PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day - what'd you get?

JoyNChrist
02-15-2007, 02:36 AM
I'll be the materialistic weasel in the group - I want to know what everybody got!

Guess I should start - I didn't technically get anything, because I want a diaper bag and there's no way I'm letting DH pick it out. So I'm going tomorrow to get my V-Day present. But I did get a really long foot rub when we went to bed (very rare in our house, since DH has rheumatoid arthritis and massaging tends to make his hands really sore).

So share ladies - the good, bad, and the ugly! :-)

tylersmama
02-15-2007, 02:57 AM
DH is out of town for work. He's not big on celebrating stuff, so I wasn't really expecting anything. He IM'ed me earlier to ask if anything had been delivered. Nope. Nada. Apparently he sent me flowers, but they didn't arrive. :( I was home all day except for the hour when we went to swim class, and I left a note on the door for Fed Ex (I was expecting my new cell phone) that I would be back by noon. I guess the good thing is that he's going to call tomorrow and get his money back, and I might still get them, just a day late and hopefully free.

Since I was feeling sorry for myself, I made molten chocolate cakes for my vday present for myself. Holy crap, they were good! The recipe made four cakes, so I have a feeling I will be making myself sick/fat eating them over the next day or however long they last. :)

Oregonmother
02-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Flowers a card and a really cute pair of sling back shoes that DH picked out all himself.

kozachka
02-15-2007, 04:10 AM
DH is not big on getting gifts in advance, i.e. he shops last minute. So on the way back from work he picked up few slices of cake and a small box of chocolate candy (Ferrerro). We planned on celebrating after DS gets asleep, which did not happen until after 10 PM. By than DH was fully asleep already, so I just went back to the kitchen to surf internet (BBB forums in particular) and prepare for my 9AM meeting today. And the way I found out about the candy was by seeing it in the kitchen cupboard this morning. No flowers, no card, not even a phone call :(. DH was the last person to say "Happy Valentine Day" to me and only after I complained at 8:30 PM (five minutes after he got home from work) about everybody but him congratulating me ;(. Where did all the romance go? I did get a massage while reading DS his nightly book. It was nice but painful as I started exercising (yeah :) )with a personal trainer this week and yesterday was my second session, and I am sore pretty much all over. I rubbed DH shoulders and that was the end of our celebration. Than again, I knew I was not getting anything for Valentine's so I did not bother getting anything for DH. For the record, at the end of March it would be 11 years since we've been together, married for 7+ years.

I am hoping DH has something better in store for tonight, it'll be 10 years since he proposed and I agreed to get married to him. Unfortunately, our babysitter is not available on Thursdays so I don't have high expectations. Maybe we celebrate this Saturday.

ETA: DH sent me flowers at work and a box of nice chocolates for our 10 engagement anniversary on Feb 15. I know he also got us bottle of wine (I wish he did not) but since I got back from work early he had some by himself and somehow forgot to offer me any. I did not bother drinking by myself. As result, this morning DH was just getting out of bed as I was dragging DS out of the house while he was screaming that he'd like to stay home with Daddy and not go to daycare. C+ to B-- to DH for romance.

thomma
02-15-2007, 07:20 AM
We don't "do" Valentine's Day so I didn't "get" anything. However we were snowed in (had a pajama day, ds' favorite!) and spent the day as a family...which was really nice.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

sdoyle
02-15-2007, 07:25 AM
I didn't "get" anything since DH had a snow day at work and was not alone long enough to shop. (TERRIBLE procrastinator) Instead we played "snow hookey" together. He drove me downtown so I could run into a meeting at work then took me to a fancy restaurant for lunch followed by a movie. Since we don't know any babysitters here, it was pure bliss! Big thanks to daycare for a GREAT Valentines ;)! It was a much needed break!

Stacy

happy2bamom
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
I have been with DH for 8 years and this is the First time that I am able to brag about my Valentines (typically it is a non-event at our house). After work last night DH took me to the store and I got to pick-out a brand new, beautiful, big refrigerator! I have wanted a new frig for 4 years. I think that all of my whining finally wore him down. It was a really really nice surprise. He said that he was going to pick one out and have it delivered yesterday (instead of the typical flower delivery) but then decided that I might want a say in the type of frig. He had even researched the different brands and models. Really sweet!

Kelli

BeachBum
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
DH made arrangements for a sitter, and dinner reservations. That in itself was a nice treat! But he also got me a really beautiful orchid and chocolate covered strawberries.
He has been really busy at work, so I felt really special that he took time out to think of me.

chlobo
02-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Well I almost wish I hadn't gotten anything. I really wasn't expecting anything. He got me some kitchen knives to replace some that had an unfortunate sharpening accident. It's ok, we'll use them but its not something I "wanted" or had even given any recent thought too.

Honestly, I would have preferred nothing if he honestly couldn't think of something I might want.

Ceepa
02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
We set a dollar amount so I got roses (with a Backyardigans lyric on the enclosed card. LOL) and he got a new knife for his cooking projects.

Simple but still nice.

-Ceepa

coachkath
02-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Since it was a horrible weather day this gave DH a good excuse for crummy presents. He had to commute with a coworker so I know he stopped at the local Mobil-Mart or something on the way home. Bought me a giant coffee mug with a pink monkey in it and a rose. Bought DD one of those fake roses and a balloon. She was in heaven! Not that I bought him anything but I did get him 2 cards from me and a card from DD and she was there waiting for him when he walked in the door wearing a t-shirt that says "My Heart belongs to daddy" and holding the card. He didn't get me a card as he said they were too expensive at this "store".
This is the same guy who offered to buy me the stock pot I wanted at Williams Sonoma (he would use 1/2 the cost from a GC I have),and although I liked the idea I didn't think it was romantic enough for V-day. So, instead I got a pink monkey....
I don't mind TOO much as we don't make a big deal out of Vday usually, but He knew it was going to Snow and could've done something beforehand. He works right by the mall with a Victorias Secret.
Ah, well. I love the guy anyway. And he purposely didn't buy chocolate b/c I have another 2 weeks to go for my work's biggest loser contest. So he was at least considerate.
Kathy

megs4413
02-15-2007, 09:55 AM
i got Cardinals tickets! he bought a 5 game pack of tickets....it's my dream in life to have season tickets, but this is as close as we could get for now! it's a big gift so it was a combo valentine/i'm sorry/new baby gift....he got in trouble last week and had to buy me something nice and i also told him i needed a gift for having his baby again....but this gift is SUPER! he's still on diaper duty when he's home because he got in trouble, though...he didn't buy his way right out of it....

we get to go to the game where they hand out the world series rings! each fan gets a replica so we're really excited about that...and i can't wait to take the kids to their first game together! (dd's been several times already).

LarsMal
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I got a sick toddler with a double ear infection. Woo hoo!!!

Lynnie
02-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I got the offer to choose a smaller house if we move and not WOTH anymore.... which means I would be able to look for something part time that I love and which would still give me time with the kids !!

Life without constant stress and pressure about getting two kids ready and out the door, into daycare and then to work on time, and then nagging guilt about not having enough time with the kids - what a concept !

And, my dad sent me a box of chocolate, and the kids each made me a card.

jgriffin
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
My dad brought home a box of ScharfenBerger chocolates for me, then watched E while DH and I went out to eat. DH didn't get me anything (in fact, he was out of cash so I paid for dinner! lol), but I'm totally fine with that. He's done plenty in the past. We had planned on making reservations for some place fancy, but then neither of us did, so we would up at our favorite Thai place. Yummmmmy! I bought him a "More Dots" t-shirt, which he proudly wore all day yesterday. :)

wencit
02-15-2007, 10:55 AM
DH sent me a delivery of three roses, one for each member of our family. The flower shop must have thought he was really cheap. ;) For fun, he also got me and DS a ginormous pink mylar heart-shaped balloon that's probably bigger than DS himself, about 3' tall and sings when you punch it. It's a riot, which is more our style than the romantic stuff. He knew I'd get a good laugh out of it. He also surprised me with some really elegant chocolates from CocoaBella.

I made DH a yummy dinner of rib eye steak, herbed grilled shrimp, loaded baked potato, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. He was a very happy man. :)

Lilysmom06
02-15-2007, 11:02 AM
My unbelievable husband picked me up on Tuesday night after he got out of work (my aunt was staying over), drove to the Honda dealership, and showed me my new Odyssey!!!!!!!!!!!! :) He had gone up the day before and made all the arrangements, I just needed to sign the papers and drive away!!! OMG, he NEVER does anything like this, and usually never remembers Valentines (and actually I don't think he realized the timing, but I will give him credit anyway). So, no more hated Honda Element for me and DD!!

