PDA

View Full Version : Another probiotics question

JFC
02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Okay mamas, I've learned so much from you all about probiotics and finally took the plunge and bought the Baby Jarrow for DS, but what do I buy for me? Can I take the Baby Jarrow too? Any brand recommendations? Thanks!

brittone2
02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
There is an adult version of Jarrow brands...yellow and white bottle, and the stuff is encapsulated vs. a loose powder. It contains different strains. Babies/kids have different flora than adults, so the adult version may work better for yourself.

JFC
02-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Beth! I'll go back and check it out...

neeter
02-03-2007, 06:46 AM
Can I ask another question -- when I put the powder in DS' water, does he need to drink it right away? I know the powder is refrigerated, so if the water is left out too long (and becomes room temperature), does it make the powder less effective?

Thanks!!

daisymommy
02-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I take the powdered version for adults with a green label. I have only had a mild cold this winter, same goes for both kids. Meanwhile, our entire church (which I hang out with several days per week) has been passing around the flu and cold virus all fall and winter long. I'd say the probiotics have helped!

FWIW...We've been taking Rainbow Light vitamins too, so I'm sure that's part of it as well.

On a side note: Beth--do you know how long the powder stays good for if kept refrigerated the entire time? Will it really stay good until the expiration date? That's like almost an enitire year, so I just wondered!

brittone2
02-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Not sure, but yeah, the expiration date is usually a pretty long period of time. Not sure if that's how long it is good for until opened, or if once it is opened that kind of voids the expiration date. I should ask the company some time.

We haven't been making our own yogurt lately, but used to do it using the probiotics in our mix. It always worked, so it was still alive even after being in our fridge for a few months. That's my only inclination it truly does last a while :)

Oh, if DS has a cup of milk w/ probiotics added and we leave it sit out on the counter for a few hours by accident, during the warmer months it often turns to yogurt in a short period of time. If you ever want to test yours, I guess you could try that :P Nothing like a home science experiment :)