PDA

View Full Version : What are some interesting or weird things you do to save money?

BargainMomforLuke
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Just curious if anyone has any quirky ways to save some money.

Here's one that I do that I think drives DH a little nuts. But it saves money & is so effective, so I don't care!

Instead of putting a night-time diaper on DS, I take a super maxi and put it on the inside top of the diaper and it keeps him dry all night. I am constantly getting free maxis from Walgreens or CVS and I don't use them. We were buying night-time diapers and they would still leak and cost about 30 cents a diaper. The regular diapers I get for him cost around 15 cents. So I figure I'll save about $55 in a year with this method and it keeps DS dry all night.

I also buy expensive face cream, but it's a little too rich & thick, so I mix it with a light Neutrogena face cream and it lasts so much longer and is the perfect mix for my skin.

Natalie

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-30-2007, 09:58 AM
How do you get free maxi pads? Just curious.
When I use a swiffer sheet I flip it over and use the other side.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

JBaxter
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I buy the microfiber towels from the auto dept at walmart and wash and reuse on my swifter.

Piglet
01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I just asked this question on Butts, so please forgive the hijack... how do you use the maxi in the diaper? Do you just lay it along the top? Do you fold it in half and then put it in the top? Do you stick it? So many questions!

I am dying to know - we have had a long stretch if wet nights and I can't fin overnight diapers around here :(

BargainMomforLuke
01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
It seems like Walgreens has a rebate every other month for maxis. If you spend $10/you get a $10 gift card or $10 back by rebate. They will have them on sale 2 packs/$10 during that month. I also use two coupons and so they pay me a couple of bucks for the maxis. Then I just use those gift cards over and over on free stuff.

CVS also offers a similar deal, though you have to go back 2 days later and a coupon will print off for the purchase price. It's a little bit of a hassle, but if I'm already in the store, it's not a big deal.

Also, I've gotten maxis at Winn Dixie that were clearanced out and then used coupons and got them for free.

My bathroom closet is brimming over with free maxis.

I have also donated the maxis in the past to a battered womens' shelter, as they really need stuff like womens' products. I'll continue to do that after DS is out of diapers.

BargainMomforLuke
01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Picture the diaper opened up, as if you are going to put it on DC. I stick it on the inner part of the top (maxi pad against his belly button horizontally...goes from tab to tab in the inside). That's where the diapers have always leaked for me.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I can always take a picture of my method if you need it!

Natalie

bostonsmama
01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm a water miser, so in the morning I'll fill my empty oatmeal bowl with water to soak, and later that day when I want to rinse out a can to put in the recycle bin, I'll use the water from the oatmeal bowl (or other soaking dishes) to rinse out the can.

If I have to run the water until it's hot, I'll put a gallon jug under the faucet and empty it into my garden. Excessive water use literally makes my heart hurt and boils my BP.

To save pennies of eletricity, my DH will manually open our garage door instead of using the button on the wall (drives me nuts). I also keep the heat at 66 degrees and wear heavy slippers and 2 sweaters around the house to stay warm so I don't have to up the thermostat. I also hang out mostly upstairs when I'm home b/c our downstairs is 5-7 degrees cooler than our upstairs.

BTW, I did the same pad/diaper trick w/ my granddad. He didn't soil himself at night, so it seemed like a wasted diaper change (and Depends are sooo expensive at nearly $1 each), so we put Poise pads inside the Depends and changed that in the AM.

wencit
01-30-2007, 11:02 AM
- I reuse my Ziploc bags. Sometimes I even wash them, let them dry, and reuse again.

- I also reuse aluminum foil and cling wrap, if they haven't been dirtied too much.

- I reuse some food containers, like coffee cans, mayonnaise jars, Cool Whip containers. Lately, my mom has even reused some of DS's empty baby food jars.

- I don't use designated kitchen/bathroom trash bags. I use those plastic grocery bags.

- When DH or I have a cold, we blow our noses in toilet paper, rather than Kleenex, because the former is more expensive than the latter.

dules
01-30-2007, 11:18 AM
When making lasagne or a big pot of spaghetti, I'll use a small jar of the "good" sauce and a bigger jar of store brand, or else a can of tomato sauce with a few spices/garlic tossed in.

We make lots of soup from leftovers. A little leftover canned chopped tomato, a potato, carrot, fresh dill, a handful of barley and a little broth and we've got dinner from ingredients that, alone, I might have thrown away. :)

Mary

lovin2shop
01-30-2007, 11:37 AM
The gallon jug idea is great, Larissa. I have to leave the water running for several minutes to get hot water in my bathroom. I probably need a couple gallons though. It drives me nuts, I hate wasting that water, but I also cannot handle washing my face with cold water!

missym
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm becoming a slightly-obsessive couponer. I have a 3-ring binder with baseball card/photo inserts to organize them all, and I really try to "shop the sales" so that I can double up on savings. I LOVE it when I manage to get free stuff that we would buy anyway.

I also take advantage of the Free After Rebate stuff from Walgreens/CVS. Like the PP, if it's something I don't use, I donate it to one of our local shelters. They always need toiletries.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **

maestramommy
01-30-2007, 02:23 PM
We reuse practically every container we can. Jars, boxes, shopping bags, ziploc bags. Boxes we use for mailing and whenever we need the cardboard. Jars we use to store sugar, coffee, random objects, shopping bags for trash and recycling, ziploc bags just get used over and over. deli containers get used for leftovers, paper from Dh's office we use to print stuff that's just for us, T-shirts for rags, etc.

karolyp
01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Same here!!! Although I don't put them in a three ring binder, but a small accordian style folder thingy instead. :) I love it when I can use a coupon, with a store coupon, with a sale, and (if I'm really lucky) a rebate - score!!! And if I get some really stellar coupons in the mail that I'm not gonna use - I'll put it up for sale on e-bay. One time I got a 10% off coupon from Crate and Barrel and it sold for $51 on ebay!!! Plus I try to never pay full retail on anything if I can manage it.

I'll reuse plastic bags and ziplock baggies too. I've also replaced the swiffer refills with microfiber cloths, and my kitchen/bathroom/window cleaners with vinegar and water.

I also don't use as much laundry soap in the washer as what's recommended on the bottle. And I'll put water in the empty soap/shampoo/conditioner bottles so I can squeeze out the last few drops lol!

And lastly, I'll ask the doctor for samples of medication vs getting an RX. All my prenatal vitamins have been samples during the pregnancy and that right there will save me over $250 in Rx co-pays!!!

o_mom
01-30-2007, 03:34 PM
In case anyone else is looking to save on pre-natals, most OTC prenatals are just fine. Ask your OB, but mine looked at it and suggested I add a folic acid tablet, but that was it. Around $10 for 200 tablets at Target and another $5 for the folic acid. $15 for the whole deal - much cheaper than $10+ per month for copays.

jgriffin
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
We keep our thermostat really low, too. During the day when I am home alone I don't turn it on at all, so it dips to about 60-62F inside. I drink a lot of tea and wear sweaters. :)

Here's one DH doesn't know about (maybe TMI for here, too, I apologize in advance!) I frequently don't flush when I pee at home, and usually don't turn the light on either. Kinda gross, but I figure I'm peeing a bazillion times a day anyway, and it's just me. I doubt it has much of an impact on our utility bills, but it makes me feel better.

dontdoit
01-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know how to save money on a gas bill? This is the first time we have ever had gas in a home and our bill was $250 last month. I try not to use the heat until night time which I keep at 65 degrees.
I also do not flush the toilet during the day when I pee(when DH isn't home)-I don't know if it helps save money or not.
I buy coupons on Ebay. I've been getting Cascadian Farms cereal(the Clifford cereal) for $1.50, with my coupons and it being on sale.
I also shop the end caps in Target before I even walk down the aisles. Most of the time, I'll find my toiletries on clearance(plus use coupons).
Most of my children's clothes have been hand-me-downs from other kids. I go to garage sales for most household items or clothes.
Also, I shop at Gap and have managed to find shirts for $1.97, jeans for $4.97, blazers for $4.97, and sweaters for $1.97. This is the regular Gap too, not the outlet. Plus, I have a Gapcard which I use everytime i buy, because you get $10 back with every $200 you spend. And I'm sure to pay the balance off every month(if there is a balance)because the interest rate is super high on that card.

daisy1234
01-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I recently have become more frugal although I have expensive tastes! Go figure! :)

These are my little secrets:

1. Heat at 65
2. Trying to use less of every thing and teaching ds and DD that they don't need half a roll of TP when going potty!!!
3. Only buying necessities!!! This is hard I find the less I am in the mall or target...the better! :)
4. I shop for the cheapest diapers that work and try to aim for 10-14 cents per diaper!
5. I shop garage sales for the kids clothes! I have gotton Gap, Gymbo, hanna for around .50 cents each! yes a hanna play dress and matching leggings...1.25!!! Of couse I supplement at the sale racks! My kids are dressed great and it is amazing how good they look and how little I spend!
6. I avoid prepacked snacks as much as possible....They seem so expensive especially when you consider the price per calorie and sometimes the very little bit of nutrition you get.
7. I gave up my Sams club member ship...happy to say that I am saving by not spending there!!!!
8. Shoebuy, payless and kmart for the kids shoes!
9. CVS for makeup...so cheap with there sales and coupons!
10. Roasted chicken...love how I can get 3 meals out of one chicken!!!! ANd we love chicken soup!

bostonsmama
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
So crude, but my DH laughs when he says it:
If it's yellow, let it mellow.
When it's brown, flush it down.

Bawhahahaaha

I have to pee at least twice before I'll flush. Again...total water miser. But then again I'm home much of the day.

Another home water saving tip: shower at the gym! Since I started working out, our water bill has been cut by 20%.

TracyBee
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Something we've recently begun is putting everything into a high yield savings account (we use GMAC Bank). We put almost all of both our paychecks in there. We mantain a free checking account which we have scheduled all of our auto-draft payments to come out of on the same day. Once a month (the day before our auto-drafts come out) we have our GMAC bank account automatically deposit enough to cover those autodrafts. This way you are earning the most interest possible down to the very last day. GMAC bank has check writing and debit card availability which makes it convenient to easily access the money should we need to.

We also shop for just about all of our grocerie at Aldi. If you haven't been there, its a penny pinchers dream come true.

newnana
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh, I do this as well. DH also doesn't know. He does know that I don't flush in the middle of the night because our bathroom is in the hallway right next to DD's room. He hates it, but has come to do the same thing.

I'm a reuser of containers, coupon clipper, only clearance shopper. I love resale stores. All of this drives DH batty b/c he says we make enough money to not have to worry about that stuff. I say that there are many positives of this:
better for the environment
better for our retirement :)
allows us to spend money on the big things without having to worry
teaches DD so many things that I don't even have to name to you ladies which is one of the many reasons I luv ya!
Michelle

shilo
01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
another washer and reuser of ziploc's here, especially the freezer bags that i keep DS's food in. i figure, it's been in the freezer, how grungy can it be :). i think it drives DH a little crazy sometimes to have the drying ziplocs turned inside out taking up space in the dish drying rack tho.

i keep hotel samples for my gym bag, especially the lotion.

i'm kinda brand loyal on things like soap, laundry detergent, diapers, toilet paper, etc. so i always look for our staples, every time i'm in a store. if our TP happens to be on a really good sale that week, well then, i buy 4 twelve packs. i think we have about 6 glide dental flosses under the sink right now because i found them on 2 for 1 at target last week and those puppy's are expensive full price. it makes for some interesting storage dilemma's sometimes, but hey, i ain't paying full price for that stuff :).

i have my good shoes resoled at the cobblers rather than buying new ones - it's about a fifth of the cost. when you invest in good leather and timeless styles, there's no reason not to get the most of them. drives my sister nuts when she sees me in the same shoes year after year, but oh well!

that's all the 'wierd'/maybe less common ones i can think of right now. the rest are the normal things like coupons and children's re-sale shops, etc. oh and hanging out with all of you looking for bargains :).
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

o_mom
01-30-2007, 08:12 PM
I add to packaged mixes we buy. I know we should buy less packaged stuff, but it isn't going to happen 100% of the time.

For example if we have the boxed mac&cheese, I add an extra 1/2-1 c macaroni (usually whole wheat) to it when cooking the pasta. There is always plenty of cheese sauce even with the extra macaroni in there.

For Uncle Bens' Wild rice mix I add a half cup white rice and 1 cup water. It usually makes enough for all of us with leftovers. One box is usually barely enough, so this way we always have enough without making two boxes.

elliput
01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
When I was using dryer sheets, I would cut them in half. Now I use dryer balls instead.

I eliminated most of our paper towel use by making bread clothes to wrap my morning bagel in, using old towels and washclothes for cleaning, and investing in some microfiber shop towels.

I only get my hair cut once a year, and DH mans the sissors.

We don't subscribe to any newspapers, and only 3-4 magazines.

I pour half of a bottle of the anti-bacterial gel soap from BBW into an empty bottle and top off both with water, and then never use more than half a pump.

karolyp
01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Just curious - how do you like those dryer balls? I've been thinking of getting some and was wondering if they are just as good (or even better) than the sheets.

elliput
01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I have some items (polyester/acrylic sweaters) that are a bit more staticky just out of the dryer than before, but overall I love 'em.

C99
01-30-2007, 10:16 PM
We only have 1 cell phone between us. It drives everyone else nuts, but it works just fine for us. I keep it most of the time, and DH takes it when he travels.

Our bank gives us incentives to "pay by credit" when using our debit card, so we do that. We get about $12/month this way.

I use vinegar, bleach and hot water for 95% of my cleaning tasks. It's better for us, and it's way cheaper than buying most commercially available cleansers.

I shop at Trader Joe's instead of my local chain grocery stores. It really has cut down on our grocery bills, and the quality is so much better IMO.

We eat vegetarian about 80% of the time.

Globetrotter
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
OMG

I do every single one of these things. Scary LOL

ETA: For me, it's all about recycling and conservation of resources.

Kris

bisous
01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I had to reply to this one! I do many of the things that PP mentioned: keeping the thermostat low, reusing plastic bags and containers, etc. But here are three I haven't seen yet.

I buy the cheapest lipstick I can find. Last time I bought two colors for a total of 98 cents from Target. One of the colors wasn't great but for 49 cents who cares?

I like using Olay facial cleansing cloths but find them to be a bit expensive. So I buy them from Costco AND cut them into fourths. I find they remove my eye makeup easily and effectively but I definitely don't need the whole sheet.

Finally, I have saved SO much money by buying a book called "How to Simply Highlight Hair" and teaching my little sister to highlight mine. I have really long, naturally blonde hair that I am somewhat obsessed with. When DH and I started back in school the one thing I didn't want to give up was my bi-monthly partial weave that costs about $100 a pop. (Which believe it or not is really inexpensive in my area.) By having sis do my hair I save about $96 every two months, hurrah!

miki
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Every time I buy something at the market that I don't like, I complain about it. If it's produce, I'll take it back because the market I go to has a policy of refunding double what you paid if the produce is no good. If it's a manufactured product, I send email to the company and I have always gotten coupons for freebies or discounts that I can get doubled at the market that more than make up for what I spent in the first place.

MarisaSF
01-31-2007, 01:03 AM
I check Craigslist and Freecycle almost daily for good deals. I really don't buy anything new until I see if I can get similar quality used and cheaper.

I sell our things when we no longer need them too. I've found that if I buy used and sell it in similarly used condition, I don't lose much money (if anything) in the deal!

