PDA

View Full Version : PDD-NOS

Hippoharbor
02-03-2007, 07:17 AM
DS was just diagnosed with this yesterday. Have any of you gone through this with your DC and want to share your story with me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michelle

pinkmomagain
02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Michelle,

First let me send out a big ((HUG)) to you. While it might be a difficult time for your family (or it could be a relief that you have gotten some answers), please know that hopefully you are on the road to getting your DS all the support he needs.

While my middle daughter does not have a dx of PPD-NOS for many years she presented as such in the minds of several professionals. We started seeking professional opinions at around 3.5 yo. Now at 7.5 yo she presents quite differently than she did in her younger years. I'm not sure how old your child is, but just know that many professionals are reluctant to give a definitive dx at young ages just because kids can change so much.

Hopefully, this dx will get your DS approved for the services he needs to be paid for by your school district. My daughter received OT, PT, Speech, social group, and a special ed teacher to accompany her to a mainstream preschool. All of these services really paid off. My recommendation would be to talk to people and try to find really good professionals in whichever areas you DS needs help.

Really, now my dd presents with the following dx: anxiety, add-inattentive type and at risk for learning issues. She has always been in mainstream classes in the public school. She hasn't had an IEP since preschool however I am pursuing one for her now...

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me or post.

Gina

brittone2
02-03-2007, 10:22 AM
In my pre mommy days I worked as a PT and one of my classrooms was 3-5 year olds with PDD-NOS.

I'm sure the diagnosis is overwhelming to digest right now, but as the PP said, it will make it easier to assure your DS can get needed services.

Hugs to you and your family. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

JBaxter
02-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I have 2 friends with children diagnosed with PDD-NOS ( later termed autism for both children) They are in several different services ( as PP mentioned) through early intervention both were diagnosed at around 2. Push for everything you can the earlier and more therapy you can get the better. Both did some major diet changes and both stopped further vaccinations.

crl
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
DS is now 3.5. Over a year ago we received a mild to moderate autism diagnosis for him. It was very hard to hear. Please try to take good care of yourselves right now and take some time to think things through.

We were unconvinced. DS was definitely delayed with expressive language and had some other signs, but far from all and many strengths. We sought a second opinion (at Kennedy Krieger, part of John Hopkins). The second opinion was that DS is definitely not autistic. Not even on the spectrum. So, who knows for sure? I believe this is a very difficult diagnosis to make at younger ages. I am incredibly glad we got a second opinion!

We decided to ignore the first doctor's advice to begin 20 to 40 hours a week of ABA therapy. At the time we lived in a place where the public school system offered special education services beginning at age 2. (Most places this is age 3.) We choose to switch DS from early intervention to a special education preschool, where he received OT and ST. He made wonderful progress. He has since been placed in an inclusion preschool and is doing beautifully. He now speaks at age level. He is largely caught up on fine motor skills. He is potty-trained (yippee!). And he actually plays with his friends (normally-developing peers in his classroom)--even pretend plays!

I still worry a great deal about DS and his future. But I am amazed at his progress in the last year.

Please feel free to PM me or ask me questions here. I find the special needs board at MDC (www.mothering.com) very helpful.