PDA

View Full Version : where do you buy your furniture?

spu
01-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Has anyone bought furniture from Target? or would you save your money and put it toward something else? I'm thinking of buying a bedroom set for DS (yes - he's only 3m, but he needs a bureau, and I want to get him a full-size bed, bureau, and night table, so we thought of getting him 'the whole shebang' (from Jordans' furniture) or something similar where you get "all this" for one low price... but the people at the store said it will only last a few years. I saw the furniture online at target - love the styles (and the prices!!) but I'm guessing at that price, it, too, may not last that long. Is it really worth spending the extra $ to get something solid wood that will last?

susan

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
nursed for 3 years!
http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/superpower.gif

charlotte + else

http://bd.lilypie.com/u2jym5.png
http://b4.lilypie.com/Bmr5m5.png

BeachBum
01-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I think you just really need to think about what exactly you want out of the furniture. Are you expecting it to last until he is in middle school, high school, beyond? Or do you just want something until last until he starts school or a little longer?

I have not owned dressers and such from Target, but I can't see them lasting for more than 5 years. Maybe I'm wrong :) But from evaluating the display pieces....
That said, many other brands of furniture also are assembled and not solid wood. You will really pay big bucks for solid wood--and then you will need to make sure it is a style that can grow with your child or be moved to other ares of your house.

I think the thing these days is that you really have to shop around. I know baby bargains does review kids furniture so I think that would be a good place to start.

That said, we bought ours from Bratt Decor. I wanted something that was classic yet baby/young child looking. I have been happy with the quality thus far... particularly the dresser since it gets used daily.

Edited to add...your post says your DS is 3 months, but I'm guessing that was a typo? For age 3 yrs you have more options like Pier One kids and Bombay Kids. They may be better than Target but still on the less expensive end.

dules
01-25-2007, 09:21 AM
We got DD's armoire and dresser from a local baby-teen furniture store. They are by Sorelle and they are "nice" quality, sort of middle of the line. We didn't pay top dollar and we expect them to last until she's 10 or so, at which time she may want to choose something for herself.

For her big girl bed, we ordered a Stanley Young America that will/should last through high school. I'm hoping she will want it for a guest room or for her own little girl one day but now I'm getting ahead of myself. ;)

Mary

ErinMC
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree with the PP's - decide just how long you WANT them to last first. If you only want this to last a few years, go for the Target-type furniture.

If you're willing to spend a lot, it could last forever. DH's parents bought him Ethan Allen bedroom furniture when he was a toddler 30 years ago (pricey, I know) but it lasted through DH, his brother, and we now use it for DS1 (trundle bed, dresser, desk, 2 bookcases) and it still looks perfect. No one can believe it's 30 years old - and DH and his brother were TOUGH on it, from what I hear.

Good luck!
Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

spu
01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
actually - DS is 3m old... I desperately need to update my avatar pic - it's of the girls when they were about 6m old ! OMG - it's 4 years old already. I'll search for new pix now.

:)

susan

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
nursed for 3 years!
http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/superpower.gif

charlotte + else

http://bd.lilypie.com/u2jym5.png
http://b4.lilypie.com/Bmr5m5.png

Lilysmom06
01-25-2007, 10:31 AM
When my husband and I bought our first house (about 6 years ago) we bought a coffee table, end table, etc. from Target. We have used them daily, and moved them twice to new houses, and they are still going strong (unfortunately I am sick of them and want new ones!) We also have a Target dresser in a spare room, and that is fine as well.

These pieces are not fine furniture, but they are functional, they look OK, they have held up well, and for the price, I think we got our moneys worth.

However, I do not expect them to last as long as the furniture my parents have in their spare room, which was my dad's as a child, then my sister and I used it, and now it waits for DD to use there. I believe it was from Ethan Allen as well.

HTH!

Kathy

BargainMomforLuke
01-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Find what you want in a local furniture store and then go through a discount furniture dealer in North Carolina. You could save a lot of money and have something that will last a lot longer. I think if you go with the Target stuff, you will be very disappointed. Also, IMO, it's kind of nice when things aren't so matchy-matchy. If you get a bureau now for DS, you can get other furniture later that looks good with the bureau, but it doesn't all have to match 100%. I think bedrooms are a lot more interesting when the pieces aren't the same exact style and from the same manufacturer. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I don't know where you live, but you could also try craigslist.com for a bureau for DS. That way you can make it your own piece by painting, re-staining, etc. and you don't have to feel that bad because you're not going to spend a fortune.

HTH!

Natalie

ctmom
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
how do you go about finding a discount furniture dealer in North Carolina? I recently found some Broyhill furniture I want but would love to get is at a discount!