It's a great way to "test" products. I bought a used stroller on CL for $100 once. Used it for 2 weeks and didn't like it for my needs. Sold it to another for $100.

kijip
01-31-2007, 02:48 AM
I mix a nice facial toner with witch hazel, the main ingredient in facial toners.

I get my shoes resoled and my clothes altered or fixed rather than buy new ones, even if the cost of the repair is signigant compared to the cost of new clothes on sale. I hate replacing stuff.

My apartment is freezing to all others but my little family. When we have guests I have to remind myself to crank it a little so my friends don't leave with frozen toes. :) It pays off though. The average heat bill for my complex is like $80 a month during the winter. Mine is like $21.

I always buy quality when it counts to avoid having to buy it again. Rather get the nicest necessity and use it for years than get a cheap set and then have to replace it several times.

This is an obsessive compulsive thing that needs to stop, but it does save money: I talk myself out of buying things that I not only can afford, but that I also actually need. Little things like socks and big things like new tires. I wait a really long time before buying something.

I don't pay interest on anything. If I don't have the cash, I don't need it. This will change when we buy a house (no interest free mortgages!) but that is a long term asset where the benefits far outweigh the debt involved.

emily_gracesmama
01-31-2007, 08:19 AM
The dollar store pregnancy tests are really just $1 dollar per test and they work, well, that is they have always shown up positive when I've been pregnant. I can't imagine spending the $16 for two tests that you get at the drugstore ever again!

clc053103
01-31-2007, 09:16 AM
The dollar store pregnancy tests are actually supersensitive- at least, the ones at Dollar Tree are. I used them when people on fertility friend recommended them.

The only thing I've come up with that drives DH nuts is that I wash sponges in the dishwasher rather than replace. It disinfects them!

newnana
01-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Sorry, had to hijack. I used to talk myself out of every purchase. There is one that I don't anymore that you specifically mentioned: tires! In my mind I'm a well trained driver that is safe and racing tires are completely bald. Then DH and I were driving and some other idiot lost control of his car in the rain (not an idiot, it happens to the best of us, but that's my rationalization). With DD in the backseat, the price of new tires for saftey seems paltry. I get new tires as soon as I can see Abe:
Just put your thumb on Abe's face on a penny and stick the coin head down into the tire's tread. If you can see all of his head above the tread; you got it - you're overdue for a new tire.
Michelle

o_mom
01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Another one I do is to buy generic Bran Flakes when they are on sale ($1.29 or less for a big box) then add my own raisins. Much cheaper than Raisin Bran, even with a coupon.

BargainMomforLuke
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Microwaving the sponges for a minute works great to kill the germs, too.

gina
01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Where do you all find your coupons? I can't see spending $10 on the sunday paper just to get coupons. I don't read the paper anyway. Besides half the time when I get to the store the store brand is cheaper than the name brand WITH the coupon. So many times I will just buy the store brand. Most of the time it is just as good if not better.

I end up only using coupons on things that are my favorites.

Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 11 mo Olivia

o_mom
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Your Sunday paper is $10!!! Yikes! It is $1.50 here, so usually with one or two coupons per week it pays for itself.

Most of the coupons we use are for things like cleaners or toothpaste. Others are used in tandem with a store sale or stuff that doesn't have a store brand. For example, DH likes his "chocolate frosted sugar bombs" as I call them (not really, but 'fancy' cereals that don't have a store brand). We will wait for the sale and then use coupons with the sale and it isn't any more than the store brand and sometimes less.

