PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking out a microwave too...

TLC1994
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
In addition to needing a new toaster over (see other post) I also need a new microwave. The one we have is about 20 yrs. old and it's just time to replace it.

Looks like Consumer Reports rates GE's highly, so I think I want to go with them. I guess my only question is how necessary is the SENSOR COOKING feature? We don't do a ton of cooking in the microwave - microwave popcorn, defrosting frozen food, reheat a cup of coffee, reheat some leftovers - no "major" cooking. Is it a feature I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help!!

hudsonam
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
We just recently replaced the microwave we got as a wedding gift. We searched and searched and finally decided on a Kenmore from Sears. It had the right combination of size, color and sale price. :) Here's the one we got, and it's worked very well for us.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&cat=Microwaves&subcat=Countertop+Microwaves&pid=02066022000

We also don't do a ton of cooking in the microwave, but do our fair share of defrosting, reheating and making popcorn. I don't think you'd really need the sensor feature. I definitely don't think you'd ever miss it. I'm not even sure if ours has it or not. This one is not too small, but not huge. It holds a large dinner plate with room to spare, and everything else we might want to heat up or defrost. HTH!

ETA: I just read a couple of the reviews, and I am suprised some are not great. I do have the issue of it sliding towards you when you open the door, but it's really not a big deal at all. And I'm very picky about what I spend my money on. ;)

cellenly
02-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Generally, I only reheat, defrost frozen food, soften/melt butter. The only time I cook sometthing is to steam food.

I too got a kenmore about 6 months ago
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Microwaves&pid=02063252000&vertical=APPL&subcat=Countertop+Microwaves&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

mine has the sensor cooking feature, and I was excited about using it, but when I tried it, it didn't quite work as well as I had hoped. meaning, I steamed my broccoli, and I like my broccoli steamed slightly w/ a bit of crunch, and what i got was broccoli steamed until *fully* soft. I don't know if it's b/c I didn't punch enough vapor holes so that the microwave didn't sense enough moisture or if that's how it's supposed to be. Anyway, after the 1st week or two, i stopped using it. I now just know how long I want my broccoli to steam on time cook. So this is the long way of saying i don't think you need this feature if you're willing to learn your microwave.

I generally like my microwave (i really like the soften butter feature b/c prior to it, i was always watching my butter so that it wouldn't melt), but i sometimes wish i had gotten a bigger one. This one is fine for a dinner plate, but if you want to put in a few items, it's not that big. i'd guess you'd have to goto the largest sizes to get that. but like the previous poster said, it's definately large enough for a large dinner plate & room to spare. it does 3 small pyrex bowls, but it may not be able to do 2 small & one mid size pyrex bowl.

TLC1994
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Thank you both for your posts. It seems like I probably won't go out of my way to get one with the sensor, even though C.R. says it's worth it (IMHO they're not always the final authority on everything).

I'll check out the Kenmore models as well (a couple of them are rated well too). I'll check out Epinions.com and see what others have said about microwaves too.

Thanks again!!!

kransden
02-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I have the sensor feature on mine, and I personally feel it is a PITA to use! Why you may ask? Well, DH likes it. I want a piece of quiche warmed up. DH uses the sensor feature to nuke it. Then ......................... 5 minutes later the quiche is done. If I nuke the quiche, it takes 1.30. Hmmm which one takes longer? Can I really tell the difference? No, not really.

What is the most important to me is how powerful the microwave is. Try to get 1200 watts at least and the ability to put a 13 x 9 inch pan in it.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02