PDA

View Full Version : Need Fundraising Ideas

Puddy73
01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I was just named to the advisory board of our region's Make-a-Wish Foundation. I'm really excited about the opportunity, but the position comes with a hefty fund-raising commitment, so I'd love some fresh ideas from you creative folks! We are currently planning a golf tournament and a ball/silent auction, but I'd like to come up with a project that kids can participate in. I'm in coastal Georgia, so our weather is pretty nice year-round. Thanks!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

kdeunc
01-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Congratulations on your position. Walks are always good (and can involve kids) unless you have a lot in your area. You can have a "tot trot" that is shorter or a baby crawling contest, etc. You also might want to consider a Penny Drive in the schools if they will allow. The class/school who raises the most money "wins" something, pizza party, ice cream party, etc. Also, depending on the staffing you might have luck with a holiday card campaign where the kids participate in a contest to design the cards. You can then sell them as boxed card sets. Both UNC Hospitals and Duke University Medical Center have card programs that make them a lot of money. Hope this helps!

Fairy
01-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Congrats! I do alot of fundraising, and I have tons and tons of ideas. Some are large-scale, some are small potatoes, both of which can work depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Here are just a few high-level ideas for you to consider. Feel free to PM me if you want to know how these worked for us:

* Large Dessert Gala w/Silent Auction: Think Taste of Chicago on the much smaller black-tie scale. You get local high-end restaurants to come and provide desserts at their stations, they get free publicity, and in between each station, you have several big ticket items for auction (call your local sports teams for jerseys, etc.)

* Auction a Date with Local Famous Bachelors: If you live in, say, LA or NY or Dallas, you're good to go. If you live in Elpina, Michigan, you have a challenge.

* It's Make-A-Wish. Big huge name. Can you get a named celebrity to host a gala? I have alot of varieties on this theme, PM me if you'd like to discuss.

* 50/50 Raffle. This would be done at an existing event of some kind. Winner gets half the pot, Wish gets the other half.

Good luck!
-- Fairy

JoyNChrist
01-26-2007, 05:54 AM
I don't have any ideas right offhand, but I just wanted to say that's so cool! I was a Chi Omega in college and our national philanthropy is Make-a-Wish. We had a silent and live auction every year to grant a wish - so much fun and such a good cause! Congratulations!

Puddy73
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Those are some good ideas to get me started! Now I have to go watch the video ten more times until I can get through it without crying when I go to schmooze our corporate sponsors.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

vonfirmath
01-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Can you go talk to companies, talk to them about running fundraisers at their places?

i know my company is looking for us to donate more money every time I turn around :)