PDA

View Full Version : What songs make you cry?

heytootsy
01-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I love sad music. Whenever I listen to James Blunt's cd, Goodbye my Lover always gets me teary-eyed. So does Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. What makes you teary-eyed?

jenjenfirenjen
01-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I cry at the drop of a hat but these are just a few of the songs just about guaranteed to make me tear up:

"Zion" by Lauren Hill...I sing this to my boys and can hardly sing "And I thank you for choosing me, to come through unto life to be" Damn, tearing up just typing it

"Fire and Rain" by James Taylor...because my dad always sang this me as a little girl

"Black" by Pearl Jam...too personal to get into why

"Dance with Father" by Luther Vandross

"Top of the World" by the Dixie Chicks...I have no real idea what this song is about but in my mind it's tragic and I love it and it makes me cry. Oh, and Patty Griffin is damn fine songwriter

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, everything is making me teary lately but these 2 songs got to me this weekend-

Joshua Radin's "What if You" and "Closer"

I went to see that movie "Catch and Release" this weekend and (imo) the only good thing about it was the soundtrack. That "What if You" song is in that movie and as soon as I got home I bought the song for my iPod since it was just so moving.

Sometimes "By Your Side" by Sade.

I know there are more but those get my vote today.

Beth

Corie
01-28-2007, 10:01 PM
"When You Say Nothing At All"
by Keith Whitley

maestramommy
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
A really good arrangement of "Be Thou My Vision" always gets me choked up. I want to sing along, but can't get past the first few lines.

"I can only imagine" by Mercy Me is another.

fortato
01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
"When You Say Nothing At All"
by Keith Whitley"
The Alison Krauss version....

Every time.

Oh...and since Jack was born- Baby Mine- Bette Midler.

lmintzer
01-28-2007, 10:10 PM
"The Things We've Handed Down" by Marc Cohn

"The One Who Knows" by Dar Williams (kind of sappy, but someone put it on a mix album for me when Joshua was born, and it gets me every time).

pb&j
01-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Side of the Road by Lucinda Williams.

May I Suggest by Susan Werner (but I love the Vance Gilbert version)

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

kcandz
01-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Dar Williams! Yes, runs close with sap. Still, "When I Was a Boy" got me weepy even before I became a mother. Now, it guarantees waterworks.

bostonsmama
01-28-2007, 11:30 PM
How funny you mention this. My mom and stepdad sang duets for our church's midwinter music concert this evening (all secular music) and I was chest-heaving crying during their performance of "One Hand, One Heart" from Westside Story. They sung it at their wedding...and mine. It was the only moment I cried during my own wedding...and again tonight. (My mom has such a beautiful voice.)

They also sang "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera....another beautiful song b/c ALW is such an awesome composer, but it was the look my stepdad gave my mom when he sang these words that got me choked up:
"I'm here, nothing can harm you, my words will warm and calm you. Let me be your freedom, let daylight dry your tears;
I'm here, with you, beside you,to guard you and to guide you."

Sigh.

I cry when Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" and Mercy Me's "I Can Only Imagine," come on the radio.

JennM
01-28-2007, 11:44 PM
The first two random songs that come to my mind are "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride and "Hello" by Lionel Richie. I love them both but tear up EVERY time I hear them.

SpaceGal
01-28-2007, 11:53 PM
For DH and I it would have to be Coldplay's Fix You song.

We listened to it all the time while DS was in the hospital for open heart surgery. We'd go to the hospital see DS and when we would leave to eat or what not that would be the song to play when we got in the car. Of course Ds made it and is the crazy stunt man that he is today but man at the time it was baby boy's song.

I just listened to it yesterday it's been a long time since I've heard it and it got me all teary eyed to recall that sad scary time of my baby's life.

lisams
01-29-2007, 12:06 AM
"With Arms Wide Open" by Creed

"I Run For Life" by Melissa Etheridge - I think of my mom each and every time I hear this. It brings back the memories of her BC diagnosis as if it were yesterday. She's a survivor.

"A New Day Has Come" by Celine Dion - When we were TTC for so long with DD this song really touched me.

mama2g03
01-29-2007, 12:35 AM
"The One Who Knows" is the first song that came to my mind, too.
Also, "Who Will Sing Me Lullabies" by Kate Rusby.

dylansnan
01-29-2007, 03:36 AM
"My Wish" -Rascal Flatts
"Fireflies" -Faith Hill
"Home" -Michael Buble

denna
01-29-2007, 04:01 AM
There are quite a few songs that get me all weepy but here are a few I can think of:

Far Away---Nickelback

Love me when Im gone--3 Doors Down

Just a few questions--Clay Walker

Believe---LIVE

MayB
01-29-2007, 06:44 AM
100 Years by Five for Fighting
True Companion by Marc Cohn

Pennylane
01-29-2007, 08:25 AM
"I will be here" by Steven Curtis Chapman

"I'm already There" by Lonestar

"I'll be" Edwin McCain

I love sad songs!

