PDA

View Full Version : craigslist WWYD

megs4413
01-25-2007, 11:11 AM
i listed abunch of maternity clothes on CL and got a response from a woman asking if she could come try the items on that she's interested in....i never even thought about that...should i say yes? wwyd?

justlearning
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
If you're selling a large bunch for a cheap lot price, then I'd just say that it's a lot and she can just estimate if it looks like they're going to fit her or not. If you're selling them as individual pieces and not super cheap, then I'd probably agree to meet her at a public place with a bathroom for her to try them on there. If they're extra-special clothes, then I'd probably have her first pay me for them and then say I'll give her her money right back if it doesn't fit. That way if she gets them stained with makeup or deoderant, you could then refuse to refund her money.

tarabenet
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
To me, "trying on" implies hanging out in my home, and I would not be cool with that. I'm sure most CLers are nice, normal, good-neighbor type people. But what if she's the one creepy one scoping out people's homes or bringing a partner with her, even? Maybe it's paranoia, maybe it's wisdom. But go with safety first, please.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
01-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I agree with PP. If she needs to try them on, she will need to be alone in your house somewhere. To me, that's just creepy. She could be a really nice lady, but the cynical side of me would be afraid she was casing my house or trying to steal stuff. I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

anamika
01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I had something similar happen with my Baby Bjorn. The wife wanted to try it on with the baby but couldn't come herself. So her DH picked it up and gave me a check. She kept the Bjorn, so I cashed the check.
I normally never advocate taking checks but for some reason this woman and I really hit it off (helped that she was from India too :)) I had her phone numbers and address also.....
Plus, the amount was small enough that I could afford to chalk it up to lesson learned in case the check bounced.
I would be really uncomfortable with a stranger in my house trying on clothes!!

megs4413
01-25-2007, 12:03 PM
that's kinda what i was thinking, but honestly it's more trouble than it's worth then. some of the pieces are a bit pricier, but i would rather just sell it all without the extra hassle. i only listed them yesterday so hopefully i'll get some more interest and won't have to worry about this particular lady.

BeachBum
01-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I would let her come by for pick up and to inspect the clothes, but not to try on.

Momof3Labs
01-25-2007, 12:19 PM
If you are selling them as a cheap lot, then I wouldn't let her do this. Just advise that she can come and eyeball the items, purchase the lot (or what she wants), try it on at home, and sell whatever doesn't work on Craigslist. You could even offer to share your photos with her so that she doesn't have to retake them for whatever she relists.

Dcclerk
01-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Nope; I wouldn't let her come over. You have a bunch of really cheap things. She can take the risk that they won't fit perfectly for the price. I'd worry about the haggle factor for someone like that, too.

s7714
01-25-2007, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't. Maybe you could offer to provide some measurements of the items (sleeve length, inseams, etc.) instead?

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

HannaAddict
01-25-2007, 06:48 PM
No way, not for used clothes off of CL. You are not a dept. store. and that seems very invasive.

FWIW, It seems like there are a couple of different styles of people that respond to CL ads, those that get it and those that don't. I hope someone else responds. I don't think this is worth the hassle.

Kimberly