PDA

View Full Version : What to do when toddler is over weight limit of shopping carts?

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
What would you do at the grocery store if your toddler is over 35 lbs? I have noticed that on the seat portion of the cart it says not to use over 35 lbs, and avi is almost 40. He usually behaves fairly well but he is a two year old with little impulse control and who is very energetic.

WWYD? I would bring him in the stroller but it is very hard to push it with one hand and have to deal with pulling the cart at the same time.

Thanks!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
What would you do at the grocery store if your toddler is over 35 lbs? I have noticed that on the seat portion of the cart it says not to use over 35 lbs, and avi is almost 40. He usually behaves fairly well but he is a two year old with little impulse control and who is very energetic.

WWYD? I would bring him in the stroller but it is very hard to push it with one hand and have to deal with pulling the cart at the same time.

Thanks!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

Marisa6826
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I've never paid attention to see if there's a weight limit. Sophie's about 35lbs, and I've noticed that her legs are just getting too long for me to be able to pull her out of the cart. Now, I'm only 5'1" so that might be part of the problem, since I have to stand to the side of the cart to get her out all the way.

Most of the time she walks and Mia's in the cart, but sometimes I need to do a quick run in and out, or the store is really busy and it's just safer for her to be in a cart.

What about those carts that have the little cars or the ones at Target that have the kid seats attached to the back? They're a bitch to steer, but easier to have the kids in.

-m

Marisa6826
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I've never paid attention to see if there's a weight limit. Sophie's about 35lbs, and I've noticed that her legs are just getting too long for me to be able to pull her out of the cart. Now, I'm only 5'1" so that might be part of the problem, since I have to stand to the side of the cart to get her out all the way.

Most of the time she walks and Mia's in the cart, but sometimes I need to do a quick run in and out, or the store is really busy and it's just safer for her to be in a cart.

What about those carts that have the little cars or the ones at Target that have the kid seats attached to the back? They're a bitch to steer, but easier to have the kids in.

-m

luvmypeanut
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
If I have both kids together, we get the cart with the car in the front. If it's just dd who is close to 50 pounds and also tall, I put her in the cart section. I know, you're not supposed to and I'm not suggesting you do it. It's just what I do. And actually, I try to grocery shop alone. It goes faster.

luvmypeanut
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
If I have both kids together, we get the cart with the car in the front. If it's just dd who is close to 50 pounds and also tall, I put her in the cart section. I know, you're not supposed to and I'm not suggesting you do it. It's just what I do. And actually, I try to grocery shop alone. It goes faster.

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2007, 08:53 AM
I look for the shopping carts that are Ok for higher weights (like the ones designed to fit 2 bigger kids at Target) or he walks. I follow the rules on that one. Luckily ds was over 3.5 when he hit the weight limit. He was in school then so I just tried to run my errands without him. I hope you find a good option!

Here is some info on shopping cart safety from the AAP:
"For Release: August 7, 2006, 12:01 am (ET)

CHICAGO - As shopping cart-related injuries are common and can result in severe injury or even death, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that parents consider alternatives to placing children in shopping carts, until carts are redesigned to prevent injury.

In 2005, more than 24,000 children were treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms for shopping cart-related injuries. Most of these injuries occurred when a child fell from a shopping cart, the cart tipped over, the child became entrapped in the cart, or the child fell while riding on the outside of the cart, according to the new policy statement, "Shopping Cart-Related Injuries to Children." Injuries to the head and neck accounted for 74 percent of shopping cart-related injuries among children younger than 15. Of the 4 percent of children treated in an emergency room for a shopping cart injury, more than 93 percent were under age 5.

With the potential instability of some existing shopping cart designs, and because it is difficult for a parent to easily ascertain a cart's safety simply by looking at it, parents should carefully consider the potential for injury before placing a child in a shopping cart, according to the policy. Instead of putting children in shopping carts, parents can try one of the following alternatives:

· Get another adult to come with them to watch the children while shopping.
· Put children in strollers, wagons, or frontpacks instead of in shopping carts.
· Ask older children to walk and praise them for behaving and staying nearby.
· Leave children at home with another adult.
· Shop online if local stores offer shopping on the Internet.

If a parent chooses to place a child in a shopping cart, he or she should ensure that the child is properly secured in an effective and age- and size-appropriate belt or harness. Parents and caregivers should never:

· Leave a child alone in a shopping cart.
· Allow a child to stand-up in a shopping cart.
· Place an infant carrier on top of the shopping cart.
· Allow a child to ride in the basket.
· Allow a child to ride on the outside of a cart.
· Allow an older child to climb on the cart or push the cart with another child inside.

To help parents, the AAP recommends that businesses adopt shopping cart safety strategies and offer other assistance to help prevent injury. This may include providing a supervised in-store child-play area; a pick-up area or assistance in bringing purchases to a vehicle; cart modifications to improve child restraint and cart stability; strollers or wagons for in-store use; education and warnings about cart dangers; and/or customer incentives, such as stickers or other give-aways, to reward safe shopping cart behavior.

In addition, the AAP recommends that the current U.S. safety standards for shopping carts be revised to include "clear and effective performance criteria" for child-restraint systems and cart stability to prevent falls and injuries due to cart tip-overs. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission should closely monitor and enforce manufacturer compliance, and regularly review child shopping cart-related injuries, according to the new policy.

The AAP recommends that child health and advocacy professionals support revised manufacturer standards, and educate parents, families, the public, and the media on shopping cart risks.

EDITOR'S NOTES: The AAP Technical Report, "Shopping Cart-Related Injuries to Children," provides a detailed overview of the data behind the AAP's new shopping cart policy statement. A related study, "Improving Safety-Restraint Use by Children in Shopping Carts: Evaluation of a Store-Based Safety Intervention," showed a significant increase in the number of parents using shopping cart child restraints when reminded to do so on entering a store. AAP Parent Page offers practical tips for parents to help keep their child safe while shopping and/or using a shopping cart."
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/aug06shoppingcart.htm

Beth

JElaineB
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
DS is about 40 inches and 40 lbs. and while we used the shopping cart up until he hit about 40 lbs. he really is too physically big for it now. We have him walk or sometimes use those "car" carts where he can sit in the front. He is a couple years older than Avi, though, so I'm glad we didn't have to give it up when he was younger.

DebbieJ
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Put him in the basket section, get a car cart, or have him walk. A few stores I frequent have little kids shopping carts and he LOVES to walk and push his own cart.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg