PDA

View Full Version : Request for some BBB mojo

kristenk
01-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Okay, I'm desperate. DD has been sick all week. We went to the ped on Monday and she said that it's something that's going around and lasting 10-14 days. We leave for WDW on Sunday. As in, 2 days from now. Depending on whether the 10-14 day clock started when she got a fever last Thursday night or when the cough developed on Sunday, our 10-14 day period is scheduled to end sometime between the day we leave and two days after we get back.

Every night I go to sleep and hope and pray that she'll *start* getting better when she wakes up the next morning. So far, nothing.

This is NOT a major illness. It's just some horrible snot-producing bug that is giving her a horrible cough and making her fairly miserable at times. When we saw the ped on Monday, she said that DD was most likely not contagious and we could do any activities that she was up for. I thought the school the next day would probably be out, but that she'd probably feel up to it by Thursday. Yesterday was Thursday and I kept her home again. It just seems like she should *start* feeling better by now.

My sprained ankle is getting better. DH has a sore throat. :(

I think I just need some good thoughts. (And thanks for listening to me whine a little.)

Puddy73
01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Sending good vibes to you and your family! I hope that you are all feeling better so that you can really enjoy WDW. Would your ped be willing to call in a "just in case" prescription for an antibiotic that you could fill in case DD's bug worsens into an ear infection or sinus infection?

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Mommy Of A Little Angel
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Sending you good health thoughts! I hope everyone feels better and you can all enjoy your vacation to WDW! I agree with the PP. A just in case prescription may be a great way to avoid a headache in FL.

Hope you have a wonderfully healthy vacation!

megs4413
01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
get well soon mojo coming your way!!!!

i hope she's good to go on sunday!!!!!!!

Piglet
01-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Sending the mojo your way! We had the neverending cold here this past month and I totalyl feel for you. The kids and I both had it, but somehow they got rid of it faster than I did. I hope she gets it out of her system erally soon. I agree with the the PP that said it might be prudent to get an Rx for antibiotics, since DS2 ended up with an ear infection ofter the cold ran its course. Also pack some Motrin for the flight - the air pressure might bug your DD's ears if she is congested.

buddyleebaby
01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Sending lots og healthy vibes so you can have a wonderful vacation!

elizabethkott
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
((((((((Hugs)))))))

Enjoy WDW as much as you can! Who knows - maybe the warm(ish) weather will help clear some of the yuck up.

:)

kristenk
01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Thank you to everyone who replied.

On Monday, the ped gave us a prescription for amoxicillan. I think I'll get it filled before we go, just in case.

I have a couple of questions about using the amox., though.

First, isn't it supposed to be refrigerated? How do I do that on our travel days? Assuming everything is timed perfectly and we don't have any delays, the amox. would be unrefrigerated for 6 hours. On a related note, will it be a problem getting it through airport security? I'm assuming it won't b/c it's a prescription and will have DD's name on it, but I'm not up on the current security rules.

My other big question is how do I know when we need to move on to the antibiotic? She's had 2 ear infections. The first (double) ear infection would NOT go away and took several rounds of antibiotic. DD gave no indication that her ear bothered her. With the second ear infection, she had been fine and we were at the park when she started freaking out on the swing. Then she put her head down on my shoulder and wouldn't move it. So definitely a different reaction. (And with the second ear infection, the ped said that we caught it early - she could see some redness or whatever, but not a whole lot). So when do I know it's time for the amoxicillan?

BTW, I *am* going to give the ped's office a call this afternoon, to see what she says.

megs4413
01-26-2007, 01:32 PM
we left out the amox for a few hours once on accident and called the pharmacy about it. they said up to 8 hours was OK.

i don't know about "when" to go to the amox. i guess ask the doc about that one!

daniele_ut
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry you've got such a sick little one on your hands! I can relate, because it sounds like DS has the exact same thing. I've had to take 3 half days (alternating with DH) and a full day off from work today because he's been so sick. The cough just sounds awful!

I really hope she starts feeling better soon so you guys can enjoy WDW! I can;t answer the when on the Amoxicillan, but I would probably wait to fill it until you get there so you don't have to worry about dealing with it while you travel. I don't know where you are staying but most of the time the concierge can tell you where the nearest 24 hour pharmacy is located. I'm pretty sure Amoxicillan is one of the drugs that Wal-Mart sells for a flat $4 if you have trouble locating a pharmacy covered by your prescription plan.

mommyoftwo
01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
As long as you have a car at WDW it shouldn't be a problem at all to get it filled at a local pharmacy. If you do decide to get it filled before you go but don't need it yet, ask the pharmacist if they will leave it in the powdered form. Amoxicillin is generallly (maybe always?) a powder that the pharmacy adds water to and shakes to mix. You can do the same thing as long as they give you instructions on how much water to add. I don't know if the pharmacy would actually let you do that but it's worth a shot. It only has to be refridgerated after the water is added..

maestramommy
01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Ugghh, we've been going through illness around here, and even though Dora got the mild version it is no fun. Sendning you vibes that she is well enough for you all to enjoy your trip.

kwc
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Good luck on your trip! I would also just bring the prescription and fill only if needed. Every pharmacy carries Amox, and it is pretty cheap even if you have to pay out-of-pocket. If you do have to travel with it, it will stay pretty cool in an insulated bottle holder with an ice pack.

When I've given patients "just in case" prescriptions, I've told them to fill it if the child has obvious ear pain or if they develop a fever late into the course of the cold, after having been afebrile for a few days.

Many/ most ear infections are viral but you can't necessarily tell just by looking so (in this country) we usually treat (not so in most of Europe). Generally, if they do not have significant pain or fever, they usually do not need antibiotics (obviously there are exceptions).

(edited for grammar)

kristenk
01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I called the ped's office and spoke with the nurse. She asked about fever and I told her that DD had a fever last Thu/Friday and then again on Tuesday. After she heard that, she recommended that I go ahead and start DD on the amoxicillin.

Thanks for all your help and well wishes!

DD is much more active today, and that's nice to see!

megs4413
01-26-2007, 11:29 PM
i hope she's all better soon! i'm glad they gave you a definitive answer and i hope that is all she needs to get well! have a great trip!

denna
01-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Sending lots of ((good health)) your way. I hope your DD and DH feel better soon so you all can have a great vacation. (Glad to hear your ankle is better too). Mojo on the way :D

denna
01-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Thats great to hear. Have a great vacation and I hope all your health continues to be well for the entire family! Have a fun/safe trip :)!