Of course, it snowed yesterday, so we haven't even gone anywhere in it yet. But once DD wakes up, we are going out!

Kathy

lilycat88
02-15-2007, 11:50 AM
A child with pneumonia...a SIL with a brain tumor and mono...24 inches of drifted snow in our driveway...

Actually, DH sent me flowers on Monday because the weather forcast indicated that we probably wouldn't be in the office Tuesday or Wednesday...he was right. We also got a sitter for a couple of hours and were able to go out to dinner and for a walk around Barnes and Noble. We didn't want to be far away from DD in case she took a turn for the worse so we only went a few miles away but it might as well have been another country! :-)

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

“We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty, and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.� --Unknown

ChefGirl
02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
DH personally deliver a flower arrangement to my office yesterday around lunch time. Thus, we went to lunch together as our "date" since we have not sitter. He got me a David Yurman necklace with HIS birthday stone so it'll be close to my heart. I had chocolate covered strawberries delievered to him, and I got the kids a heart-shaped cookie.

shilo
02-15-2007, 12:17 PM
ok, what'd i miss? am i reading between the lines right? is jack here or is he still cookin'? :)
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
nada but a DH recovering from 4days of norovirus and a separated shoulder from aikido. you'd think being a PT and all, he'd listen to me on the shoulder bit, but no - if i say it, it's heresy - if a doc or 'his' PT says the exact same thing, it's gospel. sigh, i know this isn't in the bitching forum. maybe i should go check over there and see if there is a better thread to add to.

my mom got DS a target GC and a cute little painter's coat from an art and wine festival for me. so i guess technically, i did get 'something'. i'm just bitter b/c my bday falls so close to Vday that DH often neglects Vday and then on my bday a week later calls it a 'double' present. this must be how kids who have xmas time bdays feel :(.

glad so many of you got remembered tho. i have a great DH, but he pretty much sucks at Vday :).
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

scoop22
02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
someone else said it but i got the same thing.. a day off with ds and dh.. we got snowed in and i was off of school and dh was as well. we had a wonderful steak dinner and desert. i also got to sleep in today and stay home with ds. dh had to go to work but he didn't have to leave till noon. i loved this valentines day
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

maestramommy
02-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Dh got me a dark chocolate bar, La Champlaine Tanzania. It's 73% cocoa. Whoa that stuff is strong, I could almost taste the caffiene. The sweetie left it on my keyboard with a little sticky love note. I'll be doing the Charlie Bucket thing and taking a little nibble a day.

megs4413
02-15-2007, 02:13 PM
still cooking! don't worry i'll be crazy shouting it from the rooftops when he gets here!!! ;)

bostonsmama
02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
DH didn't get home until very late (8pm) yesterday, but we knew this in advance, so we celebrated on Monday by going out to a fine restaurant. DH bought me flowers in a vase, a card, German chocolates-dark and alpenmilch, which are divine-- and a bottle of German Eiswein (ice wine) from his recent trip to Europe. He also brought me home a case of my favorite confiture (Schwartau) in strawberry & raspberry. I'm in heaven! I gave him a sappy card & a backrub, but he didn't want anything yesterday b/c today is his Bday, and our *real* gift to each other was this ART cycle we're doing, so all in all it was a fine day.

Last night, we didn't even eat dinner together, but we talked in bed for about an hour and then did some "cuddling." ;) Not bad considering we've not spent a single Valentine's Day apart in seven years.

JBaxter
02-15-2007, 02:42 PM
DH brought home dinner ( sushi) and a bottle of wine w/ a card. It was really snowey/icey here so going out isnt an option. It was nice

bcky2
02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
i got nothing at all from dh so i took his cc last night and ordered myself the bare minerals set with the eye shadow. teach him to forget me }(

newnana
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
DH and I typically get each other cards. I got his 2 weeks ago because I happened to be out and thought about it. The day before Valentine's we had a "wintry mix" hit and roads were bad so DH said he wasn't getting me one as he had planned. I completely understand. But...

Here's what then happened on Valentine's DAY. 1. DH's car broke down, really down. Had to have it towed. 2. I found out from work that I have a few months to either move across the state or find a different position travelling full time again. NO to both. We're closing on a new house in March and I love my job. 3. DD started throwing up at 1:30 am and did so every 30 minutes until 5:00. Poor thing.

