PDA

View Full Version : Update- question about new wood bed?

marchmommy
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Update to this: My DH and I finally bought a bedroom set: bed, dressers, nightstands, all wooden and supposedly handmade--and expensive, for us. We've had the bed less than a week and two nights ago we felt the bed was breaking. We looked underneath it and these little metal posts were bending-my DH had to lift off the mattresses and put the metal bars back together. I was surprised that underneath, the part that the mattresses lie on, is just some strips of metal--I thought it would be solid wood, or beams of wood; the rest of the set is wood. Is this unusual or standard??? It looks like the bottom of the basic box spring set we've been using for years (that supports the mattresses).

Edited to make clear that store is proposing to purchase the slats from Home Depot: The update: the bed collapsed a second time--in the one week we've owned it. The salesperson/design person came to the house and looked at the bed and said the wooden slats are missing, were never installed. The metal strips that are there shouldn't even be there, and we're missing the wood slats. So he's proposed that he will go to Home Depot to get wood slats/beams from Home Depot, made of oak, and will have workmen install them, and guarantees this will be as strong as getting the actual slats from the manufacturer. Should I insist on the manufacturers' slats? On a new bed? Or agree to the Home Depot slats? He doesn't know where the original slats are-says the delivery people screwed up in putting it together...Advice? This is an established store, a chain with several stores locally (Chicago-area)

bostonsmama
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
We bought a very expensive solid wood bedroom set from Kincaid, and in our sleigh bed, the two center support beams are steel (like would be on a metal bed frame) because unlike wood, steel does not contract and bend with reasonable humidity, pressure and temperature changes. Our headboard and footboard are solid wood, as are the side rails that hook into (aren't bolted, just latched--to allow for movement) the head and footboards, but the center (horizontal to head/footboards) support beams are steel. Trust me, I don't think you'd want wooden supports...your mattress would be sagging in no time. It might even void your mattress warranty if you took it out.

Rereading your post I'm kind of surprised there aren't feet on the metal strip(s). Our bed has two centrally positioned solid/strong metal support bars (at 1/3 intervals). I think I'd be upset if my $$$ bed has little strips of metal with no feet to lift them off the floor and prevent the center of the mattress from sagging. If they have feet, then everything should be fine. Most of the time, the bed kit comes with screws in which you can screw down the metal center supports into the wooden side rails of the bed to prevent them from moving. You might also want to make sure if the center metal support is adjustable (sometimes manufacturers use the same center support for both kings and queens AND fulls), that the connections are locked into place and the feet screwed down to fully touch the floor.

Let me know if any of that helps.

marchmommy
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your reply--I'm going to check under the bed again--it sounds like that's what we have-maybe they weren't screwed in or positioned right. Thanks.

tny915
01-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, make sure you have feet to support the metal posts. We bought a wooden, good quality bed a few years back that was delivered without the posts to support it and missing a few other screws. I don't know if it was the fault of the manufacturer, the store, or the delivery people. Without the center support post, our boxspring was not secure. We complained and the delivery folks came back to install the center support.

luvmypeanut
02-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I would insist the salesman make it right. If he doesn't know where the slats are, then he needs to find out. Locate the original ones or have the manufacturer send you news ones. Telling you to go to Home Depot may mean that he doesn't want to be bothered to make the phone calls and see this through.

Sorry you had problems and I hope you get them resolved.

Marisa6826
02-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I would call the store back and tell them that you want a new bed. It's not your problem that the delivery people were inept. If they hassle you, I suggest calling your credit card company to lodge a complaint against the business.

In fact, when you call the store, and speak with the manager (not the sales guy), tell them that you will give them 48 hours to make it right, otherwise you will be contacting your credit card company and will suspend payment.

Keep us posted.

-m

marchmommy
02-16-2007, 08:01 AM
To make it clear-the salesperson said he will go to Home Depot and get the slats and have them installed and says this will be even better than getting them from the manufacturer, he said, "I guarantee it"...My mom said I should get it all in writing (the guarantee). But should I insist on the original slats? A new bed? He came on Wed to see the bed and is supposed to come today with the oak slats.....

marchmommy
02-16-2007, 08:07 AM
To make clear--he said he would go to Home Depot...But I'm still wondering if I should insist on something different (I tried to say I want the original slats, but he said, "I guarantee this will be better than the original slats"...) BUt he doesn't know where the original slats are...

marchmommy
02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh, and I paid cash to get a 10 percent discount so they have all the money already...

roysmom
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Even if you paid with cash, you could still log a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. We have wooden slats under a completely oak bedroom suit. It was very expensive and the OAK slats work great. They are extremely thick. I would not take the one's from Home Depot, as that may void your warranty later. I would insist that the salesperson find your slats or get new ones from the manufacturer. You don't anticipate ever using the warranty, but you just never know. Besides, what happens if that salesperson gets fired or leaves. Where does that leave you later on? We have the oak slats and the metal braces that come down to the floor. I think you would probably need both if your bed is a King or Queen.

DebbieJ
02-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Get a new bed.

What store is it?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

spu
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I'd get a new bed too.

susan

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
nursed for 3 years!
http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/superpower.gif

charlotte + else
+ cashew!

http://bd.lilypie.com/u2jym5.png
http://b4.lilypie.com/Bmr5m5.png

marchmommy
02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Another update: I asked for a new bed. Instead, the salesperson/design person came today and had a workman install the wood slats which I think were from Home Depot--they are made of poplar, which he assured me is as strong as oak. On the phone he said he would give me something in paper guaranteeing this for life. With my two kids jumping around and then the arrival of my mother-in-law, I forgot to ask for this (they also came late, at 5 pm). They installed the wood slats--about 3-4 of them going across, and attached them to the wood rails (Screwed or hammered them in) and took away the metal rails it was originally installed with. He said on the phone that if I'm unhappy, I'll get a new bed. Does anyone know if poplar is the wrong wood-is not as strong as oak? Anything else seem fishy to you? Or I guess I can see if the bed collapses in the next few days.....