Ann

KHF
01-29-2007, 09:05 AM
"To Where You Are" and "You're Still You" by Josh Groban...they get me every time. Also, when my Mom sings "His Eye Is On the Sparrow." "To Where You Are" and Sparrow make me think of my grandparents that I miss terribly. The other one is just me being sappy :-)

Kirsten

lablover
01-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Angels Among Us by Alabama

trumansmom
01-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Patty Griffin is amazing! Her song "You Are Not Alone" (at least that's what I think it's called) from her first album gets me every time.

I'm a big sap. There are TONS of songs that make me cry!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom
01-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Oooh! I love that song! She is so amazing!

Jeanne

trumansmom
01-29-2007, 09:42 AM
You guys picked some great ones!!

Jeanne

Puddy73
01-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm such a sap that lots of songs make me cry, especially on the way home from work when I'm all alone in the car and I need a stress release. A few that come to mind:

Don't Know Why by Norah Jones
Friends by Michael W. Smith
When September Ends by Green Day
Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton
God Only Knows by the Beach Boys
Moon River
Always on my Mind by Willie Nelson
One More Day (I think Lonestar sings this one. I remember hearing it frequently right after 9/11.)

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

jgriffin
01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't think these are sad songs per se, but since E was born they often make me cry. Dang, my eyes are tearing up right now just thinking about them.

"When you Dream" by Bare Naked Ladies
"Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" by John Lennon
"Circle Game" by Joni Mitchell

BeachBaby
01-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Mine has already been mentioned, but I heard it randomly this weekend so I had to post ... "I'm Already There". I tear up just thinking about that song. I was getting my hair done and it came on the radio station they were playing in the salon; I started crying right there! My stylist thought I was nuts. :)

And I'm so not a religious person, but "Amazing Grace" gets me everytime, too.

Ceepa
01-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Larissa, Figured I was the only one who would have thought of that song!

tarahsolazy
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
"The One Who Knows" for me, too, I love Dar. I used to sing that song to my little guy when he was a baby.

Also Ben Folds' "We're Still Fighting It"

katiesmommy
01-29-2007, 12:37 PM
"I'm already there" by Lonestar. The mix version, with the people talking in it, everytime.

I know there's more, but that's the only one I can think of right now.

Lauraford
01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
"I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack always gets me.

Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" usually makes me well up too.

R2sweetboys
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
"Who you'd be today" by Kenny Chesney-never fails. It's about the death of a child or someone young and it's just so sad. This line is what always gets me-"Would you see the world, would you chase your dreams,Settle down with a family,I wonder what would you name your babies"

There's a new country song out called "Alyssa lies" about a girl who meets another little girl at school who is abused and tries to hide it from her schoolmates.

"Blessed" by Martina McBride-happy tears though. :)

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

jeminaal
01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
"Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle makes me cry everytime. DH refuses to listen to it because it hits him, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Kisses-Shades-Grace-Carlisle/dp/B00000058R

Here are the lyrics:
http://www.weddingvendors.com/music/lyrics/b/bob-carlisle/butterfly-kisses/

Edited to add a link

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

almostamom
01-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Anyone else getting a bit misty as they read this thread or is it just me? I've got tears about to spill onto my cheeks as I start thinking about these songs. (ETA - Jeanne, I just saw your post - you've got company. Let's cry together!) You all have already listed so many of mine (pretty much they all make me cry!) Just a few to add....

"Fly Me to the Moon" - that's for my Poppop. He danced to that song with my sister at her wedding. He passed away 6 weeks later.

"You are Very Special to Me" - I think that's what it's called. I think it's the last song on the Baby Signing Vol. 2 dvd.

Anyone else remember the Kleenex commercial from years ago where the little girl is dancing with her daddy to "Daddy's Little Girl" (I think Michael Bolton was singing - yep, it's that old). I cried my eyes out every time I saw that commercial!

Linda

jenjenfirenjen
01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
LOL! So glad I'm not the only one that tears up from Signing Time. I'm not sure which song you're referring to but "We've Got the Good"...I think that's what it's called, has made me tear up in the past.

momathome
01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
The song "I Hope You Dance" came on the radio right after I dropped Liza off for her first day of preschool 5 and a half years ago now and I cried my eyes out. :)

Another one that makes me cry is Shania Twain's "From this Moment" - I heard this on the radio when Kasey was just a few weeks old and when you apply the lyrics to the love a mother feels for her child, you cry. ;)

mommyto4
01-29-2007, 07:03 PM
"Keeper of the Stars" by Tracey Byrd,"Many A Mile" by Vince Gill, "Let Them be Little" by ??. There are lots of others that get to me too.

candybomiller
01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar.

candybomiller
01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar.