PDA

View Full Version : Did you find out the gender of your second baby?

fattytuna
01-29-2007, 11:30 PM
We did the first time with DD, but this time around DH thinks it might be fun to wait and have the OB call out "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!". On top of that he thinks it's fun to torture his mother :) With DD, we called her right after we found out to ask her if she wanted to know. She said no. One minute later the phone ran and she said she changed her mind and wanted to know :)

Oh yeah, and DH and I have to agree on what to do. DH said he can read me like a book, so if I find out and he doesn't, he can tell by just looking at me, at least that's what he thinks.

ETA: I ended up letting DH talk me into not finding out. After the u/s DH was looking the print-out. The technician asked me if he's the one not wanting to find out. I said yes. She said yeah, figures - it's always the one that says they don't want to find out end up sitting there studying the pictures trying to figure out what it is.

lizajane
01-29-2007, 11:33 PM
i HAD to know if i would still need all the boy stuff. if we have a third (dh says um, no!) i might wait. unless my sister also has a boy. then i might have to find out.

Lovingliv
01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
"I" didn't find out.....but DH wanted to know,,,so I left the room and the doc told him. With our first, I wouldn't tell anyone on the phone, they all had to come to the hospital to find out :)

buddyleebaby
01-29-2007, 11:40 PM
No.

I love surprises!

C99
01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Did with the second, didn't with the first or third.

c914
01-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Didn't find out with #1. And still have plenty of gender neutral infant clothing to go around for #2 in a couple of months here. We like to leave some things a mystery around here.

Nooknookmom
01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
We had to know, lol. I believe after an 11 year span between kiddo's, that this little girl will be our last. So I couldn't stand the suspense!

spanannie
01-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Yes, I'm the type that has to know. I will find out again, if I have a 3rd.

kali
01-30-2007, 03:43 AM
>No.
>I love surprises!

Okay, here's my chance to ask: Isn't it a surprise *whenever* you find out?

In all sincerity, I've really never understood the whole wanting it "to be a surprise" thing. We wanted to know the sex as soon as possible for DC1, and it won't be any different with #2.

Kali,
Mom to Sammy, born 7/16/04

MayB
01-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Both DH and I knew with the first; he knew and I didn't with the second. I'm very happy that I waited and found out "the old fashioned way". I actually teared up when my OB said, "it's a girl".

KrisM
01-30-2007, 07:25 AM
We didn't find out either time. DH announced it each time, which I thought was fun.

KrisM
01-30-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree about the surprise whenever thing. I liked having DH tell me, rather than just some U/S tech. Seems more personal and memorable that way, but that's us.

We have considered finding out if we have a #3, just so we can get rid of half the clothes! But, then DH says, why would it really matter to wait another few months to get rid of stuff. We'll see.

candybomiller
01-30-2007, 08:05 AM
For the first, I knew and dh didn't. For this one, we will both find out at the ultrasound. I can't wait!

ribbit1019
01-30-2007, 08:12 AM
First one no, second one yes.

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

o_mom
01-30-2007, 08:14 AM
We haven't found out with any of them. The first time DH was the one to make the call. The second time I did. The OB and nurses were actually very careful NOT to say anything and let us find out for ourselves.

ETA: It is way more fun not knowing so when all those people ask "Do you know what you are having?" You can say "Well, they doctor says it's a baby, but we are still holding out for puppies!"

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2007, 08:43 AM
No Way!! It is way too fun not to know and helps the end go a little faster as you can keep guessing. We had a boy and girl name picked out baby got called both of them (as one continuous name).

Since it would be a #2 it would of course be handy to know so I could start getting rid of the multiple containers of clothes if the sex isn't the same. But, I can do that after the baby is born.

I am sure ds would want to know what he is having but he will just have to wait. :)

Beth

MegND95
01-30-2007, 08:48 AM
We did find out with our first and I was glad at the time. When I got pg with #2, we actually tried to find out, and he was uncooperative. I was crushed for about a day, and then we decided we were ok not knowing. When #3 came along, we were very certain we did not want to know, although it drove our family crazy. For us, the moment of "It's a boy!" following the birth was simply too amazing.

