PDA

View Full Version : IUDs and religious objections

himom
01-28-2007, 07:56 PM
I know someone asked this in another thread, but I need to get a very clear, definitive answer to this since I need to decide it soon too. I plan to breastfeed for at least a year, I'm scared of the mini pill's lack of efficiency, and I don't think I can take a regular pill. Still, I need some sort of birth control, and it needs to prevent conception completely rather than preventing implantation.

I've always understood that an IUD of any kind does something to the uterus that keeps a fertilized egg from being able to implant. Thus the pregnancy cannot progress. The more I read here, the more it sounds like I misunderstood this.

The Mirena info in the other thread didn't say anything about this. Maybe that's what they meant by the uterine lining being thin, or maybe they just didn't mention it? Or maybe it does all the three things listed PLUS has the irritating, prevents implantation effect?

How does a copper IUD work? Since it has no hormones, it just keeps anything from implanting?

Is there an IUD that ONLY prevented conception (as opposed to one that prevents conception and also prevents implantation should conception occur)? If so, I would love to know about it...the Mirena sounds like it could be the answer for me but it also seems like it's leaving some crucial information out.

I tried an "Ask Jeeves" and a Google search on this and I couldn't find much. I did find a lot of "we're not sure how an IUD works but it might do XYZ." Mostly they say they might prevent fertilization by affecting sperm and egg movement, but it's always a "might" or "may." Also it "might" or "may" prevent implantation, but that's mentioned less often.

Anyone? Anyone? Somebody who knows this stuff? I also long for lighter periods...

TIA!

Jodi

PS...Not looking to start an abortion/abortafacient right vs wrong debate. I just want to know if an IUD does this or not.

gatorsmom
01-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I've read/heard before that doctors aren't exactly sure how the IUD works- I mean they aren't exactly sure what exactly, makes it effective.

If you are looking to completely avoid contraception and not just implantation, why not just use condoms? (I know, I know, more messy, not as convenient, DHs don't like them... It would, however, make your decision a bit easier.

not sure I helped..sorry

himom
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid condoms are probably our only option. We hate them, for all the reasons you listed, but there doesn't seem to be another choice.

I just thought I might've seen a ray of light with the Mirena!! Wah! :(

ShanaMama
01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
As the PP said, it seems that even the makers of the IUD aren't completely sure how it prevents pregnancy. The Mirena obviously has a hormonal aspect to it, but how could a bunch of copper prevent fertilization/ implantation, etc?
IIRC, the info I read before getting my Paraguard (copper IUD) said that the copper creates an environment which is not conducive to pregnancy. The way it was explained to me is that it makes the area non-conducive to both fertilization & implantation, although no clear explanation of how. It definitely does not kill the sperm prior to reaching the egg, like a spermicide would.
Hope you find a BC option that works for you.

cvanbrunt
01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
What about Depo-Provera? It's progesterone only and works by preventing ovulation. I was on it years ago and had no period the entire time.

Wife_and_mommy
01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I was unclear on this too so I asked ds's doc(a family practictioner whom I trust)about it. I couldn't gather the info I was interested in from the manu. info either.

The IUD definitely does not prevent conception like the combo pill does. How it works doesn't concern me once this simple fact was known absolutely.

We've been using conds which was completely new for us. It wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. DH is on board since it means we can't make a baby. Give them a try. You might be surprised.

