PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy Photos - Did you take them & what did you do with them?

ciaobella
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Curious to know if any of you had maternity photos taken (or took them yourself) ... and if so, what did you do with them?

A friend took photos of me for a photography class with DS#1 and my DH took photos this weekend (and they turned out great!) - but they are not exactly appropriate to frame, iykwim?

There is probably one from each set that I can put in the baby book, but even those would probably embarass my boys one day!

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

shilo
01-30-2007, 12:12 AM
i think you should frame them, even just for yourself. can you put them in your master bath or your closet, just for yourself? i so wish i had done this for myself. i was too embarassed at the time about the way my body was changing, but i have such different feelings about the whole process now that i have my DS. i just didn't know how proud i'd be of what my body made or how much love i'd feel. i'd also include them in their scrapbooks or babybooks. you can always crop them if you just want to focus in on a belly as opposed to the full photo's if you think your boys would prefer it that way.

just my 2cents. lori.
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

c914
01-30-2007, 12:30 AM
WISH I would have with #1; now that I am almost 8 months along with #2 I'd like to do something this time around. DH isn't the take an artsy or intimate-type photo though, and this probably isn't something I'd go to JC penney or Sears for, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

spanannie
01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
I have an 11 x 14 of me and my husband next to our bed and one of me, DH, and DS in our black & white photo hallway. There aren't any boobs, etc. showing in either of my pictures, though.

In the one in my bedroom, My boobs and thighs are wrapped in black fabric (sounds weird, looks good...told photographer I didn't want to see any fat :-) ), and in the family shot, I'm wearing jeans with a white shirt unbuttoned.

Crunchymom
01-30-2007, 05:14 AM
I didn't have any professional photos done, but I did take a TON of photos throughout every stage in my pregnancy. I just put them all in a photo album and look at it every now and then. There's about 100 photos!

I'd love to get professional photos taken next time-- black and white ones taken on the beach! I do have my belly cast up in my living room though!

Neatfreak
01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
I have four of my pro maternity photos at the front of the scrapbook I've been keeping for my daughter. I do intend to have one 5x7 framed to keep in our bedroom, but I haven't picked one out to have it printed yet!

BargainMomforLuke
01-30-2007, 08:59 AM
We had some professional photos taken at the beach when I was at 7 months. They are gorgeous! We have one of DH and I hanging in our master bedroom. I also invited my SIL to the photo shoot, as she was 6 weeks behind me. We have some beautiful shots together and gave them to our MIL for her birthday right before the babies were born. My MIL has 3 sons (no girls), so she was absolutely touched that we did that for her. She keeps that picture of us on her bedside table and I know it means so much to her.

One sad thing that did happen is that when I shared the photographer's web site with my mom prior to going to the photo shoot, she actually laughed out loud and thought it was very absurd. Of course, me being 7 months pregnant, I started to cry and really had my feelings hurt. But I got over it and in the end, did not share my pictures with her because I guess she thought it was a weird concept. So just be selective who you share them with.

I'll share a few because no one really ever gets to see them! :-)

Natalie

Neatfreak
01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Natalie, your photos are lovely! The beach was a gorgeous place to have them taken!

My mom still thinks that my photos are weird ... *sigh* I think that appearing in film whilst pregnant just wasn't that popular when she was pg in the '70s ...

lizajane
01-30-2007, 12:07 PM
gorgeous! what a great idea. :)

lizajane
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
i did. for ds#1. i have a friend who is a great photographer. i had him take some as a surprise for DH. i was wearing underwear, but nothing else. i put them in a small black scrapbook for DH and i used a silver paint pen to write a quotation about having a child on the front page, with a note to DH. i believe i said, "to my true love, for giving me another." dh LOVE LOVE LOVES the album AND he shows it to people!!! well, not anymore. but when DS1 was born. men and women! there are b**b shots, too!! but anyhoo. i love them and am so glad i had them taken. (oh, and the friend who shot them is gay, so it certainly didn't upset DH that he saw me topless.)

ciaobella
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
What beautiful photographs! Fwiw, I know a lot of people that think it is strange to take maternity photos ... including my MIL, but I wanted them for me so I just don't share them with her.

I think the scrapbook idea is a great one, that way the photos are organized and in one place, but not necessarily on display. I love the quote idea.

I am covered in the photos by a strategically places arm and hand ... but I think it is still enough to make people uncomfortable.

dr mom
01-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Your photos are beautiful.

dr mom
01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Your photos are beautiful.

anamika
01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
My mom died 6 years back and I love looking at her old pictures. Since I became a mom myself, I especially love the only one of her pregnant (with my sister). There are none of her pregnant with me.
SO save them - your children will cherish them later.
Okay can't type anymore as I'm all tearing up.

ciaobella
01-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh Usha, thank you for sharing. Hugs to you.

brittone2
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
We don't have any professional photos from either pgcy, but I really wish I had done them. We did do a few more intimate ones that DH took during my pg'cy with ds. I have belly shots from every week with him almost.

During my pgcy with dd, I was disappointed I didn't get to take more pregnancy photos. The second child always gets shafted ;) Anyway, I wanted to do something special toward the end of my pgcy since I didn't get to do many belly shots, and we did a belly cast. I still need to plaster and paint it, but I finally got an idea for how I want to paint/decorate mine so now I'm more motivated. I'm hoping we will hang it in our master BR. Probably weird to many people, but to us, it was a really special time. DH also loves a pg body LOL.

brittone2
01-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Usha. I'm sorry that you lost your mom.

brittone2
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Beautiful photos!

How sweet to do that for your MIL. Mine would have laughed in my face LOL. I think some people just don't get it...I guess in their generation you were supposed to be hiding that pg belly. Maternity clothes weren't "sexy" and women didn't bare their bellies. I love that more women today are embracing their preggo bodies :) I always think a preggo belly is a picture of some sort of miracle on Earth :)

MissyAg94
01-30-2007, 10:17 PM
I had prof. photos done and am saving them for my DD. My DH insisted that I do it though I really didn't want to. I am so glad that I have them!

TraciG
01-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow they are really beautiful pictures, that's so nice that you're close with your SIL !

new_mommy25
01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I had them done with DD. My good friend is a photographer and she did them as a gift for me. I haven't done anything with them. They are all on disk still. I think I would like to frame one or two. It's on the list along with a million other things :) . http://www.windwardskies.com/studio/rasor040306/

I would get them done. I really regret not having them done when I was pregnant with DS. It was my first pregnancy and there are hardly any photos of me.