Do you have a friend or neighbor that could save the coupon section for you? Let them cut out what they want and then you can have the leftovers

missym
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
You can also find coupons posted for sale on ebay. I do this periodically if there is a good coupon for one of our staple items - usually they are sold in lots of 10 or 20.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss issues with other Conservative parents? Join us at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBConservatives/join **

gina
01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Sorry I guess that did sound like alot. I just remember we used to get the sunday paper delivered and it seemed like it was around $10 but I guess that was per month. Since we don't read it, it just seems like a waste of money just for coupons considering I end up not using half of them anyway.
Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 11 mo Olivia

o_mom
01-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Ok, monthly sounds more like it! :-)

I read the paper every day if I can, so I would be getting it anyway. I would look for someone to get them from - most people are happy to get rid of it as they are just chucking it in the recycle bin anyway. You could always just go trash picking on recycle day. ;-)

DrSally
01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Good idea, unfortunately, mine is usually so filled with chunks by the time I change it, I don't know if that would work for me, lol!

rlu
01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
>So crude, but my DH laughs when he says it:
>If it's yellow, let it mellow.
>When it's brown, flush it down.

CA native here - in drought this was a saying I heard often - my neighbor had it posted over her toilet.

We don't flush when DS is sleeping - plus DH and I use separate bathrooms so saving water is up to each of us comfort level.

We use the water from the "running to get hot water hot" bucket to flush. If I'm really feeling water-wasteful I'll wash my face in the kitchen sink since that water heats up faster than the bathroom does.

We use the water from installing new brita filter to water plants (this really isn't that much but I grew up with drought precautions)

Same idea with the water to soak dishes - I move it from dish to dish in the sink over the day.

We reuse the baby food containers (glass and plastic) and especially the puffs/stars containers since they are sturdy sides and tall enough to hold straws, used batteries (can't throw in garbage here), on-the-go snacks like kix, cheerios, etc.

DrSally
01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Speaking of newspapers, I love the NY times, but only get it on weekends b/c those papers are usually packed, they have the coupons, and it takes me a whole week to make it through the weekend papers anyway. During the week, I read the electronic version. Buy most clothes at the end of the season since my style doesn't change much (size is another matter). Use generics for things where the generic os comparable--like dove soap, certain foods, dishwasher detergent, etc., but that can be trial and error. Gosh, I'm sure there are more, but it's been fun reading other's ideas.

karolyp
01-31-2007, 02:47 PM
I have my Sunday paper delivered and it's $.75 or about $3 a month. One good coupon a week covers the price of the paper for me, so I'm happy!

I've also bought coupons off of these sites:
http://www.thecouponclippers.com/coupons/home.php

http://www.earlybirdcoupons.com/UltraCart/faq.asp

But I have to say, I really like couponing and have learned a ton about it from the grocery game.com just by reading their boards and not signing up for it. I've gotten brand names for pennies on the dollar, and sometimes even for free, or even gotten $ back in my pocket after a rebate!

Other ways I save $ is I don't get manicures or pedicures (although I would really like too). And I don't color my hair and only cut it 2-3x a year! It drives my stylist crazy, but it works for me!

alleyoop
01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
We groom our own dog! I know, doesn't sound like much, except that she is a standard poodle and it costs $70-$80 every 6 weeks! We have it down to 1.5 hours. I wash and brush out, DH does the grunt work and I finish up with the pom-pom head, ears and tail. Most people can't even tell. Silly, I know.

gina
01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
thanks for the info. I also stopped highlighting my hair and getting it cut at the expensive salon when I got pregnant. I only got it done every 3 mos but I figured at least that saves abt $500 a yr
Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 11 mo Olivia

JulieL
02-15-2007, 08:52 PM
My BIL's SO is a science major going into forensics and she told my inlaws about the bacterias you can find in reusing bottled water - apparently some nasty stuff. My family has been throwing these into the dishwasher for years (including us), well come to find out it's not a great idea. The plastic can wear down, and some items are truly made for one time useage. Here's a good article on it. Though I'd reuse food containers for nonfood items.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/qandatemp.php?id=Q115

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jan/31/some_packaging_containers_unsafe_cooking/

...was looking up cleaning info and this post came up.

kransden
02-15-2007, 09:13 PM
The water jug is a great idea!!!! I just moved to Phoenix and I HATE the fact I am living in the desert and am watching water just get washed down the drain. That would be such a practical solution, and something I could easily do. So pat yourself on the back for helping save the enviroment a little today.

Thanks!
Karin and Katie 10/24/02