PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Infections and pregnancy.

infocrazy
01-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I have been in the hospital since Monday due to a, I guess, pretty serious kidney infection. I really had very little symptoms until a fever and chills on Sunday. Called my doctor on Monday and they sent me to the emergency room where I have been ever since. DS2 is 24 weeks along and monitoring great.

I really want to go home. I know this is the best place for me but I'm really having a hard time with it. I have to be fever free for 24 hours and it just spiked again to 101.9.

Anyone have something similar? How long did it take for you fever to break? Did your baby have any problems due to the infection?

I miss my DH (who has been great with all of this) and my little boy. I just want to go home.

ETC typos

megs4413
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
i struggled with kidney infections in both pregnancies due to HG. with DD my only symptom was when i woke up in the worst pain of my life and had to go to the ER. turned out to be a kidney stone from the massive infection. i was hospitalized for about a week and was 12 wks along.

this time i knew i was dehydrated and could feel a UTI. I was hospitalized when they found the infection at the ER but was only in two days this time. I passed another stone while i was there. it took 3 mos of macrobid to get a clean UA. i was like 12 wks along this time, too, i think. my doctor wanted me to stay on the macrobid for the duration of the pregnancy, but it was making my sickness even worse, so as soon as i was clear to get off of it, i did.

i'm so sorry you're dealing with this. but as you said, the hospital is the best place for you right now. the IV antibiotics will really do a # on that infection...much more effective, IMO. i'm assuming you're also on round the clock fluids, right? if not, i would ask to be. you're at that rocky place where an infection like this could lead to PTL, so they have to treat you aggressively. i know how much it sucks to be stuck in the hospital...i wish it didn't have to happen to you!

i hope you wake up fever free tomorrow and are just a couple days away from being home and being healthy....hang in there!!!! big big big HUGS!

bensmom
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Can't help with kidney infections during pregnancy, but I was hospitalized with a kidney infection 4 days postpartum with DS2. It stinks!

I was admitted on Tuesday (after having fevers/chills Sunday and Monday) and kept spiking fevers during the week, but the spike kept getting lower (105 Tuesday, 103 Wed, etc...). I went home Saturday. I was on IV abx in the hospital and then another 10 days of oral abx at home.

Hope you feel better soon! Will they let your son visit you? The baby was with me most of the time and my older one (2 years old) came by one or two days when I was feeling ok.

Feel better soon!

denna
01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
No Kidney Infections during pregnancy for me either but I have had 3 *serious* kidney infections starting when I was 9mo. I was hospistalized for all three, and let me tell you the 2 that I do remember were no fun. Because of my medical history w/ them I was on a close watch w/ my OB during my pregnancy and they had me taking over the counter cranberry pills and drinking cranberry juice when I could. It really made a world of difference in preventing my kidney infections. It has now been 3 years since my last battle and holding strong :). Staying away from chocolate (any chocolate) really helps. My fever didnt break for 5 days and neither did the non-stop vommitting.

I really hope you feel better soon, and your fever goes away.

Sending ((healing)) vibes your way.