PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy #2: How long was labor?

kaylinsmommy2
02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I think I've read one too many "I had my second baby on the kitchen floor" stories last night. :)

A quick labor is actually very appealing except:
1) I'm about 20-30 min away from the hospital
2) Our sitter lives next to the hospital, so it would take her 20-30+ min to get to our house once we call her
3) I just tested GBS+ so I need to be at the hospital at least 4 hours prior to giving birth...

Jenn98
02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
My first labor was 17 hours. My second was 6 hours. I started having contractions at 4:30am, got to the hospital at 7ish and she popped out at 10:30am. When I got to the hospital I was already 7cm! I just may have had her on the floor of the kitchen had I not headed to the hospital cause I was so comfy at home and a little anxious at the hospital, which I think stalled things a bit.

Piglet
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I can't really vote because I was induced with #2. From the time I was induced to the time DS2 was born was about 8 hours. From the time they broke my water at 3cm to the time DS2 was born was a little over 30 minutes!!! I went into labour with DS1 on my own (water broke around midnight) and he was born 11 hours later. Granted 6 hours of that I was at 10 cm and DS1 was stuck sunny side up... I think I have short labours!

brittone2
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Throughout my whole pregnancy my midwives kept checking in to see how far away I was from the birth center, etc. as DS's birth (my first birth) was right around 6 hours, which is pretty fast for a first timer. They kept saying statistically the 2nd labor is often about half the time of the first labor. I figured since I lucked out w/ a quickish first birth, it was unlikely that I'd go in 3 hours though, kwim? I would have believed that more if I had a longer, more typical first labor.

Then there was concern for a bit that DD might be kind of posterior. I figured that was going to prolong labor, although my midwives were pretty confident she'd flip just fine once labor started. I packed my car w/ tons of labor aiding things and prepared myself for a much longer labor in case baby stayed posterior.

My 2nd labor ended up being around 3 hours. (I think my first real contractions were around 10:15pm, an hour later they were coming every 2-3 mins or so. Arrived at the birth center a little before midnight hoping I was in active labor. DD was born at 12:58 am). It would have been faster, but my water didn't break fully until she was on her way out. I arrived at the birth center 10 cm dilated and completely effaced with NO IDEA I was that far along. No clue at all. I waited an hour or so like that until I had some desire to push. I just walked around and waited to feel pushy. So it would have been significantly faster if my water had broken beforehand (it did with DS...right away my contractions started with him).

My first labor I was 45 mins from the hospital we chose to deliver at (closer hospitals didn't have midwives available). This time I was about 25 mins away from the birth center).

Obviously there are huge variations but the statistical average held up in my case. I felt silly "bugging" the midwife since I wasn't sure I was really in full active labor. She was kind of on the fence about whether to call a nurse to meet her there or not, and I was on the fence about whether I really *needed* to come in, but we decided I should, and thankfully she called the nurse so she had some extra hands available. I joke that we very well could have ended up having DD at home (unplanned). I had no signs of transition, etc. like I did with DS so no idea I was that close to having her beforehand.

SnuggleBuggles
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Just wanted to try and offer a possible mind easer (certainly research it and talk to your care provider too) about the GBS+. If it is a short labor and your water stays in tact the baby is protected from the GBS. Plus, the GBS is in the birth canal. Not only can baby be born in the amniotic sac but even if the water has broken and they come through the birth canal the 2nd+ babies are often born after a short 2nd stage. So, in a fast labor with a GBS+ situation it has good odds of baby not being exposed to the GBS. And, GBS is totally transient. You can test + one week and - the next week.

Have a good contingency plan for things. Bring your dc to the hospital with you and have the babysitter meet you there if things are flying, for example. Research how to handle an unexpected home birth (supplies, phone numbers...I can post the list I copied out of the book they gave us in our hospital birth class but I bet a book you already have has that info). Cover all your bases so you will have the peace of mind that you are ready for any situation. That can help you relax. Plus, it'll probably be Murphy's Law and you won't need any of that info.

