PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine for compact space

Globetrotter
02-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Our washer is dying and I need to replace it fairly soon. The problem is, it has be less or equal to 25.5" inches wide and approx. 29" deep! This eliminates a lot of the top washers :( UGH

I really want the bells and whistles as I've been living with a 27 year old machine that is driving me batty!!

Any ideas? I haven't been able to venture out to look yet as I haven't been feeling so great.

Kris

2zeke
02-05-2007, 02:52 AM
I have the same space problem -- especially depth. I ended up with Frigidaire front loaders. I bought them 15 months ago and have regretted it from the start. I don't have a recommendation of what to buy, but I definitely recommend staying away from Frigidaire.

Janice
dd 10-99
ds 4-02

zen_bliss
02-05-2007, 03:00 AM
the LG TROMM might fit the bill. i think they're compact. i have the precursor to the tromm (it's a combo washer/condensor dryer) and it's smaller than my dishwasher! do a search the gardenweb forums -- everything about everything laundry related is there.

dules
02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Agree with the pp to check out http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/ - the laundry room section. Those people seem to really know their stuff.

Good luck.

Mary

Globetrotter
02-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Great idea. Thanks!

Oh, I will avoid the Frigidaire.

Kris

new_mommy25
02-06-2007, 02:35 AM
We have a small space and ended up with the Kenmore HE3 washer and dryer. We have them stacked.

Globetrotter
08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
UPDATE:

We ended up with the Whirlpool Duet Sport. I think it's the same as the Kenmore HE series, maybe the smaller ones in that series. The other options were the LG and a Frigidaire (sp?) but I had heard negative reviews so I went for the Whirlpool instead, purchased from Costco and stacked.

It does fit with a couple of inches to spare, but since it's stacked it looks a bit funny in our walk through laundry room :) The door of the washer faces the wrong way, but the dryer is fine - I think the dryer door can be reversed, which doesn't help us. Still, I can live with that considering how hard it was to find something that fits. I am amazed by how efficient this thing is - I did 8 loads the first day and it went by so fast! The dryer is very effective, too. Makes me realize how bad our old set was!!

I hope this helps someone else who has an older home with an odd sized laundry room!

Kris

kijip
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Glad you found something that worked. We have a closet in our upstairs bathroom for ours and we ended up with the Kenmores, which are the same size, also stacked. We have the same issue with the washer opening on the wrong side for where our bathroom door is but ended up reversing the dryer anyways. It is counterintuitive but having them open on the same side worked better for us. You will save on water. Remember to get your utility rebate if your area has one- we got $100 back from the utility company on ours.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

Globetrotter
08-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the reminder re. the rebate!! I had forgotten to do that.

I looked at our setup after reading your post but I think it would be too hard for me to have both doors face the wrong way, maybe because it's a walk through.

Kris