PDA

View Full Version : Proper alcohol for Tiramisu

KBecks
01-28-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm making tiramisu today for a playgroup potluck dinner and have never made it before. I've found recipes that use coffee liqueur or espresso + sweet marsala wine.

Which should I use? I want it to taste like what I've experienced in restaurants.

Thanks!

elliput
01-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I have used both options and both are equally delish. Love tiramisu, it's an "O" on a plate.

bostonsmama
01-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I've never had it without rum, although sometimes bakeries will use rum + sweet marsala. I've also had it with rum + amaretto extract (which is diluted in alcohol). No matter what alcohol, they all use espresso. You might also like to skip that step and use Kahlua. Yum!

If you ever don't want to make it from scratch again, Dr. Oetker makes a fabulous boxed kit where you provide your own espresso and liqueurs. It's a wonderful substitute for the real thing.

niccig
01-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Coffee and Grappa. Mmmm, tiramisu I should make mine. It's such an easy dessert to make, and it looks/tastes impressive that people think you're a kitchen goddess.

I would go for the marsala wine if you don't/can't use grappa..you can then have the leftovers mixed in with coca cola.

Nicci