PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the amoxicillin down?

clc053103
01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
I am on day 3 of a 10 day dose of Amoxicillin for DS (18 mo old) ear infection. He's a big boy- 33 lbs- so his dose is pretty large. He took the first two ok with the dropper, but now he is fighting me on it and even spitting it out. I am dreading the next 7 days! Any ideas? Do you think he'd drink it if it was in his milk, and is that ok? I've done that with tylenol and he didn't even flinch.

Thanks for any help or advice! I am pulling my hair out!

Courtney

o_mom
01-31-2007, 09:28 AM
I would call the pharmacy and ask what you can mix it with. I know that applesauce is usually OK with meds, but check to be sure. I don't know about milk.

Also, for next time, ask the doctor for the higher strength amox. if you didn't get it this time (400mg/5mL vs. 200mg/5mL). It is a smaller dose to try and get in them.

clc053103
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
This is only his second time with an ear infection so I'm a total novice. I just went and checked my bottle- it is the higher strength one, and I still can't get it down! He takes 1 1/2 tsp.

Apple sauce is a great idea- I'm calling to make sure it's ok now. Thanks so much!

juliasmom05
01-31-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't think that there is a problem with mixing it with his milk, but maybe someone else can answer that. If he would take it that way, I would say go for it.

DD has been on antibiotics more times than I care to count, and still it is difficult.

One way that we have been successful is to lie her on the floor with her head towards me and pin her down with my legs. Then using a syringe, I try to squirt it towards the back of her cheeks. Usually this helps with spitting it out.

I still nurse, so I have also stuck the syringe in DD's mouth while she is nursing, and usually she will take it that way. I have even got desperate and squirted it bit by bit on my breast so that you would take it.

We even tried ice cream, but that was a no go. It's tough. There are a couple good threads with different ideas. If I find them, I'll come back and post links to them.

Good luck

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=351770&mesg_id=351770&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=284274&mesg_id=284274&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=364181&mesg_id=364181&listing_type=search

Marci

clc053103
01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I called the dr's office and they also suggested ice cream, applesauce, or even hershey's syrup (which DS has never had before, so I don't think I should start that now!).

I've been doing it in his high chair, so I think putting him on the ground is a great idea. Thanks!

Momof3Labs
01-31-2007, 10:12 AM
The pharmacy can add a flavoring for a couple of dollars; my DS1 says that it is yummy that way!

lil_acorn
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
My doctor also recommended maple syrup.

THe mixing with food and /or flavorings didn't really work for my son, so I would squirt the meds in with a syringe and then hold his nose. It's a reflex that they will swallow it. He'll probably be a little upset but it's more important to get the medicine down!