PDA

View Full Version : I need Florida help!

pampamz
02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
DH and I are thinking of taking a kid-free trip down to Florida. I have no idea of what is where down there :D. We would like to visit Universal Studios but that is about it, Disney-wise. Maybe the Space Centre, but otherwise we just want to laze around and shop.

Any suggestions on where to fly into? We would also like a nice suite hotel with pools or beach...

Am I asking for too much here?!

gatorruth
02-11-2007, 10:12 AM
If you are big shoppers, then head down to South Florida. Fly into FLL (FT. lauderdale) and work your way north to Kennedy Space Center (about 3 hrs north). Sawgrass Mills is a huge outlet mall near FLL. Go to Las Olas Blvd, Then head to Boca Raton- Mizner, the mall- anything you want!!

Or you can head south to South Beach (about 1 hr south of FLL) to people watch!

Have fun!

karolyp
02-12-2007, 08:49 AM
You have several airport options to fly into:
Orlando International (MCO), is Orlando's main airport and is very close to Universal, but about 45 min away from KSC and Cocoa Beach

Sanford (which I've heard has some fab airfare deals and is very easy to get in and out of), is about 45 min away from Universal, and about 1 1/2 hours away from KSC and Cocoa Beach

or Melbourne - which is about 1 1/2 hours away from Universal and about 45 minutes away from KSC. But is really close to Melbourne beach.

Now is the best time to come to FL - the weather is wonderful and the theme park crowds are very small. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

hudsonam
02-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I lived in FL for a few years AND I worked at Universal (which is not a part of Disney, FYI ;-)). The Loews hotels at Universal are really nice. There's the Hard Rock, the Portofino Bay and the Royal Pacific. The latter is meant to be more kid/family oriented, but it's still really nice. And you can take little water taxis to the parks from the hotels.

If you do go to Orlando, you must go to Cafe Tu Tu Tango to eat. It's been a hit with every single person I sent there. I think they have a web site if you want to check it out. Bahama Breeze is also very good. And the Mall at Millenia is a really nice mall near Universal that's really nice to walk around (my DH who hates shopping even enjoys walking around there), and there are some good restaurants there as well, such as Brio, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory (just so-so IMO), and PF Chang's - really good if you've never tried it. They also have a web site.

Downtown Disney is cute to walk around, and the Ghirardelli's there has really, really good ice cream.

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are really fun parks. You'll have a great time!

pampamz
02-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks ladies for the expert help. This is exactly what I need -- it spelled out for me!
Thanks again to all.