As for clothes and being prepared, it didn't matter much to me. We were given so many clothes following the birth of #2. And by the time #3 came along, we were covered for both genders.

pb&j
01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes, since our first pg ended in stillbirth, I definitely wanted to know gender ahead of time. I'm undecided about the next one, though.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

firstbaby
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
we didn't find out for either one. Yes, it is a "surprise" whenever you find out, but the moment when the doctor turned our babies over and called "It's a boy" and we could hear our baby crying was the most.moving.experience.i've.ever.had :)

FWIW, I was the one committed to not finding out with #1. DH wanted to know badly but went along with me. For #2, I told him it was his choice. He chose not to find out and said he wanted that moment again.

bcky2
01-30-2007, 09:24 AM
we did with the second one because dh was dying to know. i said that was fine as with #1 we didnt find out and it killed him not knowing. so we both got to have it our way for a pregnancy ;)

Wife_and_mommy
01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I haven't wanted to know the gender.
It was fun both times but I *loved* being surprised at the birth. It added another element of fun to the experience. It was also very moving to turn baby over and find out/show dh what we had.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/dBwAm5.png

Smiles81
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM
We didn't find out the first time, but did the second time.

Reena
Mom to Dovi and Huvi

Piglet
01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
DS1 was shy and wouldn't show us, so we didn't know. DS2 was the opposite and let the whole world see that he was a boy. This time they couldn't tell (and I even had 2 back to back U/S at 18 weeks and neither time was the baby cooperating). I asked to know each time and only found out 1 time, so don't assume that they can always tell you. With DS2 we still wanted to keep it a secret from everyone else, so we didn't tell anyone that we found out. Anyone that would ask me if I knew what I was told the same thing, "no, but it is a boy". They all assumed it was mother's intuition. I bought blue clothes under the theory that it was easier to dress a girl in blue than a boy in pink.

Having done it both ways, I really did like knowing. For starters, I never got the "tt's a boy" in the delivery room with DS1. The doctor somehow assumed I already knew and I clearly remember yelling down to him "what is it????" with the last bit of strength I had. Also, with #2, it was so nice to know if I could re-use all the stuff from #1 or not. I loved not having to do the frantic shopping spree in the first few weeks of being home with the baby. If I had known with #1, I still would have found myself running out for last minute items just because you can never be truly prepared for a first baby. With #2, I had all the things that we had forgotten to get #1 and was much happier in the knowledge that I could reuse them all.

There was a comedian on Last Comic Standing a few years ago (Gary something-or-other) and he did a great stand up bit about his sister not wanting to know until delivery. I was PG with #2 at the time and it really spoke to me. He compared the "surprise" of boy vs. girl to that of a coin toss. No one is all that surprised when the coin lands on tails. Same thing with a baby - it would be a surprise if the doctor yelled out, "congrats, it's a chicken", but boy or girl just doesn't qualify as a surprise!

HIU8
01-30-2007, 11:38 AM
DH and I both wanted to know the first time with DS and the second time-which will be a DD in June. Although, I have to say, I knew well in advance with DS (I just knew it) and I also knew almost from the beginning with this PG. I even made a bet with my DH and won both times. We both felt that it would be a surprise to find out at the ultrasound as much as it would have been a surprise at the hospital. Plus, with DS we lived with family while our house was being gutted and renovated. This time, family is gone--divorced, sold the house etc... and I will have no help to run out and get the things I need.

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD EDD 6/22/07

Corie
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
We didn't find out the gender for either of our children. And, it was the best surprises
that we could have!! I loved waiting until the delivery room to find out!! :)

jbowman
01-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes, we found out at 20 weeks both times. If I'm going to be preggo for 40 weeks (or more, as was the case with my first child), then I deserve a surprise halfway through! ;)

SpaceGal
01-30-2007, 07:16 PM
With DS we didn't find out...a lot of his baby clothes for year one are gender neutral not to say he doesn't have boy stuff but he just had a ton of clothes in general.

With DC#2 we both went into the sonogram not wanting to know...but then left wanting to know. Then when we went to ask the tech about it...she left for lunch. Of course she doesn't remember and they don't write it down. It's been kind of a bummer not knowing now that we want to know. What's funny is I had so many sonos with DS but with DC #2 just one so far...it's left me in suspense. He/she will have a lot of gender neutral things to wear early on but it would be nice to have some new boy or girl things for him/her.

Oh well so much for finding out. I have 6 more weeks to go...and I doubt I will find out at this point. And I don't want to schedule a sono just to find out...I guess there's some reason we won't find out...but it's not bad to be surprised.

It will just be harder to shop for him/her after the arrival.

maestramommy
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes, we did. I wanted to on the grounds that it would be practical, although I don't know why. A lot of Dora's newborn stuff is gender neutral, with the exception of a couple of nightgowns. And dd2 will be born at the beginning of summer, so she will be in onesies most of the time anyway. I think it was also partly because this pregnancy was feeling so different I was thinking we might be having a boy, so I kinda wanted to know. Besides, I didn't need to be surprised at delivery. Finding out I was pregnant was surprise enough :-).