PDA

View Full Version : What do you do w/your child(ren) all day

calv
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
With the cold weather we've been indoors a ton. There is only so many puzzles I can make, so many playdoh things I can make and so many books to read. Thankfully I have a huge stash of new toys so thats' been a huge hit like new instruments and we dance around and play dress up.

ALl this to say that I'm looking for other new/fun ideas to do at home w/the kids. I'm going nuts and getting the winter blues. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

DrSally
02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Good question. We still go out, but keep time outside of the car to a minimum. We like the library, panera, and also this local strip mall (kohl's on one end, homegoods on the other) that has one wide, carpeted hall. We go there sometimes just to walk back and forth. It is fairly quiet, with a lot of elderly people who like to say hello to DS. The other day I saw another mom who brought her older DC there to get some exercise.

trumansmom
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
We're going nuts, too. It hasn't gotten above 10 degrees in over a week. :(

We've been doing all the things you've done, too. The one thing that was the kids' absolute favorite, and my absolute least favorite, was when I taped newspaper all over the kitchen floor, then taped art paper down in several locations and let them have at it with paint. I can't tell you how much paint I've had to scrub off cabinets and doors, but it kept the kids occupied and happy for an hour or more.

We're also cooking a fair amount. Cookies, banana bread, muffins, home made pizza, etc.

I was also thinking about buying several pounds of rice and making a rice box. I was going to put it in one of those plastice containers you put under the bed, and bury little "treasures" in it. Then I'll put together a bucket of littel shovels, cups, rakes, etc., and let them go on a "dig".

Good luck! I'd be thrilled to hear of others' ideas!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

MarisaSF
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM
dp

MarisaSF
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM
dp

MarisaSF
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
>I was also thinking about buying several pounds of rice and
>making a rice box. I was going to put it in one of those
>plastice containers you put under the bed, and bury little
>"treasures" in it. Then I'll put together a bucket of littel
>shovels, cups, rakes, etc., and let them go on a "dig".

Cool idea! I don't much like the idea of a sandbox for our house, but a rice box sounds great! DD would love the digging! It wouldn't even need to be very big, as long as you could find small enough treasures!

MarisaSF
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
>I was also thinking about buying several pounds of rice and
>making a rice box. I was going to put it in one of those
>plastice containers you put under the bed, and bury little
>"treasures" in it. Then I'll put together a bucket of littel
>shovels, cups, rakes, etc., and let them go on a "dig".

Cool idea! I don't much like the idea of a sandbox for our house, but a rice box sounds great! DD would love the digging! It wouldn't even need to be very big, as long as you could find small enough treasures!