PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust a pregnancy test taken 2 days before expected period

TraciG
01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
so I couldn't wait, I took a test yesterday & today , both negative, I REALLY thought I'd see 2 lines !! So should I just accept that my period will probably come or could it be to early for the test to work EVEN though you use it up to 4 day's before your expected period ?

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Bummer. :(

I was also so sure that I tested 2 days early and got a -.

I think you have to be really lucky to get those tests to work early even though they say they will.

You and I can form a support group. I have lost track of how many tests I have gone through in the past month. :) Needless to say I just bought a 3 pack of the cheapest tests I could find to ease my guilt on spending so much on them.

My dh already decided that I am + but who knows. All I know is that I am 21 or 14 days late now. Something's gotta give. I would love a beer or something if I am -!

Fingers crossed for you!

beth

jgriffin
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
If it came out positive I would probably trust it. Negative, I'd take it again in a couple of days. (Actually, I'd do one a few days later no matter what the results. :)) I know it's hard to wait, it's like the longest couple of days in the world, isn't it?

lisams
01-30-2007, 04:36 PM
It depends on when a fertilised egg implants and the sensitivity of the test (which brand did you use?). You still have a chance!!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Piglet
01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I would also say that a positive is a positive but a negative could still be a positive. Many women only start showing + days after the AF is due and it depends on the sensitivity of the test. With DS2, TTC took a lot longer than anticipated and I blew through PG tests like you wouldn't believe. I hated seeing the negative so I tried to hold off as long as possible to take the test (and always did it first pee of the day). Ironically, this time around, I just knew I was PG without having to take the test. I can't say what felt different, but I just knew. I was also SO much calmer about the whole thing - for example, I wasn't even tempted to take an HPT until I was 3 days late. Last time I would have been jumping out of my skin 2 days early! I really preferred TTC#3 so much more than I did TTC#2. I don't know if it is from age/wisdom or just because my expectations were so low after TTC#2.

Fairy
01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
A positive is a positive is a positive. A negative is a maybe. Try again one day past due.

psophia17
01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I didn't get a BFP for DS1 until 6 weeks past my LMP, and even then we had to hold the test at an angle in the sun to see the second pink line.

I wouldn't really trust a negative test until AF showed up...

TraciG
01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Should I be the first to say congratulations ? !! It sounds like you are pregnant, you're SO LATE !! Maybe you should go to the doctor to FINALLY find out, I would be dying if I was you already !

Let us know when you find out for sure !

megs4413
01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
beth, go to the doctor and have a betaHcg done. maybe your hormones are a bit wacky?

i hope you get that + soon.

megs4413
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
FWIW, it took FOREVER for my + to come this time....i wouldn't give up hope!

and so both of you know, the dollar store sells pregnancy tests, so if you want to buy a bunch of those to "waste" when you just can't wait....you don't have to feel so guilty!

o_mom
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree - negative could just be not enough to show up. Even the ones that say they can detect early are not that sensitive if you look at the package insert. Something like 50%-75% 2-4 days prior and 80% one day prior. That's all assuming you ovulated 14 days prior to that. With this one I didn't get a positive HPT until 7 days late and then it was so faint that I was left wondering and made the Dr. order a stat HCG so I could find out for sure before the long holiday weekend. :-)

JBaxter
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
With any of my pregnancies I had to be atleast 5 days late before it would show up +. Id wait and try again 1 day after af is due.

newnana
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
what she said. I bought a 2 pack with DD and tested a week early. That one was negative. I agonized trying to wait until the day I was due to try again and that test was a dud! I was flabbergasted staring at a blank stick for ages. Thankfully EPT was awesome when I called- sent me a great coupon book and a check for the amount of the 2 pack even though only 1 test was a dud. They offered to send another test, but there was no way I was going to wait for a test to arrive in the mail. Then the question was whether to buy another 2 pack or a single depending on how long it would take to work... wish I had known about the dollar store having them!!
Michelle

scoop22
01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
keeping my fingers crossed for you. my + didn't show till i was 8 weeks. even my levels were fine at 6. it's hard to sit and wait. i told dh i will never pee on a stick again... it made me so nervous.

again hoping the best for you
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

candybomiller
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I tested 4 days early. I'm choosing to trust the test. ;) Just remember, you can always have a false negative. Not so much on the false positive though.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
I would say wait a few days and try again. Or buy a lot of cheapies and test sooner. I would not give up on it yet. I know they are pricier, but have you tried the digital tests? I like those because you don't have to agonize over a line!

Good luck!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
forgive my ignorance,but wouldn't it be cheaper just to go to the doc than to pay for a bunch of hpts. that said,i always used first response tests.couldn't stand the wait.*just make sure you do it with your mornings first pee.otherwise it'll probobly give you a neg. i got a neg the night befor my pos w ds

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I was weighing out the cost- especially if they didn't do a blood test. $10 copay is more than a single test. But, I am dying to have a blood test. :) I just go on the assumption that it is + and will keep waiting for a + or AF.

I would go in but...I think I am going to switch care providers so I can use the midwives at the birth center rather than my CNM who only does hospital births. Guilt is keeping me from going in. I just want a + then I'll schedule an appt. with the new CNMs (and then push the guilt aside and get my records!).

Beth

June Mommy
01-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I bought a bunch of tests(like 25)for cheap from a coop or ebay or somewhere. I started testing at 7 days past ovulation and tested every day until I got a positive. I had 2 m/c before, so I wanted to be sure ASAP when I got pregnant. I can't remember at what point I finally got the positive, but I say keep testing till AF comes!