PDA

View Full Version : Is this eczema? Should I be concerned?

tylersmama
01-24-2007, 03:29 PM
UPDATE: I called the ped's office today because I really started thinking that the spot on his cheek (the fact that it's hard underneath) isn't normal, and the nurse wanted him to come in to get it checked, so I will ask about the scaly patches when we see the ped in the morning. Thank you, everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS has started developing some dry, scaly patches on his skin, mostly on the backs of his upper arms, but also smaller spots on his legs and his back. I wasn't too worried at first, since DH also has similar patches of dry skin and he claims they don't bother him at all. I've just been trying to keep them really lotioned up. After swim class today, though, I noticed that it seemed a lot worse (maybe the chemicals in the pool?), definitely more widespread and a little more severe. They don't seem to bother him, he doesn't try to scratch them, doesn't cry when I rub lotion, etc., but I'm wondering if I should take him to the ped to get checked? After reading the thread about food allergies, I'm all paranoid that maybe it's a symptom of something worse!

He also has a spot on his cheek, but it's very different. Not really dry or scaly, it's just red. It gets deeper red when he nurses or sleeps. I was feeling it today, and it seems to have the same texture as the surrounding skin, but feels kind of hard underneath. Do you think it's related?

Help! I don't want to be the paranoid mom calling the ped's office constantly (and I know DH will just say he's fine), but I also don't want to miss something that should have been taken care of earlier. What do the wise BBB mamas think?

TaChapm
01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
All 3 of my kids have Eczema. Jackson had it really bad but the others really just have flair ups in the winter time. We use Cetaphil cleansers for baths and then the Cetaphil Lotion (the thick one in the tub) after the bath. For the really dry patches we also use Aquaphor Healing Ointment (like petrolium jelly). If there is a patch that just won't heal up a little over the counter cortizone cream usually always does the trick.

I would try some of these things right now and then just discuss it with your pediatrician at your child's next appointment. If it gets worse or starts to bother him then you might want to give them a call but this should do the trick.

Good Luck!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler 6-9-05
& Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b5.lilypie.com/IV-Mm6.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

tylersmama
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks Tara! Maybe I'll try to pick up some cetaphil when we're out running errands this afternoon. We're supposed to stop by the ped for a weight check next week (that's a whole OTHER post!) so I was debating if I should just call and set up an appointment, but I think I will wait and see.

sweetpea
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't panic but it would be smart to bring it up at your next appt.

My dd was always kind of "rashy" and it turned out she is allergic to peanuts. She also had bouts of eczema but I never even thought of allergies at the time - I just assumed that she inherited my sensitive skin. Thinking back, her rashes usually occured when we were visiting my inlaws and they always had bowls of nuts and treats around the house.

Also, just as an FYI in case you are trying to avoid all nut products right now, Cetaphil lotion/cream contains macadamia nut oil or sweet almond oil, depending on the type you buy.

ilovetivo
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Good info, i was gonna say that abt the cetaphil lotions. The cream cleanser is ok though. DD, although food allergic, also has sensitive skin. When we wash her (whole body, but not hair) w/ cetaphil cream cleanser she's fine. When we use regular hand soap (at the sink for ex) she gets eczema on her hands. Also Vanicream products are awesome. Non-chemical etc. www.vanicream.com. Call them and they'lll send free samples of products. They have everything body care-wise.

Eczema certainly can be just seasonal, dry skin, environmental. But i'd talk w/ your ped. Any other symptoms at all that seem different? Poop issues? Stomach? Eating? Seasonal type allergy symptoms, other rashes?

ETA: When did you start introducing food? Did the rashes occur before that? What foods are you doing?

ETA #2 - Some kids have a folicular bumpy thing that occurs on the backs of the upper arms, thighs, buttocks. DD does and it's not allergy related. DH has a little of it to. Weather can make it worse. For us, i think using vanicream lotion after baths and starting probiotics (dairy free - DDS Junior) she cleared up a lot. Still there though. And with age i think it's getting better

Fairy
01-24-2007, 05:48 PM
>...Cetaphil lotion/cream contains macadamia
>nut oil or sweet almond oil, depending on the type you buy.

Ohmigod, you're kidding?! Crap! Thanks for this info.

tylersmama
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks, I will look into the vanicream also!

I haven't noticed anything else different. He's been constipated, but I'm pretty sure that was just rice cereal overload; we cut back and he's been fine.

We started solids with rice cereal originally around 5 1/2 months, but he wasn't getting it, so I didn't push it. We really started (and he was getting it) about a month ago. We started with rice cereal and are making our way through the vegetables. So far, we've done butternut squash, carrots, peas, and sweet potatoes. I'm making my own baby food (at least so far). He's also had just a little apple juice (as recommended by the ped when he was REALLY constipated last week). I'm pretty sure he had the dry spots before we started the food, just not nearly as bad. And, we hadn't started swim class yet, either (pool chemicals drying him out, maybe?). He's still primarily breastfed, but I doubt if he's reacting to anything in my milk, mostly because I've had a horrible stomach virus and haven't had much of anything to eat (other than gingerale and some chicken broth) for the last 5 days, and it just seemed to get worse this morning.

Thank you for your advice! I think I will ask the nurse about it when we go in for the weight check next week, but hold off on an actual appointment unless it gets worse.

lablover
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I just bought some vanicream today for my DD. I called my pharmacy yesterday so they could order it and I picked it up today. It was only around $11 for a big tub w/ dispenser. I've been using aquaphor but it's so greasy so I'm excited to try this. I've been on an elimination diet for almost 2 months now and am eating very limited foods. Her other issues have cleared up but the eczema/rashes still flare and I can't figure out why so I'm hoping it's just due to the cold weather. I guess time will tell on that one.