kiddo is not well!

I have to say that when my DS was 3.5 I asked him over and over if he had any pain in his ear and he said no. Then all of a sudden he was freaking out and said he had ear wax that hurt. I knew his ear drum had ruptured... sure enough the next day they found a perforation! Sometimes they have pain but just don't say so, even when asked. I would definetly use Motrin cause it will last longer over night. Hope it's something simple like an EI so you can get him some meds and he'll be good as new in 48 hours!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Tondi G
01-24-2007, 12:53 AM
You are so not neurotic!!! You are a mommy who knows your kiddo is not well!

I have to say that when my DS was 3.5 I asked him over and over if he had any pain in his ear and he said no. Then all of a sudden he was freaking out and said he had ear wax that hurt. I knew his ear drum had ruptured... sure enough the next day they found a perforation! Sometimes they have pain but just don't say so, even when asked. I would definetly use Motrin cause it will last longer over night. Hope it's something simple like an EI so you can get him some meds and he'll be good as new in 48 hours!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

denna
01-24-2007, 03:15 AM
No BTDT experience Jen. I just wanted to tell you that you are definitely not neurotic and you should trust your Mommy instinct. Especially since it hasnt failed you in the past.

((Hugs)) mama, and I hope the ped appt goes well.

denna
01-24-2007, 03:15 AM
No BTDT experience Jen. I just wanted to tell you that you are definitely not neurotic and you should trust your Mommy instinct. Especially since it hasnt failed you in the past.

((Hugs)) mama, and I hope the ped appt goes well.

punkrockmama
01-24-2007, 06:15 AM
>Trust your Mama instincts. If you don't think he is well then
>he is not well. End of story.

Exactly.

You've gotten some great advice, I just wanted to give ya a hug and I hope your little man is back on track asap. :)

punkrockmama
01-24-2007, 06:15 AM
>Trust your Mama instincts. If you don't think he is well then
>he is not well. End of story.

Exactly.

You've gotten some great advice, I just wanted to give ya a hug and I hope your little man is back on track asap. :)

mommy111
01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Jen,
No advice, just hugs and good luck, hope your little man feels better soon!

ShanaMama
01-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Jen, thinking of you & your DS today.
Did you go to the new ped? How did things go?

bisous
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi folks. First the good news. DS slept like a log last night. I think that the Motrin helped settle him (thanks for the tip Marisa!) but he seemed to rest really well even well after it should have worn off. At 5:00 a.m. this morning I had to feel his chest to make sure he was breathing and he woke up happy. His behavior and his blood sugars are still a little off, though, and I really think he should see someone.

Okay, the bad news. So, I'm fairly convinced that this is a case of a secondary infection that needs antibiotics. This should be an easy case to diagnose but I am having the absolute worst time ever getting a pediatrician to diagnose him. Long story short, we're on Medi-Cal and the ped. that was highly recommended to us "can't see him until Feb. 1" due to weird California insurance requirements that I don't understand. The health clinic in the area (which I was NOT excited to bring him to but felt like he should really see someone) won't take him because he isn't registered with LA County until Feb. 1st. (they didn't tell us this until we arrived at the clinic). I don't really get that either because we've lived here for over 5 months. That's right ladies. Absolutely noone will see my DS! I am in the process of trying to make an appointment in my old county which is over 50 miles away. I've already cried in public once today. Sorry for the dramatics but this is just SO frustrating!

I'll let you know when I really have some information. Sorry for the vent. :(

jayali
01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow, what a nightmare. Will your endocrinologist prescribe antibiotics or do you have to see a ped? I so hope that you are able to get in to see a doc soon.

Marisa6826
01-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Jen, that just SUCKS.

I"m sorry. Did you call your endo to see if he had any advice?

I'm really glad that the Motrin helped. Definitely keep it in your bag of tricks. ;)

hugs

-m

bisous
01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Okay. I'm feeling a little better. I have an appointment for 8:30 tomorrow morning in my old town with my old ped. that I love. I know I have to wait one more day but I figure that is one more day that his body can possibly heal itself. Plus, last night was really encouraging. I will definitely be keeping motrin in my bag of tricks!

The endocrinologist was very sympathetic and gave us new insulin ratios to handle the highs until his health returns. They offered to see us tonight through the adjunct hospital but at this point I'm just looking forward to seeing our old ped--even though it IS a 100 mile round trip. We're going to spend the day tomorrow visiting close family and relaxing and we're going to make this into a positive experience.

