PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this antibiotic?

Radosti
01-29-2007, 04:30 PM
My DS had this nasty upper respiratory bacterial thing going on forever that I kept trying to get the doctors to give me an antibiotic for. Well, after finally putting my foot down and forcing the ped to prescribe the antibiotic (Augmentin), I was just waiting for DS to get over the stomach bug before starting it.

Well, I guess his system finally won over the bug because his green junky nose cleared up and while it's still stuffy and runny, it's all clear (and is very similar to the viral cold DH and I have), so I assume that he cleared the bacterial thing and picked up my cold.

So, now I have an untouched bottle of mixed up Augmentin in the fridge that we are not going to use. I called the ped to confirm, and the ped still has to call me back. The receptionist said that they don't want it back to give to someone else.

This stuff is expensive for those who don't have insurance. It seems like such a waste to let it go bad. Any suggestions on what I should do with it so that it doesn't go to waste???

brittone2
01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I doubt there's anyone who will take it for liability reasons, kwim?

I've heard of infertility clinics taking back unused/unopened meds and donating them to patients without insurance coverage, but that's one of the only cases I've heard of docs taking unused meds. Even that is pretty uncommon.

Glad your little guy is feeling better :)

Momof3Labs
01-29-2007, 05:10 PM
It has such a short shelf life that not much really can be done with it. I'd just toss it, honestly.

lilycat88
01-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah, what she said. It's only good for about 10 days I think after it's been mixed.

jgriffin
01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I would take it back to the pharmacy and ask them to dispose of it properly. It's too bad that it's wasted, but a doctor/pharmacy would not want the liability of giving it to someone else, and you shouldn't take the risk of giving it to someone yourself.

As our ped was prescribing our first antibiotics for E's nasty yucky cold she said that he's probably feel better before we even made it to the pharmacy. And she was right, I never filled it because he was fine 2 days later. :)

Radosti
01-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks! The ped called me back and told me to hold on to it for a few days to make sure the bacterial stuff is really gone. Then, I'll toss it.