PDA

View Full Version : How is the quality of Coach handbags? Worth the money?

rorycam
01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
I haven't bought a handbag that cost over $100 since a now-vintage Dooney and Bourke back in like 1989, but I've decided that I would really like a Coach bag. I've never owned anything Coach and was wondering how the quality is. Can I expect it to hold up and continue to look nice for some time, or will the leather get scratched and/or beat-up looking early on? I'm wanting this one:

http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=8376&category_id=499

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Jen841
01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I have 3 and they are great (garage sale, b-day from parents, and gift from DH when we were dating)! The only 3 purses I could ever need... and they DH bought me a Kate Spade (new Mom + b-day +I gave birth on HIS birthday).

I rotate my 3 all the time. They are timeless and wonderful. I have had them all repaired for various reasons, and for $25 it is fixed and it looks like new again.

I have had two for 10+ years, and that includes the one I bought at a garage sale ($2) and they fixed to be like new $25.

I just remembered, I am really on my 4th backpack one, but that is b/c one was stolen years ago and we replace it (ins. did.)

They do get worn a bit like leather does, but that adds character I think.

Slurge! It could be the last purse you buy.

Jen

fortato
01-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I have a sort of addiction- 50+ bags in my closet... I think their quality was better about 10 years ago, when they were mostly leather. Now that they sell other materials, I think the quality has gone a little downhill. However, it's still a very well made bag.
My all leather bags look fantastic and I think they get better with age.

Coach has a fantastic repair policy, which makes it well worth the price. If you have any problems, they will fix it.

I've become a little disenchanted with Coach lately, because it's so easy to get a knock off- Why spend $200+ on a bag when you can get one for $35 at the Knock Off Flea Market?

Whatever you decide...I love that bag. I'd get it just because it's cute.

Kristen

sdoyle
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I am a recent Coach convert and am now wondering why I ever wasted money on anything else. They are very durable and stay looking nice. My only complaint is my other purses would usually break in a year or two and I would have an excuse to get a new one. With my Coach bag, I may never be able to justify a new one :)

FWIW....Got a diaper bag from them as well that I love. It will actually make a great non-diaper bag as well. The changing pad compartment perfectly holds a laptop (and I use it for that sometimes).

Stacy

almostamom
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I've had a number of Coach purses over the years and preferred them to the 2 Dooney and Bourke purses I've had. The Coach products seem more "timeless" to me. I've sold them on ebay when I tired of them. I have a Coach wallet that I've used every day for more than 12 years and it's still in perfect condition.

Bean606
01-24-2007, 09:37 PM
The quality of Coach bags is great. I have a briefcase, two purses, and a diaper bag from them (all gifts because DH's cousin is a manager at a Coach store). However, I must admit that I don't use them much because they are so heavy even empty. I much prefer my Vera Bradley cloth quilted bag for every day, because I can fill it with all the mommy things I need and it doesn't weigh a ton. The Coach diaper bag I have is beautiful, but it is heavy to lug around, and since it isn't washable, I don't know how long it will last (it isn't all leather, though). So, to answer your question, IMO, they get an A++ for quality and craftsmanship, but a B- for practicality and function, which is a huge issue for me these days.

teddy
01-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I, too, received a Coach diaper bag as a gift about 4-5 years ago with my first child. I rarely carried it because it was heavy even empty, as mentioned above, and it constantly slipped off my shoulder.

That being said, I received a new Coach diaper bag this Christmas as an early gift for baby #3. I can't wait to use it. It seems slimmer but slightly taller than my first one. The handles are more contoured so hopefully they'll stay on my shoulder.

They are both the C fabric with the leather trim.

kellyotn
01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
THAT is CUTE!

I've had "I don't know how many" Coach bags over the years. The very first one I bought (circa 1994) is now my makeup bag! :) I've only bought all-leather ones until last year when I bought a nylon with leather trim bag off craigslist. I've not been happy with it. It seems like something (glue?) is coming through at the seams. It bugs the heck out of me, even though its otherwise perfect (size, shape, zip, pockets).

But, back to leather. Its great. Its thick and nice, wears wonderfully. Sometimes the trim on the corners can wear, but they repair them for a small fee. (My now-makeup bag was repaired and it didn't match really well though, the new trim was lighter. But for a makeup bag, I don't much care.)

I've sold quite a few on eBay when my whims change, they hold their value well (and eBay is a bit insane). I've passed along a few to my sister and they still look great.

My black wallet has been in almost constant use for probably 7-8 years. Its still in fabulous shape. My husband's wallet is getting thin at the corners, but he refuses to let it go! (He has an identical new one waiting in the wings, too.)

