PDA

View Full Version : What do you do during "down-time"?

spu
01-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Just curious if I'm the only one washing dishes when I can sneak 15 minutes of down time to do something more productive... shouldn't I be napping or doing crunches or something else (besides eating Dove Miniatures!) What do you do? :)

susan

maestramommy
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM
You missed an option. Coming here, LOL! Unless I know I have a huge chunk of downtime I'm not likely to start a chore or take a nap. As for exercise, I'm about to start now that I have my yoga video. Probably during Dora's nap :-)

Lynnie
01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
definately don't do dishes or other tasks, which is why my house isn't nearly as neat as my sil's.

I come here.

or read a magazine.

or just surf the web.

or if its during the day on the weekend, take a nap or go outside and get some sun.

if dh is around, ride my bike around the neighborhood.

table4three
01-24-2007, 03:21 PM
You forgot to add "browsing the internet and reading BBB" as an option! ;)

KrisM
01-24-2007, 03:43 PM
With DS not napping, I don't have downtime these days. I get a minute or two at most and then I check e-mail or come here!

rlu
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
I marked nap since that's what I hope to do when DS naps. But first I work a while (I work from home PT 2 days a week) and then I nap until DS wakes up. If I think I'll nap for less than 30 minutes though, I'll either play on the internet (especially if my computer is still on from working) or read a book. I don't do anything that will wake up DS, so no running water (dishes or laundry) or vacuuming (my word I can't spell). Otherwise I don't have downtime until bedtime which is when I do my hardcore reading.

tylersmama
01-24-2007, 04:18 PM
I agree, for short times, I get online and check my email, surf BBB, etc. For longer times, I try to have a project ready to go, like clean the bathrooms, do laundry, work on the baby book, etc. Or, depending how the day's going, taking a nap! :)

Since I'm practically a single mom right now (DH travels weekly for work), exercise has to involve taking DS with me. We belong to a hiking group for moms and babies, so I kind of consider that downtime. It's "mommy time" at least, even if DS is on my back!

daisymommy
01-24-2007, 07:41 PM
It all depends upon:
a) How messy the house is
b) How early in the day is it...meaning
c) How many more hours until DH comes home and sees the messy house and wants dinner? ;)

If it's 10 am and Hannah is asleep and Joshua is watching a video, then I grab an extra cup of cofee and get online.
But if it's 4:00 pm. and the kids are asleep, but the dishes are still in the sink, the laundry is overflowing out of the basket, and I haven't a clue as to what's for dinner (because I was online at 10 am. ;))--then I get my tail in gear and pull it all together so when DH walks in the door at 5:30-6:00 pm. it looks like I've been hard at work all day :)