PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Montessori for the Kindergarten year?

jadamom
01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
DD is in a Montessori program for preschool, and we love it. She'll be entering Kindergarten in the fall, and we were wondering if it would be better to keep her in Montessori for Kindergarten, where she's learning a lot and being happy and comfortable, or to switch her to Kindergarten in a good public school where she can start with her class, get oriented, and meet her classmates a year earlier in Kindergarten, rather than in 1st grade. What would you do?

JBaxter
01-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Nathan is currently attending a Montessori program but I will switch him to our local public school for kindergarten. Our school district is the top in the county and he will know several children from our playgroup and neighborhood. Both the public and the Montessori programs are full day and he will have to make the switch at some point. The public school is actually 10-15 min closer for us.

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
I was debating this and my preschool director suggested that I ask the public school that we would enter whether there were other kids that start there in 1st grade. There are a lot of preschools in my area that also do kindergarten so it is pretty common for kids to not start till 1st grade. Odds are she won't be the only one starting "late."

I was planning to do this but I wrote off my public school for their lack of *any* recess in the school. I was going to just sign him up for lots of activities in the summer within the community (swimming, some sport, just hit the playground...) so that he could meet some of his peers.

I did kindergarten in a different school from 1st grade. But, I knew the kids at my next school from the swimming pool and other activities. I think that helped. My mom signed me up for Girl Scouts in 1st grade so I got to reinforce those friendships.

It's a tough call and I do see the benefit of starting right at the beginning. But, I think there are benefits to getting a good base for school and it sounds like where she is would work well. Personally, I would keep her where she is for kindergarten and just do what you can to meet kids she will be at public school with in the meantime.

Beth

pinkmomagain
01-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I had this dilemma with my first dd who is now 10 yo. At the time, I felt she was on a roll and I wanted to keep the momentum going so I kept her in Montessori for Kindergarten and switched her to the public school for first grade. I just thought Kindergarten in the public school was a huge step backward for her....the ciriculum (sp) at the time would just not be enriching enough for her (and we are in a top notch district). I did sign her up for girl scouts so that she could start to meet some girls in the public school so that could be an option for you (or soccer, etc. in your district) but honestly I don't think it made much of a difference. She made friends in first grade, no problem. Honestly in the younger years of elementary school I find that my girls tend to make friends with whoever is in their class that particular year.

Good luck,

Gina

KAK22
01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
We have students come to 1st grade from Montessori directly to 1st grade at the school where I teach. These students do very, very well. Can you go observe the K class at the Montessori and at your local school? Then you can get a feel for what both are like and how you make your decision!

We're not sure what we'll do with DD for preschool and Kdg yet, but Montessori is definitely up there on the list!

ShanaMama
01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
"I was planning to do this but I wrote off my public school for their lack of *any* recess in the school."

Wow, that seems pretty excessive, if I'm understanding correctly. I wouldn't want to send my child there at any age.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
We aren't planning to send him at all. :) Maybe when he changes schools in 4th grade I will look to see if the new school has recess. But for now we have a private pre-k through 8th grade school picked out that takes the kids out 2 times a day to play in the lower grades. :)

Beth

jadamom
01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies. We like her Montessori school so much, we will probably keep her there for one more year, and then sign her up for classes with the local park district, etc. to get to know the other kids in our community, like you've suggested.

charp2000
01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I wrote this up last night & for some reason it looks like it didn't post -

We just made the decision to keep DS at his Montessori for Kindergarten. There were several reasons why this seems to be the best choice for us:

1) he really seems to be thriving at his Montessori preschool this year (this is his 2nd year of it) - he is so excited about learning his letters and numbers right now
2) we feel he will be challenged alot more in the Montessori program
3) It's one less change to make - he'll get to go to the same childcare/school for another year until he's a little more mature to handle the change to 1st grade
4)the huge convenience of having both kids at the same childcare center - plus DS loves having his little sister at the same place he is (Just last week he said "When Rachel gets bigger, I want her to be in my class" - they won't, since she'll be in the Toddler room next year, but it's the thought...)
5) the extra programs he will get - at his school they have field trips and special events just for the kindergartners (the 4 & up students already go on ~1 field trip a month as it is - these are really fun for the kids) - he wouldn't get these at the public or private kindergarten
6) we are very happy with the staff at this school - they are very friendly and adoring of our children

On the negative side, not sending him to the kindergarten at the private school we are interested in sending him to eventually may not give us priority there for getting him into 1st grade there, but that's a chance we'll take (I'm sure we can eventually get him in there). The private school only has a half day kindergarten program and no childcare - so he would need to go to a different childcare center in order to get transported from the school & have childcare. Not what I feel would be good for him next year (new school, new non-Montessori childcare center) plus inconvenience of kids at 2 different childcares.

Jill

Mommy to Benjamin 3/02 & Rachel 5/06
Jill

Mommy to Benjamin 3/02 & Rachel 5/06

emmiem
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I kept my daughter at her Montessori school for Kindergarten and am so glad I did! The program is set up for 3,4,and 5 yo's. They now are the oldest at the school and get to help with the youngest. The teachers already know your child and can continue to teach her without a break in period. My DD started reading in October and there is no way the teacher in public K would have done a reading group that early in the school year. There are sorts of readings online as to the advantage of K in the Montessori classroom. Check them out by googling it.

Contrary to what public school will tell you, kids don't make their lifelong friends in K. New kids always transfer in at any grade. Public school K is all about learning the rules and following in a group. The montessori kids already know that are ready to learn when they get to 1st grade.
Michele

kedss
01-29-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd keep her in the Montessori Kindergarten if she and you still like it.