PDA

View Full Version : Akash's birth story and more (Really long)

asha
01-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Here is my detailed birth story. It is really long, but I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories here. I know I am not the only one here that feels this way. So, here I go.

It was still about 2 weeks before DS was due. I still had to get a whole bunch of things to get done. I had a feeling that the baby would not wait for 2 weeks, so I was in a hurry to get things done.

I was looking for the baby mobile from Tiny love. Of course I was checking these boards. One of the moms posted that the Tiny love mobile that I was looking for was on clearance in Target. SO at 5.30pm, I called a couple of Targets in my area, one of them had them in stock. I put that on hold, went out and picked up my son and drove to Target. My mom was with me all this time. While I was driving to Target, I started feeling funny, dont know what was so different, but I felt unusual for sure. THe trip to Target took longer than usual, so we were there till 7.30. We came home, DS wanted to put up the mobile, we did that. He and I sat down on the floor and did some coloring. DH came home and was really hungry. So, he had dinner, mom gave DS dinner. When I got up from sitting on the floor, something felt wrong. So, the time is around 7.50 by now. I go to the restroom, still cannot point to anything, but things dont feel right. So, I force my mom to finish her dinner too. She senses that I am stressed and has her dinner in a rush. By now, it is 8.10pm. I go to the restroom again and notice a greenish tinge in the vaginal discharge. So, I come out and tell DH we have to leave right then.

My first labor took 45 minutes, so DH and I were both really stressed out that this time things might go faster. So, DH just picks up his wallet and keys and we leave. I tell DS that the baby is coming, so mommy has to go to the hospital. He is surprisingly understanding and lets us leave. 8.20 pm we are in the car and I have my first contraction. Even though it was the first contraction , it was a really painful one. The next contraction comes within 3 minutes. DH is driving as fast as he can. The hospital is about 20 minutes away. Luckily it was a FRiday evening and the crowds had calmed down by then. My contractions get really intense. On our way to the hospital, my water breaks. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to grab a couple of towels and put them on the seat before I sat down. Before I reach the hospital, I feel like pushing.
DH runs all the red lights that he could safely do. We finally get to the hospital. He gets down and calls the nurses to get a wheel chair. I decided I did not have that kind of time and got out of the car and got to the entrance. The nurses who see me on their closed circuit tv decide that I could not stand there and wait, so they open the door. I walk in to the labor and delivery unit and the nurse had finally found a wheel chair for me. Well, forget the wheel chair I was already there. So, they walk me in to the room. Now it is 8.45 pm. They ask me about my contractions, I tell them that I am ready to push. They look at me in disbelief and tell me that they would first check and see how dilated I am. I get in to the bed and the nurse checks me out and agrees with me that I am ready to push.
They call the doctor on call. DH had parked in the handicapped spots, so he has to go and park the car elsewhere. I am in real pain by now and really have no confidence that I can take it anymore. I am really thirsty and asking for some water. THe nurses are in a real hurry and have too many things to do, cannot get me the water I want. They have called the pediatrician and the baby's nurses also. The pediatrician finally gets me some water. I push once, twice and thrice. By now, DH is back after parking teh car, the ob/gyn who was on call is also in the room. Fourth push, the head comes out. One more push my baby is born. It is now 8.51pm on Friday Jan 05.
DS#2 is born 12 days ahead of time, 7 lbs 1 oz and 19 inches tall.

The baby does not cry immediately and I am scared. Turns out he has swallowed some meconium and the nurses start suctioning him. There are three nurses and the pediatrician are all huddled around the baby and busy working on him. Nobody tells me what is wrong and DH and I are really scared by now. After what seemed like a eternity, but only 2 minutes I hear the baby cry and finally the doctors tell me he is fine. He gets good APGAR scores and the pediatrician convinces me that he is doing great.

The nurses finally finish suctioning him and hand him to me. He looks exactly like my first one. We try nursing and he does great. Latching is a problem, but he nurses well after that intial hurdle. We nurse for 10 minutes on each side. He is falling asleep and then he is off to the nursery for his tests and first bath. DH is gone with DS. The doctor finishes up with me and move me to a recovery room.

So, that was my birth story. I know a lot of women will envy me at this point. I agree, labor was smooth and was over before I had a chance to complain. The past three weeks however have been a nightmare. I will get in to the details in a different post. Right now, I am sitting in the hospital, getting ready to go home again. Yup, DS2 has been in the hospital for RSV for the past week. We are going home tomorrow, three weeks after he was born. So, please dont envy me. I really dont want any infant to catch RSV and any of you moms to go through the scare of watching your baby struggle to breathe and get hooked to a bunch of monitors. I am glad DS is feeling better again. In the past three weeks, I have gone to the doctors every single day (with the exception of weekends), for DS1, DS2 and myself. Right now, all I want is to go home and settle down and not go to a doctor's office for a couple of days. DS's ped suspects that he has a heart murmur. So, we have to go meet the pediatric cardiologist soon. DS also has a simean crease on his left hand. One of the nurses put this bug in my mind that a simean crease is one of the symptoms for Down's syndrome. He has no other symptoms and I know Iots of normal people have simean creases. Still, I am getting paranoid. I am now really stressed out about that. In the mean time, DS1 has gone through a viral infection (possibly RSV also) and an ear infection. He has finally started going to school. Things are finally starting to look up. We are still not fully recovered yet, so please send us some of those good vibes that BBB is so famous for. I really need some normalcy right now.