Thanks, everyone for hanging in there with me. I'll let you guys know what the ped has to say tomorrow. I know the insulin ratios will help with overall health and demeanor around here as well. :)

casey118
01-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Jen,
If you feel like it is urgent you can always go to an ER. I'm not familiar with the rules regarding registration in LA County that you mentioned, but your son could be seen and treated at an ER and Medi-Cal should cover it. If you are concerned about the cost go to a county hospital (such as Olive View in Sylmar). The cost for that visit will be about $80 (per my sister who is an ER doc with the UCLA system). Good luck and I hope your DS is feeling better!
Kimberly
p.s. I think always trust your mommy instinct.

Marisa6826
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh, Jen, I"m so glad that you were able to speak to the Endo. Did he suggest that you check his levels more often, as well?

Just know that we're all here for you.

Big hugs

-m

ilovetivo
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Jen - I'm glad you'll know more tomorrow. Hugs to your and DS! I hope everything goes well!

denna
01-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Well, today is the day of your appointment. Just wanted to say good luck w/ the trip, I hope you have a safe drive. I think it is a wonderful idea to visit friends and family and help make this a positive experience all around. I hope this all turns out to be something simple to heal :).

npace19147
01-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Good luck with the appt, sounds like you are feeling better since you have one. Keep us updated!

chlobo
01-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Good luck. I hope everything turns out ok.

bisous
01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi Ladies,

Just checking in using my parent's computer but I wanted to let everyone know that DS was diagnosed with an ear infection (as many of you suspected) and put on antibiotics this morning. It was a very positive experience (I LOVE this pediatrician!) and except for the 100 mile round trip to see the doctor I'm very happy with how this turned out. We'll be spending the day with Grandma and aunts and uncles to make a negative experience into a positive one.

I must say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for providing helping hints (like Motrin) and mostly thank you for all the concern and support. I'll check in later to let you all know personally how much that meant to me. But for now, because everyone has expressed so much love and concern I wanted to let you know that all is well.

Love,

Jen

Puddy73
01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Glad your little guy is feeling better!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

ilovetivo
01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Woo hoo! I'm so glad it's nothing more serious. He should be feeling better soon ...you too!

npace19147
01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Glad to hear it turned out ok! I know when DD has had an ear infection our peds has recommended alternating Motrin with Tylenol until the pain goes down - I think it's Motrin every six hours and then Tylenol every 3-4 as the Motrin starts to wear off. Hope it clears up quickly!

ilovetivo
01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
They alternate every 3 hrs. So basically it's Motrin, then 3 hrs later Tylenol, then 3 hrs later Motrin etc

Marisa6826
01-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Awww Jen! I'm SOOOO happy that you figured out what was going on.

Give your guy a big hug for me. He's been so brave over the past week!

hugs

-m

ohiomom
01-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you will find a pediatrician you can love equally well closer to home under less stressful circumstances. I'm glad the little guy is feeling better.

megs4413
01-25-2007, 10:14 PM
glad to hear he's gonna be alright....i'm sorry for the ear infection! hope the antibiotics have him good as new very soon!

ShanaMama
01-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Jen, I am so glad it's nothing serious. Not happy that your DS has an EI, but in the scheme of things...
Enjoy your day with Grandma, & hope he has a swift & easy recovery.

ETA: You were right to trust your Mama instincts. Noone else in the world is his Mommy.

bisous
01-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Thank you, BBB for all of your good will and sweet messages. This has made this somewhat scary and frustrating experience that much sweeter. Thank you for all the tips, for reminding me to trust my instincts and just for being really sweet about the whole experience.

Much love,

Jen

denna
01-26-2007, 05:31 AM
I am so glad that it was something 'easy', and that your DS is now on antibiotics. I hope he is feeling better today, and its great that you have such a wonderful ped to go to and you were able to see your family.

Sillygirl
01-26-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm so glad things are on the mend for your son. Your story is such a textbook example of how stupid the fractured health care system is. MediCal would pay for an ER visit, but not a PCP visit? What do people who lack the resources to drive 100 miles do? I hope you consider writing your state and national representatives just to describe what you went through. So much waste, not to mention the delay in getting treatment for your son. Good for you for being such a strong advocate for him.

punkrockmama
01-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Jen! So glad to hear that your little man is gonna be just fine. Rest easy mama. :)

jayali
01-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Jen,

So glad to hear that your little guy is on the mend. Your old ped sounds great. I am glad you were able to get in to see him. I'm not familiar with the CA medical insurance thing, and am so sorry that you have to deal with a nightmare regarding healthcare. Hopefully your new ped will be as good as your old one.