Hth.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/dBwAm5.png

Bethann31
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Jodi,

I understand that you are wanting a form of bc that prevents conception, but I worry that condoms are really not a great choice either. I'll bet every one of us here could name several people who got pregnant while using condoms, including me.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

gatorsmom
01-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Ha! I can name SEVERAL people who got pregnant after tubal ligations, vasectomies, birth control pills, condoms... you name it. NOTHING is full proof. (Well, except a hysterectomy- don't know of any pregnancies after that).

megs4413
01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I asked my doctor this very question because the IUD seemed like the only possible option for me besides condoms, but I was uncomfortable with the religious implications. He said that the IUD woudl create a "hostile" environment for pregnancy and could theoretically disrupt the implantation of a fertilized egg. Of course there woudl be no way to know whether or not eggs were being fertilized and then not implanting because of the IUD. He also said that it was possible for a pregnancy to implant with the IUD still in place, in which case, accidental abortion could result. I decided that the "possiblities" made me just uncomfortable enough to decide against it. I think I would just be freaking out every month that I was unknowingly ending pregnancies. I had an early miscarriage between kids, and it was really hard on me emotionally. I didn't want to think that I was miscarrying over and over and just not knowing it, even though the doctor made that seem like a very remote possibility (in the case where implantation would occur and then the fetus would abort because of the IUD). I certainly don't think using an IUD is wrong, but for me it was just too complicated "mentally". Condoms were our only option and we used them in combo with basic NFP. DH is getting the big V after DS is born....

ajmom
01-29-2007, 01:34 AM
My OB explained that an IUD doe not prevent ovulation. Therefore, however an IUD works, you could still have fertilization of an egg b/c you are still releasing eggs. That was enough to make me decide against it.

My OB also introduced me to Vaginal contraceptive film that he said has the same prevention rate as condoms (85%). It is a spermicidal film that you insert at least 15 minutes before sex. After it's served it's purpose, it dissolves completely and is released from the body with other bodily fluids. You don;t have the discomfort of condoms and you don't have to worry about stopping in the middle of sex to put it in. You can buy it at WalMart in the condom section. We're very happy with it!

AngelaS
01-29-2007, 07:14 AM
We used VCF w/the TCOYF method effectively for quite a while. Just remember that if your dh looks REALLY good to you, you might be fertile even if your chart says it's not quite time yet. ;)

crayonblue
01-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Jodi,

Thanks for asking this. I have the same concerns about IUDs and cannot take any hormonal birth control at all (due to medical reasons). Unfortunately, that leaves condoms or no sex as the only options if we want to avoid getting pregnant! DH isn't real happy about the condom option but likes it better than the no sex option!!!

masha12
01-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Have you looked into natural family planning. My husband and I used is successfully before our first baby, but I never tried to master it while breastfeeding because we just did not care if I got pregnant again.

There are a bunch of different NFP options out there. I did the Billings, which does not involve temperature taking. I think if I wanted to do it while breastfeeding, I would do one that involves temperature taking because I think it would be more effective.

I would say it takes at least 2 months to "master" it, and so you and your husband would need to be careful, but I include the fact that NFP requires the husband to take responsibility for fertility as another reason I love NFP.

Anyway, I know this doesn't answer your IUD question, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility that you might want to at least check out to see if it would work for you.

mommyoftwo
01-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Just FYI, while it's thought that the main mechanism of action of hormonal birth control is to prevent ovulation, it also can prevent implantation after fertilization. This doesn't happen very often but it does happen so if prevention of implantation is a concern for you (it was for me) that means hormonal birth control is out as well. You could try a diaphragm or cervical cap. Both can be put in at the beginning of the day and if you have sex that night you are covered. It's not the perfect solution but definitely better than condoms IMO because you don't have to stop what you are doing in the moment to get birth control. I know women who just put their diaphragm in every morning so they are always protected should the occasion arise. The only thing you need to do if you have sex more than one time before taking it out is insert more spermacide. I used a diaphragm before I had a tubal done and it worked quite well for us.

Melanie
01-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Okay, so this professor I had in college said the IUD was discovered b/c (what's the word here...nomads? people who rode camels in "ancient times") learned that if they put a rock IN their camel, it would not get PG, which of course is better for the person who needs to use it for their livelihood. Of course I'm wondering, how on Earth did they figure that out?

