PDA

View Full Version : Is this do-able?

JoyNChrist
01-28-2007, 10:00 AM
DH thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do this, so I'm looking for back-up to change his mind. :-)

A local dance studio is offering salsa lessons. I took waltz and tango lessons in college (and loved them), but salsa's always been my dream. We used to go to this great Mexican bar in college, where every Saturday night they had $1 margaritas and a salsa band. I have to admit that the $1 margaritas weren't exactly conducive to my dancing ability, so I never actually learned to salsa. ;-) But I've always wanted to and I've been on the lookout for lessons.

DH is not much of a dancer, but he said he'd take the classes with me. The only problem is that they start the last weekend in March. It's eight weeks of lessons (2 hours every other Saturday). DH doesn't want me to sign up because he thinks it'll be too much for me with the new baby. But the way I see it, the baby's due in early March. I'll have close to a month to recover from delivery, and then it's only 2 hours every other week. It's not like I want to start training for a marathon or anything.

I think it's a good idea - it'll get me exercising and it'll give DH and I a reason to get out of the house without the baby. Childcare isn't an issue - both our mothers are more than willing to help out. And I really want to take them this time around because they only offer it once a year (it's a rotating schedule...salsa, waltz, tango, etc, all in 8 week blocks). But DH is still worried that it'll be too much for me so soon after the baby's born.

So what do y'all think? I really want to do it, but I'll wait if it's really not feasible. But if I'm going to sign up, I need to do it next week, so I have to make up my mind.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2007, 10:06 AM
First, baby could come 2 weeks late so factor that in.

Second, with a bf baby you may be on call for feedings a lot in those early weeks. A session could take 20-40+ minutes and you need to nurse every 2 hours, just about. So, logistically it could be tough to fit in the class even if a mom brought the baby to you. If the timing worked out just right and class wesn't far away or very long it could work. Just something to consider.

Since the class is every other week that is helpful.

Those first 6 weeks were a blur for me but they may not be for you. I couldn't even figure out the logistics of the postnatal exercise class 5 minutes away where you could take baby until he was like 3 months old. :)

All that said, if the price is right I would sign up and plan to make it to whatever classes you could and be willing to miss some. It would be a lot of fun.

Beth

pb&j
01-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Go for it! Yeah, it's a little nuts, but you'll find a way to make it work. And it sounds like a fun way to get back in shape postpartum! If you have a C section, you may not be up to some of the more strenuous moves right away, but I figure the first couple lessons are probably more like synchronized walking than full-on salsa. Have fun!!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Melanie
01-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Uh, I think hubby's right. at worst, he's wrong and you can sign up for the next session.

My first was due early November and I thought that meant I'd have plenty of time to get into the new mommy groove before the holidays. Um, yeah, that so didn't happen. It was an enormous adjustment for us.

HTH

MartiesMom2B
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
I would wait for the next session if possible. It's pretty close after the baby is born, especially since you plan on BFing.

I want to take ballroom dance classes after the baby is born - DH refuses to go with me. So I'm jealous that your husband is willing to go with you. I took ballroom in college and had a ton of fun, and after watching Dancing W/ The Stars it looks like an awesome way to exercise.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

elephantmeg
01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I'd go for the next cycle, as much fun as that sounds :) DS was a week late and at 3 weeks postpartum (after an unplaned c-section) I don't think I had enought stuff together to go out-plus I had a 6 week restriction on exercizing (except walking). I'm pretty sure that 6 week restriction on exercizing is universal with vaginal and c-sections but I'm not sure. I also was still bleeding until right before my 6 week check up... Depending on if you tear you might feel pretty awful even without a c-section. Anyways YMMV!

KBecks
01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
go and just take it easy intensity wise nak

Kungjo
01-29-2007, 01:35 AM
I would wait and do it next time they offer it. Right, now there's too many unknowns.

Baby can come one or two weeks late. If he's a big baby, you may tear or you could have a C-Section. Either would limit your movement. Plus which, even if your mom and MIL are there to help watch the baby during the lessons, you may not have the energy to dance. Some babies are super sleepers at that age or you could have one that has his days and nights all mixed up. When that happens, sleep will be the most important thing to you. Not dancing. It may be doable if it was last weekend of April. I think you may be pushing it since it's the last weekend of March. It's going to be a huge adjustment with late night feedings and diaper changes, etc. Plus your body will still be recooperating from the stress of having a baby.

AngelaS
01-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Go for it! Even if you're breastfeeding, it's only two hours. You can feed the baby before you leave and be back in time to feed him again. :) I say it sounds like the perfect accountability to get in a shower and put on real clothes post partum! :D

turtledove
01-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Personally, there is no way I could have done it. My breasts were still very sore, and I really needed sleep whenever I could get it. I would wait for the next session- you would probably get more out of it.

newnana
01-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Salsa is complicated. I'd be worried about DH :) That's great that he's willing to go with you to this, I would love to convince mine to do something like this! That said, I would probaby wait a session if possible. I tore pretty well with DD and couldn't have done it that soon after. HTH,
Michelle

jenjenfirenjen
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
That sounds like fun and I definitely think y'all should do it...but at a later date. One month is really not enough time to fully recover from birth. I was still bleding anytime I did anything even remotely strenuous two months after giving birth to my 2nd one. Not to mention you will most likely be so sleep deprived you will want to use that grandma babysitting time to sleep.

crayonblue
01-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I personally would wait until a later class. One month post-partum I was still bleeding, very sore and still figuring out breast-feeding. Oh, and very, very emotional as I got hit quite hard with post-partum depression that I totally did not see coming. I had a vaginal delivery complete with forceps and a whopper of an episiotomy and hemorroihds that resulted in a longer than normal recovery but I suspect that if you end up having a C-section, you might not be ready to boogie all over the dance floor one month post-partum.

Sorry to be a total downer about this. I just know that for me, salsa lessons would have been the last thing I could have tackled. Getting a daily shower and eating were good goals for the day! :)

Adjusting to a new baby is hard work. Wonderful and joyous but not easy!

MayB
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
I hate to even give my opinion because everyone is different, but since you asked: there was no way I could have done that 1 month PP with DS (sleep deprivation, constant bfing), but totally think I could've with DD. They were (and are) just completely different children. I'd only sign up if I could get a refund. It's such a crapshoot.

cstack
01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
well, I was going to say "Salsa, Babee", but then the PPs all had great insight. Would you have to pay for the classes if you couldn't take them? If all you'd have to do is wait until the next session, then I'd say sign up for the classes - you have nothing to lose, if you can't do it, you can't do it... If you have to pay regardless of whether you take the classes, I'd wait. I had to go back to finish my student teaching 3 weeks after DS was born my emergency C/S. I was able to do it, but it was tiring. With both my first vaginal birth (first child), I had an episiotomy, so had a tough time sitting, but was OK walking by 2 weeks pp. With DD, I had stayed very active all through my pregnancy and 2 days pp, I was walking a mile a day. Every pregnancy and birth is different, so only you will know for sure *after* you give birth whether you feel up to it.