Average, uninterferred labor with 1st is 16-20 hours, 2nd 8-12 hours... It's usually the 2nd stage where you get the time savings. :)

Many of my friends have had fast 2nd births but they have all made it to their place of birth and their child care has worked out. Stay positive. :)

I haven't btdt that yet. I'll probably freak myself out about something if I ever have another even though I generally feel pretty good aboout birth and the whole natural process of it. :)

Beth

G

o_mom
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM
DS1 - about 27 hours

DS2 - 1 hour 45 min

We are also 20-30 min from the hospital. If I were you, I would enlist a neighbor who could come over and stay the 20-30 min until the sitter gets there if you feel you need to leave. Otherwise, take DC with you and have the sitter meet you at the hospital and just switch cars. Not ideal, but works.

shishamo
02-13-2007, 03:04 PM
My first was 7 hours, second was a bit over 3 hours. My third came out 20 minutes after iI got to the hospital: by the time I was uncomfortable enough to call my OB, I was 1.5 hours away from giving birth (and I could still talk fine on the phone). Like you, I waited for the sitter to arrive, etc.

I don't mean to scare you, but I vote for going in early and don't be shy about calling your OB/midwife!

momma_boo
02-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I was induced but it was quick.
They started me on the pitocin at about 7 am. By 12pm I was fully dilated and DD was born at 12:20 pm.
I only had to push her 3 times and she came right out.
(I was also induced with my first but it took me 3 hours of pushing before she finally came out).

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
DS #1: 12+ hours
DS #2: 1.5 hours

2 years difference between the two kids. I really think the body "remembers". If my mom wouldn't have been visiting, having lunch, I wouldn't have made it to the hospital in time.

The really neat thing is that since there's no time for the epidural, I did it naturally. I feel like I've joined some sort of "no drugs" elite mom club. It's cool.

newmomto3kids
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
I was induced with all three. The first was born in 5.5 hours. The second in 2.5 hours and the third in 3 hours (they wouldn't break my water due to Group B strep, so labor was a little longer.)
I was actually induced the last time because the doctor said with my history of short labors and the fact that I was already 6 cm dilated at 37.5 weeks that he was worried I would deliver before I got to the hospital and had enough antibiotics for the GBS.
Good luck!

asha
02-13-2007, 08:53 PM
OK, you are not going to like this. Still, I wanted to let you know that I was in the same boat as you are right now.
So, here goes...

I also live abt 20-30 mins from the hospital. I also testsed GBS+ and was ideally supposed to be at the hospital 4 hrs early.

That said, I have to tell you my first labour was abt an hr from the first contraction that I felt to delivery.

This time around my first contraction to delivery was a total of 20-25 mins. We started driving before my firt contraction started and were in the hospital for 6 mins before DS was born.

My mom was at home so we could leave the minute we decided it was time to go. Otherwise, we would never have made it.

ETA: Forgot the most impt part. DS obviously did not get any antibiotics for GBS during labor. So, they ran a few tests after he was born. The tests came clean, so they did not have to do anything. Chances are your baby will be fine too. GBS+ does not necessarily mean that the baby will be affected.

Good luck! I know it is scary.Hope things work out for you.

C99
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
My first labor was just over 12 hours, induced. My water had already broken, but I wasn't in labor. They started pit at about 1 p.m. and I had the baby at 1:30 a.m. after 90 minutes of pushing.

Second labor was about 7 hours. My water broke at 5 a.m., labor started immediately afterward. Called my babysitters at 6 a.m. - my BIL got there right away, my MIL (who lives 45 minutes away) got there 15 minutes later. Got to the hospital at 7 a.m., checked at 8 a.m., IV line started at 9 a.m. (also GBS+), had baby at 1:30 p.m. after 30 minutes of pushing (barely).

SpaceGal
02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm quite curious to hear what others have experienced as well. I just found out I was GBS+ too, and I did ask a few questions when I found out but when I got home and did more research I began to get more nervous about getting to the hospital in time to get the antibiotics. I had DS fairly quickly so I'm nervous as well.

Good luck with your labor and delivery. I'm sure all will work out. It's just the nerves that are getting the best of you now...at least I think that's what is getting me. :)

MarisaSF
02-13-2007, 11:27 PM
No BTDT experience yet (though I don't think it's possible for my 2nd labor to be any longer than my first was, knowck on wood. :P), but I just wanted to say I'm thinking about you in this final stretch! I can't believe how close you are! Can't wait to meet the little one!

AngelaS
02-14-2007, 06:57 AM
I checked 7 to 9. My water was broken by my midwife at the hospital around 5:30pm and G was born drug free at 2:11 am. She was my shortest labor....and shortest kid.....hmm.... ;)