PDA

View Full Version : Best company for home warranty?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
01-29-2007, 02:30 PM
We are getting really close to buying a house here (yay!) and I was trying to find a company for a home warranty. I did a google search, but came up with a lot of companies I have never heard of. Does anyone have or know of one that is good and reputible?

Thanks!

newnana
01-29-2007, 03:10 PM
We had one through Coldwell Banker Gundaker and they were great. We had it on a condo and during that time had problems with the AC, the ovens, and the garbage disposal and they were fantastic then. The number from our old contract was 1-800-769-7181. I don't know if that still works, but they were great. It looks like the Coldwell Banker home warranty is offered through AON Home Warranty Services, Inc. Don't know if that is still true. HTH,
Michelle

jenjenfirenjen
01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
I used to be a realtor and our clients always used First American, as did DH and I. I never had to use them but clients did and had good experiences.

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2007, 04:34 PM
We have an HSA warranty. It hasn't helped us any since we bought it 3 years ago because we haven't needed it (knock on wood!!) but it's an older house so we keep it just in case (roof, furnace...).

Something I wish someone had told me years ago- check to see if your gas or water company offers:
-sewer line protection
-gas line protection
-water line protection

On Dec. 26th 2 years ago our gas line broke. It was the portion under our driveway. The warranty didn't cover it because outside of the house. So, while it was relatively inexpensive ($1000) I wish that we had gas line coverage. Now, I have all of them. :) Everyone I talked to was like, "duh, of course you should have those" but I just thought that the ads we got with our bills were $ making scams.

Beth

Bethann31
01-29-2007, 08:36 PM
If you are negotiating for a house, try to have the seller buy the basic warranty and you pick up the cost of the extras. I am a realtor and I use Olde Republic quite a bit, because I know they honor their warranties. www.orhp.com.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

kbudsberg
01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
When we bought our previous house the seller gave us one through AB May. We never needed to use it but they did come out and check things over for us.

Kim

kbudsberg
01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
When we bought our previous house the seller gave us one through AB May. We never needed to use it but they did come out and check things over for us.

Kim

sdoyle
01-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I have had 2 home warranties and haven't used either so I don't have much advice as to which are "good". I just wanted to say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I've been following your posts because I'm kind of a real estate geek and I'm really excited for you. Make sure you tell us about your house. (Is it the "older" or "younger"? :))

Stacy

sdoyle
01-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I have had 2 home warranties and haven't used either so I don't have much advice as to which are "good". I just wanted to say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I've been following your posts because I'm kind of a real estate geek and I'm really excited for you. Make sure you tell us about your house. (Is it the "older" or "younger"? :))

Stacy