PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Hold Birthday party ~2 months after birthday?

Hippoharbor
01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
DS will turn 2 Feb 12th and I REALLY want his theme to be trains. They have a train store here in St Louis that hosts birthday parties. Unfortunately, I did not book in time and the next available (non-nap time) is APRIL 7. I have been so obsessing about having his party at this place, that I cannot even think of any other options for party planning closer to birthdate (plus, I already paid for it).
Do you think it is okay to have party almost 2 months late? DS won't notice, but I am worried about birthday photos showing him at 26 months instead of 24 months.

Opinions appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't wait 2 full months. Sorry.

Can you take him there just for a family outting *on* his birthday? Really, he is 2 and probably won't miss having a party there. Simply going should be fun! :)

Oh, just reread again and saw that you paid for it already. Well, that changes things some. But, I would probably just make that a party, party not a birthday party. I would have a simpler (cheaper) party at home in February. The thing in April would just be a glorified, extra, super duper fun playdate. :)

I wouldn't worry about the pictures showing him at 26 vs 24 months. Certainly you wil have pictures of him on his actual birthday too.

I know he wouldn't care that the party was 2 months later but I just cant reconcile in my brain it being his birthday party so much later.

If you can get a refund I would probably do that. I would then set out to have a really fun train party at home. Buy some great tranin set (like Geotrax or Thomas) and set that up. It would be lots of fun! There are a few train theme party threads on here with more ideas.

That's just my take. I'm sure it will work out whichever way you decide to go. :)

Beth

Hippoharbor
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
We do have a very nice train table/train set-up here at home. I just thought it would more special and more fun for him to have birthday party at the train center. I guess the ~five child guests would still have a lot of fun playing at our house; I am just afraid it would be too boring for DS (monotony of playing on own train table, same toys, etc).

Michelle

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
It'll be different because 5 of his friends will be there. :)

I tell ya, Geotrax make everything fun too. Ds got them for his 2nd b-day and thought they were the coolest!

I really wouldn't worry about the boredom factory. A party is always going to stand out from every day stuff.

Beth

caheinz
01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
I would save the train place for a later birthday. At this age, he's probably not really so much playing with his friends as next to them, and having them over at his own house will actually make everything different enough -- not to mention if you do some train decorations and a train cake, etc...

DS still remembers his second birthday party, but had a ball with family just at a restaurant. I don't think anything else was necessary to make it any more fun or memorable. We'll probably do a "friend" party this year, out somewhere, but it's only in the past year that his friendships seem to be "real", and not of adults' making, if that makes sense.

Marisa6826
01-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't bother dropping the major cash for a 2nd birthday. Honestly, it's still more for the parents, than it is for the kid at that point.

Either have some of his friends over to your house to play with his stuff, or just spend it as a family. I promise you, it's a bigger deal to you than it is to him.

-m

saschalicks
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't. Do the party at home w/a train theme and then book it for his 3rd birthday.

overcome
01-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I would still have the party that you booked in April.

I would have a regular birthday party at home and then have the party in April. It doesn't have to be birthday..just a special day with friends.

Do what you want to do as your DS won't REALLY know the difference. And if he loves the train place you can plan his next birthday party there right away. It will still be special to him if you only go once a year.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you do.