Anyway, same concept as the IUD. You should not get PG if something is going on in there. Of course, like any other method...there are stories and then the IUD *could* be stuck IN your baby (yes, I heard one like that, it was imbedded in baby's hand).

Is there nothing PERFECT? I guess we were all just meant to reproduce our species into complete self-destruction.

psophia17
01-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Be careful with VCF, though - both DH and I suffered chemical burns when we tried it, during our search for effective OTC birth control a couple of years ago...never, ever again.

MommyAllison
01-29-2007, 01:54 PM
>>then the IUD *could* be stuck IN your baby (yes, I heard one like that, it was imbedded in baby's hand)<<

YIKES!!

I know this is slightly off topic, but FWIW, my doctor told me that the minipill does not prevent conception either.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Diaphram, sponge, female condom...

Beth

kijip
01-29-2007, 09:04 PM
The spermicide film has a high failure rate. Perfect use is not especially common. Most educators reccomend its use in tandem with a barrier method and not as a stand alone method. Also, like Petra said, people can be sensitive to them.

Basically if you are uncomfortable with the possibility of a fetilized egg being prevented from implantation and want something besides NFP or sterilization, condoms or another barrier method in tandem with a spermicide is the most effective option.

kijip
01-29-2007, 09:04 PM
The spermicide film has a high failure rate. Perfect use is not especially common. Most educators reccomend its use in tandem with a barrier method and not as a stand alone method. Also, like Petra said, people can be sensitive to them.

Basically if you are uncomfortable with the possibility of a fetilized egg being prevented from implantation and want something besides NFP or sterilization, condoms or another barrier method in tandem with a spermicide is the most effective option.

jawilli4
01-29-2007, 10:01 PM
FWIW DH discovered Inspiral condoms last year and loves them. We use them with VCF for peace of mind. If you go the condom route, you might want to consider checking them out.

kijip
01-29-2007, 10:12 PM
True dat. Not all condoms are created equal. It is worth looking around for higher than drugstore quality condoms if condoms bother you or your partner. :P

ribbit1019
01-29-2007, 10:25 PM
> I guess we were all just meant to reproduce our species into complete self-destruction.

LOL! :)

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

buddyleebaby
01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
>FWIW DH discovered Inspiral condoms last year and loves them.
> We use them with VCF for peace of mind. If you go the condom
>route, you might want to consider checking them out.

Ears perking...

Off to google says the Catholic with two under two.
Thank you!

himom
01-31-2007, 03:31 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions and input. It looks like any kind of IUD is out for me, so I'll look into the other options.

It's kind of a bummer that more info isn't more readily available on this. Like the mini pill doesn't prevent conception? My last doc recommended it and I decided not to try it solely because he warned me it wasn't terribly reliable. He didn't mention a thing about how it worked.

Thanks again all!

Jodi

Wife_and_mommy
01-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Must be quick but wanted to share this site.

I've found lots of good info on it.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/dBwAm5.png

mommyoftwo
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately, any form of hormonal birth control does not guarentee prevention of conception. It's more common that you think and doctors will never tell you about that aspect of it. Birth control issues can be really tough when you have ethical objections to the way certain forms of birth control work. :(

Fairy
01-31-2007, 11:31 AM
If "every sperm is sacred" (I just loooove Monty Python!), then just another nail in the coffin on the IUD for you, I'm so sorry! How the IUD works, truly, I'm not sure, but seems to me that since eggs are generally fertilized in the fallopian tubes, then by the time the blastocyst reaches the uterine walls, the IUD is going to prevent it embedding; won't do a thing for what's going on in the fallopian tube. Unfortunately, I agree with other posters that your only real choice choice for preventing conception, period, short of abstinence of intercourse, is a barrier method. I would not rely on natural family planning, as our bodies are weird things and just can't be relied on to stick to a schedule every time. However, I do think that NFP can be effective to a point. Relied on, no. But I wouldn't dismiss it as a factor in your contraception.

mommyoftwo
01-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Very well said. :)