PDA

View Full Version : Fever & can't keep Motrin down

psophia17
01-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Nathan has his first stomach bug ever, I think, and he isn't keeping down the motrin I've given him. His fever is 101.7, and it took about 10 minutes for the motrin to come back up.

Any ideas on how to make him feel better? Being draped on me is the only thing he's interested in trying...

I'm pushing fluids, but no food yet...

candybomiller
01-30-2007, 11:36 AM
I know they make Motrin suppositories if it gets really desperate. I don't really have any good advice other than that though. Sorry Petra. I hope Nathan feels better soon and that this isn't passed on to little bro.

pb&j
01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry Nathan's under the weather! :(

Sometimes all you can do is keep offering food and fluids. If he's being clingy, just let him cling as much as you can.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

karolyp
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Hugs P - I would suggest the suppositories too if his fever keeps climbing up. Tylenol makes them too.

sdoyle
01-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I would try tylenol suppositories if nothing is staying down. They work pretty well and then you at least know they are getting the medicine. Keep your chin up! Here's hoping DS has a better day tomottow.

Stacy

Radosti
01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Aaron sometimes can't keep Motrin down when he is not feeling well, but has no problem with oral tylenol. The doctor always tells me that Motrin is much rougher on their tummies than tylenol although it works better. So, it's a trade-off. First you get the tylenol into him to knowck the fever down. Then, in 3.5 hours, before Tylenol wears off, give motrin.

elephantmeg
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
try motrin drops (instead of children's elixer) if you haven't tried them already (need less, they're more concentrated). If they keep meds down for 15 min we consider the dose in. Tylenol can also be easier on the stomach...

lisams
01-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Motrin can be hard on an irritated tummy, try Tylenol. I hope he's feeling better soon!

caleymama
01-30-2007, 06:48 PM
No advice other than what PPs have already mentioned. Just wanted to say that I hope he's feeling better soon. Stomach bugs are the worst!

hardysmom
01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Hardy had terrible fevers as a baby/toddler-- they would go up to 105-106 about once every every 6-8 weeks.

Anyway, there were lots of late night pediatrician calls-- basically, here was the advice we were given--

If the fever climbs over 103, what you can do is to put him in a very warm tub. The water should be warmer than his usual bath since his "normal" water temp will feel very cold due to elevated body temp. Let him sit in the tub as the water cools to room temp.

His temp will probably go down, at least it always worked when Hardys temp was getting way up there.

Taks care. Stephanie

fortato
01-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Hugs Petra-
Try the tylenol.

I hope he feels better soon. We'll be thinking of you guys...

Kristen

bubbaray
01-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Call the BC Nurse Line @ 604-215-4700 and have his MSP #. Ask to speak to a pharmacist. They work 9pm to 5pm IIRC.

Also, that's *only* 38.7C. When DD#1 has been sick in the past, her doc and the docs @ Childrens weren't too worried about not treating a fever until it was over 39.5C (and that was when she was under 2, I think the magic number is a bit higher when they're older). So, you could probably just skip the Tylenol or Advil altogether at this point. Just focus on re-hydration. Pedialyte, 5mls every 15 min is what Children's has you do. DD#1's only flavor she'll drink is the orange.

I skip Advil/Motrin altogether if DD's stomach is touchy. I only give Tylenol if her fever is over 39.5C and she's kept down some fluids for an hour or so.

Good luck -- stomach bugs suck!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

writermama
01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about the fever unless it goes higher. My ped says not to treat (with meds) a fever under 102 unless the fever is making the child miserable. Non med options include a bath (as PP described) with or without epsom salts and cool compresses on the forehead and temples.

Good idea to stay away from food until his tummy settles.

hope he feels better soon.

psophia17
01-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, he kept half a dose of motrin down in early afternoon, and he kept a dose of tylenol down a few hours later - unfortunately his fever doesn't seem to be touched by the drugs, it has gone as high as 104.2, but hasn't been lower than 102 since this morning...

We're headed in to a walk-in clinic in a couple of hours (they had a 3-hour wait!). The whole family has been really sick over the past few weeks, including one cousin with strep...DH has a fever too, but isn't suffering as bad.

I'm a little worked up...hopefully tomorrow will bring a good update, instead of more of the same...

writermama
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about the fever unless it goes higher. My ped says not to treat (with meds) a fever under 102 unless the fever is making the child miserable. Non med options include a bath (as PP described) with or without epsom salts and cool compresses on the forehead and temples.

(If you're willing to try homeopathy, I had good results with belladona with DD's last fever -- it brought her fever down when using Tylenol and Motrin together had failed. I've always been skeptical before, but if it works on the placebo effect, who cares as long as it works.)

Good idea to stay away from food until his tummy settles.

hope he feels better soon.

elliput
01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Yikes! A 3 hour wait? I hope your DS doesn't have strep. It hurts a lot. :(

psophia17
01-30-2007, 09:12 PM
But waiting it out at home in the evening, knowing they're going to call you when it's time to head in, is better than waiting it out at the ER at 2am, right?

I hope it's not strep, too, but the only thing DS has to say about it is that his mouth hurts. Poor kid. :(

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I hope everything is OK! I hope everyone sleeps well and ds wakes up feeling better.

Ds had strep in Nov. and I expected a terrible night (night #2 after he started running fever and throat hurting- didn't know it was strep/ didn't go in) but he went to bed at 6:30pm and woke up at 9am. Wishing you that same luck!

Beth

Beth

megs4413
01-30-2007, 11:03 PM
hugs, P!

psophia17
01-31-2007, 12:15 AM
DS has a "puss-y left tonsil," and he started amoxicillin tonight. I just knew something was wrong!

Being outside helped his fever a lot, and right now he's passed out in bed. I went in to take his temp and he slept through it - but it's back down to 101.8, yay!

As a bonus, the doctor was incredibly good with kids, super-duper practical, and HOT!

caheinz
01-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Yikes!

Glad you got in, got an answer, and hopefully got something that will make him feel better soon!

And I'm certainly hoping he sleeps well the rest of the night!