PDA

View Full Version : question for sewing moms...

ctmom
01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I found some great fabric to make accent pieces for my dd#1 room. The only problem is I don't know how to sew!!! I want to have some cushions made and reupholster her blanket box. My dh said he can take care of the blanket box but I should find someone who can make the cushions. I called a few places and they want at least $100 to make a 23x42 one. One place told me he would do it for $45 if I got the foam, but he isn't responsible if it isn't good foam. So, I called a local fabric shop and they have ready to cut foam for .96 for the "ultra" quality and .63 for "standard". The foam is 2 inches thick. If I just went to Michaels/Joanns/Walmart is the quality of their foam that much worse and is the price better? This is for a window seat, not something my dd's will be throwing around. I would love some advice!!!

Thanks

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Lynnie
01-26-2007, 08:18 AM
I have no idea, but you could always ask the guy what type of foam he would recommend. And maybe he'd know where to get it ??

(and by responding to this, I will have bumped it up, and maybe a sewing mama will see it and chime in)

good luck, and how fun.

ctmom
01-26-2007, 08:31 AM
He, of course, recommend I buy the foam from him. His original price was $100. When I balked at the price, he told me I could purchase foam elsewhere and bring him the foam and fabric and for $45 he would do it.

Thanks for bumping this!!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Lynnie
01-26-2007, 09:11 AM
aha.

(bump again)

I think ivillage might have sewing forums, and maybe that old house site. people there may know.

etaylor75
01-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Have you checked Craigslist? I found a SAHM on Craigslist that does upholstery and curtains - she did a fabulous job on some cushions for us.

Erin

mmaimp
01-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Did you look for alterations or seamstresses in the phone book? Do any of your frineds have a mother or grandmother that sews? They maybe able to make a cushion for a better cost.

I made a simple cushion similar to a window-box one when I first started sewing and it was not too difficult. If you want pipping around the edges that could add to the cost. I also would do a thicker foam, maybe 4 inches and the best quality you can get. Especially if your planning to sit on it often.

HTH,

BaileyBea
01-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Mary call a local upholstry supply place. They will have foam that is a nice quality. If you can't find one then just go w/the Ultra Quality foam from Joanns.

$100 may seem like a lot to pay but chances are they will do a fantastic job and it will take them several hours of cutting and sewing to put it together.

I personally would go for the Ultra quality one from yoru local store and for $45 you can't beat the price. By the time the seat wears out your Daughter may want a new look to her bedroom anyway.

I am currently looking into foam etc because I am making an Anywhere chair for DS. But I am lucky and we have an upholstry reseller locally.

IHTH.

Nancy

miki
01-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I have made things like this on my sewing machine. I think the $100 would be fair if it includes the foam and the cushion cover design includes a piping accent and a zipper to remove the cover for cleaning. To give you an idea of the cost of high density foam from a furniture supply shop, I made a little chair the size of a PBK anywhere chair and the foam for the seat and back cost me about $45.