PDA

View Full Version : why crying at nursery after going for so many month's ???

TraciG
01-24-2007, 10:52 AM
This week Sydney has been not wanting me to leave her at school & crying, I had to say goodbye & run out yesterday ! Today my DH took her & after he called to tell me she was hysterical, she loves school & a couple of week's ago kept telling me she loves her teacher's. Why would this happen now ???????????????????

Also I have posted about dance class, how she wants me in the same room even though all the parent's sit in a different room & she was much better with the class at the beginning, although at the beginning the wall was open .

Why a separation anxiety now ??

Piglet
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I find separation anxiety comes and goes for my kids. They are fine for weeks/months and then something triggers it. I can never quite put my finger on what changes trigger it. The only exception is if DS2 has a cold or ear infection - that usually has a temporary impact on separation anxiety because we baby him a lot when he is sick. Have there been any changes at home? School? Are there new teachers or new routines? Have you asked Sydney why she is upset? Have you asked the teachers if anything happened in class that might have upset/frightened her?

No major advice, just hugs!

DebbieJ
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
It's just a phase. DS was like this at school for a good portion of the fall. His teachers are great--they would scoop him up and get him engaged in something else and he'd be fine in like 30 seconds.

Now I give him a kiss and he runs and plays.

It will pass.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

maestramommy
01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I think Dora is much younger than Sydney, but I agree with pp, it just comes and goes. Leaving Dora in the church nursery has always been touch and go. We never know what it's going to be like. On a good day she cries for about a minute, then it's all fine. On a bad day, one of us ends up having to stay the whole service because there's only one caregiver and it's not fair if there are other kids. We ALWAYS go back and check (peek in) after five minutes, esp. if there are other kids.

lilycat88
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
It will pass. Yesterday...DD shoved DH toward the door saying "I will open the door for you and wave goodbye". Today... face down sobbing on the floor grabbing his ankles. Cause...her buddy she normally eats breakfast with every morning wasn't there yet. See if you can see if anything has changed at all. Even the littlest thing can throw off things.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

“We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty, and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.� --Unknown

squimp
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I think it's pretty common. There were several girls in our dance class this week (for 3-4s) who kept going out to visit their mamas. DD goes through phases of this at times, and sometimes there's not even an explanation. I would ask the teacher at school if they've noticed anything though.

Seems to me that separation anxiety can strike at any time. And then when you go to pick them up, they don't want to leave. Preschoolers!