Thanks!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

BargainMomforLuke
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
I've used Furnitureland South in the past: http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/

I know my sister-in-law recently used a discount dealer in Birmingham, AL & saved an absolute boat-load of money for her mom (she spent $20K and saved $30K on furniture for a brand new house), but I think she had a designer-friend go with her and that's how she got the discount.

I would just call around getting different price quotes from the different dealers. If you need some more opinions about reputable companies, I would check out this board, search through, and post any questions you might have:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/furniture/

Bottom line, don't ever pay retail for furniture (or carpet) because you can cut out the middle man.

roysmom
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
We got DS's bedroom suit from Wal-Mart online. It is a pine and oak mix. Absolutely no press-board or plywood. DH says that is all cheap, crappy wood. We expect it to last until at least junior high. The baby bed converts to a twin, full size, day bed and a chair. Grows right along with your little one. We also got a dresser that you can add a bookshelf/hutch onto later and a chest of drawers to match. If you would like more info, just email me and I will send you the link. I think we paid about $700 for the entire set!!! Only need to add a night stand later.

saschalicks
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Here's what we've been thinking and doing. We just bought a new couch set yesterday at Costco. We bought the coffee table, DVD holder and TV stand at Target. We know that when we buy a new house we probably will buy more substantial furniture, so spending the cheaper cost was more advantageous to our measly funds.

Now for DS's we are getting bunk beds. We decided to buy the middle of the road on that. We anticipate they will use it from 5 to 8 years. Then when they are older and can pick out their own we will buy what we can afford then. We are using the dressers we got for the nursery for them which were from Target I believe. I just don't want to spend "a lot" b/c they are boys and I know the furniture will be climbed on.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2007, 01:39 PM
We are in that mid point where we want nicer stuff than cheap IKEA, Target or basically anything we have to assemble ourselves but we still have to watch our spending some. We have been slowly buying most of our furniture at stores like Macy's.

For ds' room I am not too worried. I will probably be buying him an IKEA dresser soon and he already has a bed. Not very worried if things don't match. I know that I was rough on furniture as a kid (coloring on it, putting stickers on it...) so I don't really want to spend $ on his stuff now. I don't want it to fall apart anytime soon either.

So, following my formula if you see something at Target that you like just go for it. :) There's no rule that says it can't stand the test of time either.

Beth

kimbe
01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
We've used Rose Furniture. www.rosefurniture.com

dules
01-25-2007, 03:58 PM
We used Furnitureland South, over phone and internet. They were very good to deal with.

Mary

hobokenmom
01-25-2007, 05:24 PM
As others have said, you just to figure out how long you want the furniture to last.

7 years ago we bought two dressers and a nightstand from IKEA for probably about $100, and they honestly held up pretty well in my son's room.

We just replaced them with two door chests from Ethan Allen (Tango collection) and got bunkbeds to match. I expect the new furniture to be around for many years, way past the time my son goes to college.

Personally, I'd stay away from someplace like Pottey Barn Kids. I think it's a complete rip-off to spend $600 on a desk that YOU have to assemble. And you have to pay a delivery fee besides.

Good luck!!

kdeunc
01-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I have used Rose Furniture and recommended them to a ton of people. Be aware that they have just avoided going out of business and are having some related problems. That being said I would still order from them.

KBecks
01-25-2007, 07:03 PM
I got Alek's bed on Craigslist for $20 (just frame, not mattress). There are some good finds there if you are patient and are able to move the furniture yourself.

We are not planning to have a dresser since there is good closet space.

I would look for something that is real wood for the kids furniture.

scoop22
01-25-2007, 07:06 PM
we got ds a changing table/dresser from target (very expensive delivery) so far so good. we don't really expect to use it for long. but it will last for all the children. i hope. i think it depends on how long you want to keep it.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

lizamann
01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
I've bought mdf Target furniture and been very happy with it. DD's 2 dressers, nightstand, and mirror are going on 4 years, and they are in perfect condition, even with one move thrown in. I expect it to last quite a long time, maybe until she moves out LOL. It's not heirloom, obviously, but it's served our purpose and looks like it will for years to come.

Now for our own bedroom furniture, we've bought expensive Stickley stuff, which I also wonder about. It will last forever, but do we really need it to LOL? Will our grandchildren really want it when we're done with it?

We also buy a lot of antiques, where you can get good quality solid wood pieces for a lot less than you could buy new.
I highly recommend it if you have the time to shop and live in a part of the country where they are more common (I hear they're hard to come by in Seattle, for instance.)