We couldn't be more glad Valentine's is over. DH and I have decided to celebrate tonight by doing nothing!
Michelle

DDowning
02-15-2007, 05:00 PM
DH surprised me with this bracelet from Mikimoto:
http://www.mikimotoamerica.com/news_events/headline25.htm

Unfortunately, its a little small for my wrist so I need to add a pearl or two.

Later we took our DD out to Disneyland to celebrate her birthday. It was a great family day!

Had to share her pics that were taken the other night:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/momtocnc/crop2.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/momtocnc/crop1.jpg

DDowning
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Double post

deannamorrison
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I received a card and a left handed compliment in the note DH wrote inside.

In turn,I gave myself an appointment to retain a divorce attorney.DH is an a$$

saschalicks
02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Is this serious? If so, I'm sorry you are going through this?

saschalicks
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
DH got me 2.5 dozen red roses sent to my office, but it came the day before V-day.

I got DH a heart shaped pizza and cheesecake from Lou Malnotti's in Chicago. He is from there and often rants about how he misses his favorite pizza so I got it for him. Unfortunately, w/the weather they sent out everything early just be sure it got there in time. He got his Tues too.

Jen841
02-15-2007, 10:51 PM
A snow/ice shoveling date.

Ok, weekend away last weekend (Christmas gift from the in-laws), facial, and 2 new suits on SALE (2 kids = no old suits fit and are out of style.) Christmas/Valentine's day gifts.

He is to make reservations for tomorrow.

Kungjo
02-15-2007, 11:17 PM
My present on Valentine's Day was a nice lunch and dessert with DH at our favorite Italian Restaurant (just the 2 of us).

My big present from DH was that I didn't have to do any cooking for dinner all week. Instead, he made dinner all week for me so I could have a break. What a sweetheart. That was the best present!!! I would have been happy with just the lunch, but since he offered to cook, how could I refuse? :-)

megs4413
02-15-2007, 11:19 PM
yikes! the valentine's day from you-know-where!!! so sorry, michelle!! is DD feeling better?

maddyzmommy
02-16-2007, 07:18 AM
My DH is usually underwhelming at Valentine's Day. One year he got me a lovely set of steak knives. I cried later since I'm a vegetarian. Another year he took our daughters out and let them pick out four pairs of earrings from a department store. Unguided. Think of country western super star stage jewelry. I returned them all. But this year! Ah, THIS year, DH was romantic. He got me a beautiful David Yurman cuff bracelet with three little semi-precious stones on it. I LOVE it. I got him a leather jacket. He LOVES it. In the past I've gotten him ties and books that don't turn out to be as funny as they seemed in the stores. So, after almost eight years of marriage, we finally hit our groove. We always celebrate Valentine's Day with a big breakfast first thing in the morning. I have Valentine's dishes, dorky I know, and I put little presents on all the kids' and DH's chairs. It's fun and the girls love it. But by Valentine's night I'm like a zombie because I get up so early to make the big breakfast! Still, I stayed awake and managed to have a memorable, sweet evening with my DH, too. I must savor this as I know next year might yield a disappointingish evening of Jackass the Movie and a robe picked out exclusively by the children, think Vegas...
Andi

newnana
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Megs, you nailed it! Yeah, DD is doing much better. She's giggling in the living room right now with grandpa. We decided not to send her to school today since this was an option and it's so nice to have her home. My dad is coming tonight and taking her home to spend the week with my folks. I have to be out of town for work next week, but that means DH and I can have a date on Saturday night!!!

And, what I thought was a drive train was just the battery to DH's car! Apparently the low voltage was messing with the computer in the car and made it do all sorts of crazy things. We're on the upswing for sure!

Thanks for checking on us, hope you're doing great!
Michelle

brittone2
02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
deleted duplicate

brittone2
02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
With a new baby, I wasn't ready to do a long dinner out, etc. So we had dinner at home but DH brought home tiramisu and champagne for us to enjoy afterward. Oh, and a cute pair of yoga pants because I'm needing some comfy pants for around the house. My parents came over and watched the kids so we could go out for coffee for an hour, which was nice. We only spent about 20 mins in the coffee shop and the rest of the time acting like teenagers in the Odyssey LOL :P We don't get much time to ourselves at night these days ;)

Oh, and best of all, he made me a much needed appt for a haircut for tomorrow morning (Saturday).