I had a Coach briefcase, it held up really well. I currently have a Coach Hamptons all-leather diaper bag tote. I don't really carry a diaper bag anymore, so I use it for work files and kid-stuff. I plan on just using it to death. Its a great style, though it does slip off my shoulders too easily.

I don't think I've ever been disappointed with the quality of the leather of any of my bags.

I finally had to ditch the nylon Coach and replaced it with (gasp!) a non-Coach bag for the first time in 13 years! Its a B Makowsky. Its gorgeous leather too. I'm really pleased with it thus far, but I'm sure a new Coach is in my future sooner or later. I just love them. ;)

edited for typo

Sillygirl
01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
I have a number of Coach handbags, wallets, and a briefcase (my MIL likes to spoil me a little). Both the leather and the fabrics still look great after years. My son did like to chew on the Coach tags when he was teething. The last time I was in one of their retail stores, I just showed them the tag and they went digging through the storeroom to find me a matching replacement for free.

No, they're probably not worth the money when you think the same amount could buy a well for an African village or something. A plastic bag from the grocery store could hold my stuff and I'd be reusing something instead of throwing it out. But if you are going to spend money for a nice bag, a Coach one will stay nice-looking for a long time.

Marisa6826
01-25-2007, 12:23 AM
I have several of them, and have always been happy with my purchases. For the most part, I've waited until they went to the outlets and bought them there. You're still covered under their warranty (which is wonderful), and the cost is usually a fair amount less than their retail stores.

As far as how well they hold up, I've never had any problems with any of them. In fact, one of my smaller ones had some stitching coming undone on the handle strap. I brought it to a retail store, and for something like $20 to cover shipping, they sent it to the factory and had the entire thing reconditioned for free. They even mailed it back directly to my house.

Call around to some of the outlets, because on occasion, they have current stuff there as well.

One thing you should know, though, is that their bags tend to be very heavy - even when empty. So if you tend to be a packrat, just know that you'll be lugging around quite a bit of weight.

-m

MelissaTC
01-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I have been eyeing this bag myself- just in a different color. ;)

I own a variety of Coach bags and wristlets. I love them all. I have paid full retail for 2 and that is because I loved them so much I was willing to do that. The others have been gifts or purchased on a deep clearance (when department stores used to do that ;) ), found as a treasure at TJ Maxx/Marshalls or bought at a Coach outlet. I haven't had any problems with any of them. I also have 2 D&B bags and those have been fine as well.

KBecks
01-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I like coach quality, but something to think about -- how long will you use the bag before you are tired of the style? I had one for 3 years, the bag lasted great, but I moved on because I decided a different style would look better.

I now buy bags under $150 and dont feel I'm married to them forever.

Fairy
01-25-2007, 02:12 PM
They refused to fix my bag that I bought in '2000. It has no zipper, but an over the top thing with an aligator clasp. The clasp is broken. It's a very very simple fix, but they sent it back and said it was beyond repair and gave me 60% off my next purchase. I don't want a new bag, I want this one. So, i deal with the broken clasp. So, I was terribly disappointed in their up-till-that-point excellent repair policy. I dunno if it was the bag style they just didn't wanna deal with or if I peed in their wheaties or what, but I was bummed.

Fairy
01-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Despite my above comment about their repair policy, I'm a huge fan of Coach. I don't care for leather bags, so the one you indicated doesn't do much for me, but I feel very confident that it will stand up quite well. If you use a leather care cleaning regimen regularly, it'll really take you far. You can use theirs or you can use something else, but if you buy leather, definitely take good care of it. I used to have one of their leather ones and wore it for a good 10 years. Held up great; still have it hanging in the closet-where-old-stuff-goes. I'm more of a fan of their signature series with the C's. Bottom line, if you love a specific Coach bag and you can afford it, then it is worth the money.

Now, again, their repair policy is great overall. Historically, this has always been true (my mother has a bag of theirs from FOREVER ago -- seriously -- and they actually repaired some of the stitching a few years ago. So, despite my experience where they wouldn't repair a freakin' clasp from only six years before, I still recommend them.

-- Fairy

Nooknookmom
01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I've been using Coach for about 19 years and like some other posters said, their quality was better years ago.

I noticed a HUGE difference in quality after they moved manufacturing to China. Before that time I never had a quality issue of any kind, the purse would outlast my desire for it, lol. The last bag I bought was a messenger and the zipper pull busted after 2 weeks of use. Returned it.

But Coach are still much more durable than many other brands. I won't spend full price on a Coach nowdays though, esp. since they jacked some bags up to almost $600+. If I want one I go to the outlets. For full price I could almost buy Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, etc.