PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Vitamins for Kids

ChefGirl
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
After reading the thread on probiotics, I just have a quick questions on vitamin supplement for kids.

DS is 3 1/2 right now. He's a picky eater. I started him on the "One a day" brand Scooby gummy multi-viatimins. He thinks it's gummy candy. I've tried others, and he doesn't seem to like the others. Anyway, he takes only one per day in the morning after breakfast.

Is that okay to take? There are so many of the multi-vitamins out there. My hubby and I are also taking the "one a day" brand multi. Although I'm starting to take the pre-natal again (just in case we decide to have another little one).

Thanks in advance.

Tondi G
01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I think any vitamin is better than no vitamin if that is all he will take! The only thing about that vitamin is there is no Calcium so you might want to find a calcium chew he likes!

if you want something more you could try a powder vitamin suppliment and mix it in a smoothie or juice

http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=d7d16af1-4c16-4f8c-8fbd-6bcac665d80e

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
We just have a vitamin from Whole Foods that ds occaisionally gets. I follow the Dr. Sears' mindset that is about not worrying about day to day eating but overall eating. When I really sat down and looked at ds diary (kept notes) I realized that he was getting everything he needed vitamin wise most all the time.

I would look at the "extras" in the vitamins of that brand. Whole Foods is promoting their vitamins this month and they have ads up all over the store talking about things like partially hydrogenated oil and other yucky stuff some other people may put in their vitamins. Don't know if it is true or not- the ads just caught my eye. :)

You may also want to look up what the DRA is for the dif't vitamins and minerals and make sure you aren't overdoing any of them from their diet plus the multi vitamin. Dif't brands have dif't %.

I would imagine what you are using is fine. Just some things to look into.

Beth

icunurse
01-26-2007, 07:22 PM
The only other thing I can offer for you to consider is iron content in the vitamin. Most children's vitamins conatin some amount of iron and some contain quite a bit. We were specifically looking for a vitamin without iron in it - can add to bowel issues and usually the most worrisome item in a vitamin if a chid eats too many. I have found two - My First Flintstones and Costco children's vitamin.