PDA

View Full Version : Anybody switch from Comcast cable to Verizon FiOS?

Marisa6826
01-27-2007, 05:46 PM
The cost differential doesn't seem super huge, but just on principle (because I HATE Comcast), I'm interested.

Has anybody made the switch? Love it? Hate it?

TIA

-m

kristenk
01-27-2007, 06:40 PM
We did! The only downside for us is that we had TiVo w/Comcast and switched to a no-name dvr with FiOS. We didn't have to switch, but part of the appeal for switching to FiOS was high-def stuff, which we didn't have before. Anyway, our TiVO box couldn't do high-def, thus the switch.

Really, the piece of junk DVR is our only problem and we wouldn't be complaining about that if we hadn't had TiVO before and realized how sucky the user interface is on the new dvr.

No problems for us with FiOS. We really like it!

hobokenmom
01-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry Marisa, but we have directv HD w/ tivo. I highly recommend the satellite route if you're willing.

Good luck!!

elephantmeg
01-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Please tell, we're looking into it...

calv
01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
tell me more why do you hate comcast? we have FiOS but I think comcast is taking over for cable.

Marisa6826
01-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Amy, we had DISH in Hoboken and *loved* it. I was totally devastated when they told us that we had too many trees to install it here at the house. :(

The trees were one of the biggest selling points for this house!

Figures, huh?

-m

Marisa6826
01-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that the DVR that's offered with Verizon is the same one that we have through Comcast.

We talked about going with TiVo, but figured we'd try the cheapo Comcast one first. If it sucked, we'd go for the TiVo. I guess you don't miss what you don't know!

-m

Marisa6826
01-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I think it depends on which Comcast you deal with. I'm in Northern NJ, and never *once* have I gotten a decent Customer Service rep on the phone. They're either completely and entirely useless, or they're unbelievably nasty. Their fees are ridiculous and their bills are damn near indecipherable.

For the amount we're paying (we get our internet through them, too), I'd at least like to have a decent person on the other line.

They've had a huge monopoly over cable service in my area for years. As I mentioned above, we had DISH in the past, but it's not and option for us since we have 100+yo trees surrounding our property. It also sucked to lose service during bad storms.

Still, I'd like to try Verizon out. We can always go back to Comcast if they're even worse!

-m

Marisa6826
01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
See the post above.

Here's a perfect example. We have Comcast's TiFaux DVR. There has been a glitch in the software where if you turn off both the TV *and* the DVR, when you turn it back on, there's no sound. At all. You have to reset the entire DVR. So, rather than just hit the off button, you have to hit two or three different buttons to turn every thing off. Yeah, it's doable, but it's annoying.

Well, we've called again and again about it. Every time we've called, they tell us that they are aware of it and have no plans to rectify the situation. WTF?!

I am paying them almost $100/mo and I have to climb behind the TV to reset it because their engineers can't figure out a script error? Their latest nonsense are these new banner ads that take up a third of the guide. There's no way to turn it off, and unless you take the extra step of hitting the down button, you inadvertently will 'select' the ad, and you lose the screen you were on previously. I could see if the TV service was free, and that's how they're paying for it, but it's like having to listen to ads before a phone call goes through.

GRRRRR!

-m

chiqanita
01-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Love it.
Switched over to Verizon Fios completely: Internet, Phone svc, and the cable.
Great package deal and costs less.