PDA

View Full Version : Need help with activities for my mom

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-13-2007, 09:15 AM
My mom is still young (54) but has sort of resolved herself to being old, if you know what I mean. Her kids are all out of the house and moved away and I think she is getting depressed. She has a history of depression as well as major back problems which have required lots of surgery. The activities would need to be low or no impact. Really, I think she just needs to get out of the house and do something and be around other people. She works during the day, but is home by 4 and my dad doesn't get home until around 8. I inquired with the local gym about rates and classes they have. How else can I find her activities to do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

hez
02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
What about volunteer work?

My mom volunteers 20ish hours a week at the local hospital. She handles the front desk or the gift shop depending on the need that day. Pretty low stress, a way to interact with people and feel like you're giving. I've seen a dramatic impact with her attitude improving.

She also joined Curves-- she has her group of girls who show up at the same time every day, and they occasionally go out to breakfast or lunch. They're good at sending each other cards and looking out for each other...

Momof3Labs
02-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Or taking a class, like knitting or sewing?

Jenn98
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I second these great ideas! There are a ton of places that would LOVE to have your mom be a volunteer. Try your local volunteer center or call/look up 1-800-VOLUNTEER (http://www.1-800-volunteer.org/1800Vol/OpenIndexAction.do). Sometimes local United Ways also keep track of volunteer oportunities. Do you have 211 in your area yet? Try calling 211 (pick up a landline and dial 211, or http://www.211.org/)

And Curves sounds great, too. Keep her mind and body moving!

ellies mom
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Check out community centers also. Ours has some great water classes that would physically fit the bill and I agree that volunteering or quilting and knitting would be great. Both quilting and knitting can be very social.