ShanaMama
01-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Hi Asha. I see you are a long time member, but don't recognize you as a recent poster, so welcome back.
CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm sorry that Akash's birth was so bittersweet, sounds like you've had a pretty hard three weeks.
Sending you good thoughts & hoping that things calm down for a while, & you can all rest up healthily and recover your strength.
Keep us posted.

psophia17
01-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Congratulations, Asha and family, and welcome Akash!!!

What a story - hugs and normal vibes coming your way!

octmom
01-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Congratulations, Asha and welcome to the world, Akash! Sending you lots of get well vibes and hoping that everyone in your household is healthy very soon.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

usfrph
01-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Congratulations! Hope you and your family feel better soon.

caleymama
01-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Congratulations to you and your family! I hope your sweet baby is healthy very soon and that DS1 feels better too. Take care of yourself and enjoy your new little one.

elliput
01-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Congratulations, Asha! And welcome, Akash!

I was just thinking of you a couple days ago and that we hadn't seen you around in a while. Many good vibes headed to you and your family.

elephantmeg
01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
wow! Congrats and hope things get easier soon!

g-mama
01-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Congratulations, Asha and welcome baby Akash! I hope that your little one stays completely healthy and that you can stay home safe and sound enjoying him. Keep us posted.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

Lovingliv
01-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Big hugs mama!!!!

So glad you are bringing your baby home!!!! Get some rest and plenty of healthy vibes coming your way!

anamika
01-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Asha.
Congrats. I was thinking of you just yesterday and wondering if your son was here yet. I love the name.
Hope he recovers soon and you are home soon.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Congratulations! I hope that everyone gets healthy and settled soon and you can move forward into enjoying your new little family. :)

Beth

mommyoftwo
01-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Congratulations Asha!. I'm really sorry things have been so challenging and crazy for you right now. I hope things settle down for you very soon and you can all get some much needed rest.

Sillygirl
01-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Congratulations. I am so impressed with how sure you were about things when your labor started.

Healing vibes headed to you and your family.

pb&j
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your story! Congratulations, and I hope all are feeling better soon.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

american_mama
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like you and DH worked great as a team in getting to the hospital, and both had confidence that your feelings were accurate. I hope that gives you both a beautiful foundation for the next few days and weeks adjusting to your family of four. And I hope Akash continues to get better without anyone else getting worse.

dules
01-28-2007, 05:07 PM
What an amazing birth story! Congratulations on your beautiful new baby boy and wishing you tons of strength and healthy thoughts as you deal with the hurdles you've been thrown since his birth.

Mary

jennabear
01-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Congrats to you. I hope everyone is better real soon!

Wife_and_mommy
01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you for sharing your story with us. :)

I hope you're all whole and well very soon.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/dBwAm5.png

ribbit1019
01-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh my! I am glad things went well, but so sad that you have had such a rough three weeks. I really hope things look up for you very very soon!!

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

kozachka
01-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Thank you for sharing your amazing birth story, Asha. I really hope everything turns out well with DS2 health-wise and that everybody else stays healthy. Sending lots of healthy vibes and hugs your way.

denna
01-29-2007, 03:52 AM
Congratulations Asha! And welcome Akash!!! It sounds like you have a bitersweet birth story. It is so wonderful to hear that Akash is recovering well and you are finally able to leave the hospital. Sending ((good health)) vibes to you and your family. I hope you are now able to recover better and enjoy your baby boy that much more.

Crunchymom
01-29-2007, 05:04 AM
Wow, what an intense 3 weeks you've had. Congratulations on your new baby and here's sending you some calm and healthy vibes!

karolyp
01-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Congratulations on your new addition and welcome to the world Akash!

I'm sending you tons of get well vibes and I truly hope that things get better for your quickly. Take care mama and congrats again.

newnana
01-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Congratulations, Asha! And welcome, Akash! Here's to things calming down and health being restored.
Michelle

maestramommy
01-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Wow! Not a long story at all, but rather exciting. ((BIG HUGS)), so glad your little one is finally home from the hospital. Hope the 4 of you get some much needed peace and rest. And may I say I love your baby's name? It's quite unusual (to me), but the more I say it the beautiful it sounds :-)

Congratulations to your family.

mommy111
01-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Congratulations Asha and welcome Akash!

MamaKath
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Congratulations! What a wonderful birth story. :-) I do enjoy hearing them. I pray all goes well for your family and that all of you feel better soon. And that all tests turn out well. Such a stress for a mother! Hopefully you will get a few days of quiet at home with your family in the near future. :-)

brittone2
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Welcome Akash. Sending healthy thoughts in your family's direction.

missym
01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Congratulations on Akash's birth, and thanks for sharing the story! I'm sorry that you've had such struggles health-wise, and hope you are all feeling better soon. Hang in there, mama!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **