PDA

View Full Version : Do you and your DH know how to dance?

tarabenet
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Awww. Now I'm gonna cry!

I used to dance competitively, and teach, too. Mostly West Coast Swing and Country, but also ballroom. That was back when I was skinny. That was *why* I was skinny.

DH used to teach ballroom, but that was back in college. It was not his first love: that would be ballet. When he first met my dance partner and my dance friends, they made a big deal of how he was stealing the best dancer and all this nonsense, and he got intimidated, dangit! Now he won't relearn. He talks about it now and then, but no go. So I'm getting started back on my own. But for 7 years, I've dreamed of doing a demo number with the love of my life. I go to his ballet things, after all.

One of my new partners is a friend I met through DH. She's overwieght, like me, and she can lead. So we're going to be workout buddies. It is fun to go to the country bar and dance together -- freaks out all the cowboys. ROFLMBO!

daniele_ut
01-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Yup. Believe it or not, dh taught me how to dance swing and ballroom. He learned from the youth organization at church when he was growing up. He loves to dance more than I do, though, so we don't go as often as he would like. There are a few places here that have swing nights. We went to one the night we got engaged as a matter of fact!

I;m pretty sure that we shocked everyone in my family at our wedding reception when dh was such a good dancer.

KrisM
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
We took lessons for our wedding and did pretty well. Our friends and family all commented on it, too. We just wanted to do better than twirling in a circle, you know?

But, since then, and it'll be 5 years on the 9th, we haven't danced at all. At the time, we thought we'd continue lessons, but just never did it and don't have time now. Maybe in a few years.

Marisa6826
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
That's right, I forgot about your dance background, Benet!

What is "West Coast Swing" versus regular Swing? I even have the saddle shoes. :)

Our first dance was an Ella Fitzgerald song, "I'm Beginning to See the Light".

I was so surprised at how sore I was the next day after dance practice. It really was great exercise - and fun!!

Sophie SO wants to learn ballet. I had her signed up for classes, but it was canceled for 'lack of interest'. I felt *so* bad when I had to tell her, as she stood there with her little leotard, and skirt with slippers. :(

-m

Marisa6826
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
We'll be married six years on Feb 3rd :)

-m

bubbaray
01-31-2007, 10:31 PM
What, the chicken dance isn't a real dance??? So THAT's why people look at me funny when I dance....

Nope, no clue how to dance for either DH or I -- unless it involves copious quantities of liquor and dancing on top of a speaker.... Wait, that was 2 decades and 2 kids ago....

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

ribbit1019
02-01-2007, 03:27 AM
My DH taught swing in college, his class was one of the extras you could sign up with at the Fitness center, along with line dancing. :)
I am the one who has issues with leading, he claims I try to lead, I told him the same thing you told J.
He knows some ballroom but not all, we have mini lessons (I got a GC for him for Christmas) at a studio nearby.
We did an extremely simple waltz at our wedding I was very dissapointed. :(

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

pb&j
02-01-2007, 07:15 AM
No, DH does not know how to dance, and we've never done more than the "middle school slowdance." He keeps saying he wants us to take salsa classes together, but I don't buy it.

I grew up taking ballet, tap and jazz, and took ballroom dancing and modern in college, and I really miss dancing.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Corie
02-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I would love to learn to dance like that!! I LOVE to dance! Everyone in my family has
the "Dancing" gene (except my one brother).

My husband hates to dance. Every once in a while in college after several beers,
he would spin me around the floor Texas 2-step. He's not a bad dancer and he's got
great rhythm. He just doesn't like the attention on him. (I love the attention!!) :)

My daughter inherited the "Dancing" gene too! I was going to take a Square Dance
class with her when she gets a little older. Thought it would lots of fun!!
(She has done ballet, tap, & hip hop so far.)

maestramommy
02-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Dh went to a couple of swing dance clubs before we met, but he is NOT a dancer. For our wedding we did a slow dance. That was all he could manage and we PRACTICED for that :P.

yeah, it would be fun if Dh liked to dance, but it's not as if we'd have any time to do something like that these days, sigh.

C99
02-02-2007, 12:05 AM
>too well, either. Our instructor refused to 'choreograph'
>anything, saying that if he did, it's all we would pay
>attention to.

That sucks. Our instructor choreographed it all for us, which was really nice! So we danced to our song (a rhumba) together at our wedding, and a couple of times after that. I don't know if we'd still be able to do it 8 years later. Our biggest problem is that my DH has NO sense of rhythm. I mean, it's awful. He cannot find a beat in anything - my MIL tried, I've tried, our instructor tried... I think he is just hopeless in that regard. Guests at our wedding joked with us that we were cute because they could see me counting just loud enough for him to hear because he couldn't find the beat on his own. Our instructor tried to teach us a few west coast swing moves, but he hated it.

Marisa6826
02-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Like, for real - ballroom, foxtrot, etc. - not chicken dance! ;)

We've taken both swing dancing and ballroom lessons. Swing was just for fun. I loved it, he hated it. In fact, it caused one of the biggest fights we've had in 8 years, when I told him that he wasn't leading with enough certainty. D'oh! You'd think I insulted his mother! :P

We took foxtrot lessons for our wedding. That didn't go over too well, either. Our instructor refused to 'choreograph' anything, saying that if he did, it's all we would pay attention to.

Well, J was so freaked out, that he started around the dance floor backward. So every time we hit a corner, we got in deeper and deeper. Eventually, we were both laughing so hard, the band leader took a cue and called the rest of the guests out onto the floor.

I love to dance. It really sucked that I danced exactly once with my DH at the wedding. He has refused to dance since then. *sigh*

-m

newnana
02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I used to and LOVE to dance. I'll dance any style- ballroom, swing, line dancing,you name it. DH hates dancing. The last time he danced was our one song at our wedding. It makes me sad.
Michelle

ctmom
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
what about the Hokey Pokey?? We love to dance to that...Seriously, neither of us have any rhythm, but I like to pretend I do!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

octmom
02-02-2007, 10:15 AM
DH is a pretty good dancer and I can usually follow him all right. I am not a good dancer at all and am clumsy with anyone other than DH. I learned to dance in h.s. gym class and since I went to an all-girls h.s., we had to take turns leading. I developed some really bad habits.

We took swing and ballroom lessons before our wedding (married 7 years last November), but we didn't really choreograph anything for our first dance, just practiced our moves to the song a bit. Of course, when it came time to do our first dance at the wedding, I forgot almost everything I had learbed, and we fell back on the same moves we always did before the lessons, with a couple of new ones thrown in.

We had a few years when lots of our friends were getting married and we had many opportunities to dance. It was so much fun! And people told us we looked pretty good out on the dance floor too. It's been awhile and I think I would be pretty rusty right now. I guess I should try to freshen up a little before my brother's wedding in May!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06