PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need some advice on back pain!!

MeAndMyStar
01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey everyone! I'm going to the doctor later on this afternoon, but thought you guys might have some input for me in the meantime...

I have sharp, terrible pain in my ribcage area (right side) especially when I inhale. I strained myself a little re-installing DD's car seat two days ago, and had some soreness in my arms and back. Now, since late last night, I can't even take a deep breath without it killing! The pain got progressively worse and tylenol, advil and the heating pad really didn't help much at all.

I'm wondering if I could have broken a rib? It is most likely a muscular strain, but I've never had such sharp, intense pain in such a localized area...well, I guess if you count labor... :)

So, what I guess I'm asking is has anyone ever broken a rib without any significant trauma, and any clue what could I have done to my poor back? My mom is here with DD now because I can't even pick her up. :(

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Marisa6826
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a pulled muscle.

Have you tried ice?

Even if it was a broken rib, there's not much they can do about it.

Keep taking Advil. You can do up to 800mg (4 tabs) at once.

Feel better

-m

MeAndMyStar
01-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I think I will try some ice now...thanks for the reply!

lvales
01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
You could have slightly dislocated a rib.

I had one that was dislocated - it was up top so it didn't hurt when I breathed - but it hurt like the dickens when I moved certain ways. I thought it was some weird muscle pain until I went to my chiropracter and he popped it back in.

bubbaray
01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
ditto this -- I've had it and it only went away when my physio "adjusted" it back into place. BTW, mine happened when our dog pulled on his leash. My physio said it is called the suitcase injury b/c it is common when people try to pick up heavy items with one arm or their arm is jerked.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

MeAndMyStar
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I think it does feel like bone pain rather than muscle. Maybe this is a good time to seek out a good chiropractor! Thanks everyone. :)