PDA

View Full Version : Day Out with Thomas

linsei
02-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Has anyone done this? I'm just wondering what it is like and if it is worth going?

Thanks!

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

KBecks
02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I know there have been other threads on this, and from what I remember it has gotten lukewarm reviews.

JElaineB
02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
You might want to search the "Around the House" forum, I know it has been discussed there before. We went just before my son turned 3 and had a great time. He still talks about it over a year later.

jhmom
02-01-2007, 10:19 AM
If your son is a Thomas fan- absolutely!! I have 2 little boys and we have been 3 times. There is a lot to do besides ride the train (big Lego Thomas displays, tables and trains for the kids to play on, temporary Thomas tattoos, lots of Thomas stuff to buy of course. The look on their faces when they see the "real Thomas" is priceless. Have fun!

Kerri

KrisM
02-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I think the reviews are mixed by location. We went last year and will go again. There was a lot to do and it was a lot of fun. It seems not all the locations have exactly the same things. Our train ride was 45 minutes and was enjoyable.

KrisM
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I think the reviews are mixed by location. We went last year and will go again. There was a lot to do and it was a lot of fun. It seems not all the locations have exactly the same things. Our train ride was 45 minutes and was enjoyable.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Ds was 4 and liked it ok. It was a nice family activity but I was a bit underwhelmed. For us the train ride was 20 minutes and while you were on the train our place didn't really do anything special (no decorations, no Thomas music playing...). I have heard that it is good to sit at the back (which we did) because if you are close to the front you may not see Thomas during the ride. We could see Thomas when we went around bends and such. To get a seat in the back we had to board very early- you need to ask your particuliar venue how they load.

Pay attention to how they do pics with Thomas. Where we were there were 2 photographers taking pics from dif't angles. I thought there were 2 so the line would move faster so I just went to the one photographer- and wound up missing out on the better picture/ angle. Be sure and take your own pics too though b/c the ones they take are pricey to buy.

Our place had lots of extras and some of the things were more fun than others. Tattoo station, story time, gift shop, art/ train building area, meet Sir Topham Hatt (just a guy in a big costume that couldn't talk). The way our place was set up it seemed like anyone off the street could participate in those extras. You don't have to ride Thomas, but that was the highlight. :)

I don't know how I really felt about it. It was like $18/ person and I would probably only do it if the child was really into it. Otherwise just look for a scenic train instead.

Beth

gatorsmom
02-03-2007, 12:55 AM
We went last year when DS was 3. I felt underwhelmed too, for all the reasons stated by the pp, but when DS continued to talk about it and be excited for months afterward I realized he ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. And that was the reason we went- for him, not for me.

So, even though I'll be bored to tears next year, we'll be going again. :)

If your son talks about Thomas all day like both of mine do, you should consider taking him.

BaileyBea
02-03-2007, 02:17 AM
We had low expectations but the whole family went and it was a blast. We got pics and enjoyed all the activities inside. We had a lot of fun and most of it was FREE!
That made it even better.

I am personally so glad we went. DS loves looking at the pics w/Thomas. DH and DS had a blast w/the trains.

Nancy

KrisM
02-03-2007, 08:54 AM
We went last year and are waiting to buy tickets this year. DS had a great time. I do think it varies by place a lot. Our train ride was 45 minutes and enjoyable. The place it was at was a lot of fun, too.

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Very good point. :)

My ds never talks about it and hardly talked about it afterwards. Maybe I missed that "magic" age for him and he was too old? Ah well. It was a fun activity that day. :)

Beth

linsei
02-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

I think it is a valid point that ds might see the event as much more fabulous than I would.

Is this something that usually sells out, or can I wait a while to get tickets?

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
If there is a specific time you want then book sooner rather than later. If you want the weekend buy early.

It would be hard to say whether it sells out in your venue as they all seem to be so different!

Beth